“Great find for the summer”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chinaskis

Chinaskis
Ranked #428 of 2,393 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: West End
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great find for the summer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had heard of Chinaskis through some forgotten source as a nice place to sit during those rare warm summer days we get here in Glasgow. What also interested me was that it is quite far up Sauchiehall Street away from the usual crowds which suggested we might actually be able to get a seat outside away from the hordes.
Tucked away Chinaskis is very much an unassuming venue. Inside it's a small bar, all welcoming dark wood and a fairly well stocked bar which I noticed served Peroni on tap - always a plus.
We ordered a bottle of Pinot Grigio and headed to the outside area to enjoy the sunshine. One of those rare things in Glasgow, (or maybe I've just not been looking hard enough) a nice outside seating arrangement. Some might see it as being tatty and ill-kept but I found it quite charming, sort of secret garden-esque with crumbling walls, plants adding some greenery and even a semi-functioning water feature.
We didn't have any food on this occassion, though I have heard favourable reviews. However unsure if I would eat here because as of late we've been wary of eating out in unfamiliar places because we've been let down too much in the past by last minute decisions in untested surroundings. We will be back to enjoy the nice venue at the very least - provided we get some more sun.

• Visited May 2013

Scotland
“Stylish and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Lovely bar with a nice atmosphere and quirky foor menu ranging from prawn linguine (which is amazing) through pizzas, burgers etc. All food is fresh, well cooked and tasty. Don't miss the chicken pizza! Best fish pie ever.

Visited April 2013
secret
“Yummy pub food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Me & my boyfriend were looking for a little pub lunch on a sunday afternoon! What a great place we chose. The service was great, friendly & attentive. The food was lovely & reasonably priced! Will be back again

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Dinner in the dark”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Came here recently with some friends for an evening meal. We arrived at 8pm for our reserved table and the place was so dark i struggled to see my friend waiting at the bar. We were sat down and given some menus. The table had 2 candles and i almost set the menu alight trying to read it. The menu doesn't appear to be online anywhere so i had no clue what to expect.
The waiter was very helpful and informative about the menu. I ordered the Bread & Dips for a starter and a Chinaskis burger for main.
The started arrived and was a little basket of pitta bread strips with 1 dip, some olive spread & some hummus. so not exactly what i expected but still tasty.
My main arrived and the burger was massive. I'm not a beef eater but the sound of this main really got my mouth watering (cheese, gherkins, jalapenos, onion rings). was very nice. however, my friend ordered a pizza with halloumi cheese and she said it was a horrible combination and could hardly eat it.
We had sat at 8pm and it took a wee while for our food orders to be taken. Unfortunatly it wasn't pointed out to us that they stopped serving food at 9pm. So after our main plates were taken away the waiter vanished. We flagged down another waiter and asked about desserts and were advised that the kitchen had closed but they could make us up some coffees. By this time, the place was mobbed and extremely noisy with quite loud music. We decided to get the bill and move on.
Four 2 course meals, 2 wines, 1 cocktail & 1 soft drink came to just over £80. So quite reasonable for the type of place.
I would eat here again but i would probably go for lunch instead as the darkness was just a bit too much. I'm only 30 but this place made me feel that i was a bit too old to be there & the Clientele did seem to think they had sole rights to be there

• Visited February 2013
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“I cannot recommend this place highly enough, well especially on a lazy Sunday afternoon...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

For those of you that want the perfect Sunday comedown environment, Chinaskis hits that spot!!
Lighting that is kept to a minimum, music that chills your soul and halfprice bloody Mary's, just perfect!
The food is just great pub food, what more do you need from a pub menu?? Though I do wish that one day they will bring back the goat's cheese tart, but then again, I don't live in Glasgow anymore, so maybe I'm glad it's not on the menu anymore, just cos it's one less to miss!!
What really amazes me though is, how the hell do so many pubs in Glasgow get the simple pub thing totally wrong?
Chinaskis hits all the notes :)

• Visited November 2012