“Dinner in the dark”

Ranked #508 of 2,473 Restaurants in Glasgow
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Came here recently with some friends for an evening meal. We arrived at 8pm for our reserved table and the place was so dark i struggled to see my friend waiting at the bar. We were sat down and given some menus. The table had 2 candles and i almost set the menu alight trying to read it. The menu doesn't appear to be online anywhere so i had no clue what to expect.
The waiter was very helpful and informative about the menu. I ordered the Bread & Dips for a starter and a Chinaskis burger for main.
The started arrived and was a little basket of pitta bread strips with 1 dip, some olive spread & some hummus. so not exactly what i expected but still tasty.
My main arrived and the burger was massive. I'm not a beef eater but the sound of this main really got my mouth watering (cheese, gherkins, jalapenos, onion rings). was very nice. however, my friend ordered a pizza with halloumi cheese and she said it was a horrible combination and could hardly eat it.
We had sat at 8pm and it took a wee while for our food orders to be taken. Unfortunatly it wasn't pointed out to us that they stopped serving food at 9pm. So after our main plates were taken away the waiter vanished. We flagged down another waiter and asked about desserts and were advised that the kitchen had closed but they could make us up some coffees. By this time, the place was mobbed and extremely noisy with quite loud music. We decided to get the bill and move on.
Four 2 course meals, 2 wines, 1 cocktail & 1 soft drink came to just over £80. So quite reasonable for the type of place.
I would eat here again but i would probably go for lunch instead as the darkness was just a bit too much. I'm only 30 but this place made me feel that i was a bit too old to be there & the Clientele did seem to think they had sole rights to be there

There are newer reviews for Chinaskis

Reviewed January 25, 2013

For those of you that want the perfect Sunday comedown environment, Chinaskis hits that spot!!
Lighting that is kept to a minimum, music that chills your soul and halfprice bloody Mary's, just perfect!
The food is just great pub food, what more do you need from a pub menu?? Though I do wish that one day they will bring back the goat's cheese tart, but then again, I don't live in Glasgow anymore, so maybe I'm glad it's not on the menu anymore, just cos it's one less to miss!!
What really amazes me though is, how the hell do so many pubs in Glasgow get the simple pub thing totally wrong?
Chinaskis hits all the notes :)

1  Thank C T
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I never tried the food, but the selection of bourbon in Chinaskis is fantastic, we just loved this place, no sign outside doesn't help, but once inside the atmosphere is perfect, great place to unwind and sample a bourbon or two, I have a book on 101 world whiskies to try before you die, and a good few of them are bourbons, so this place is perfect for me too tick a few off the list, the selection is vast. the next time I return I will try the food.

1  Thank JohnAlloa
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Been coming here since it opened and usually have a good time. Food remains very good but a bit expensive. Drink way too expensive.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Love coming here for a lazy day pint or an evening drink after work, never tried the food but the bar itself is beautiful. Staff seem happy and friendly, and the atmosphere is great whether its busy or quiet.