“Do Not Stay Here If You Want a Romantic Break”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #42 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Ireland
“Do Not Stay Here If You Want a Romantic Break”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights in October and were so disappointed. The room allocated was at the very end of a long corridor overlooking the dirty roof of the station. It was tiny. We asked for another and was told we would have to wait until the afternoon. 8 hours later we were given a much better room in terms of size/location but it had obviously not been checked. TV had not been hooked up and boiling hot water came out of the cold taps in the bathroom! Included in our stay was a champagne voucher which we were not given. We actually had to ask for this! Breakfast was served in a bare looking function room- there was no dedicated breakfast room/restaurant. Also no internet facilities were on offer. The hotel basically was open before it was fit for purpose. However, the tipping point for me was that when I returned home I was emailed the standard Principal Hayley customer satisfaction questionnaire which I completed and emailed back but that was the last I heard. I would have thought that at minimum I would have received some response from management but no. I won't be staying in one of their hotels again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Dear Blueskies7

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay did not meet our usual high standards. Being a property first built in 1883 and grade 1 listed, our room sizes do vary, however all have been renovated to a high standard.

We have resolved our issues with the water control, and all televisions are in full working order;
please accept our apologies for the problems you encountered.

We are very pleased to inform you that our Tempus Restaurant and Bar are now open serving breakfast.

Regarding Internet the hotel is fully enabled with WiFi service. This service is backed up by 24 hour telephone support. My sincere apologies that you were unable to connect to this service during your stay.

It is our intention to respond to all client feedback, as it is through constructive criticism that we are able to monitor and maintain the standards within our hotel.

I would very much like to welcome you back to the Grand Central Hotel in the near future and as a goodwill gesture would offer a complimentary room upgrade, on your next visit.

Laurie Nicol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (892)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

I recently stayed at the Grand Central Hotel with my brother while traveling through Scotland with my brother and was really impressed with the size of the rooms. Although the Hotel is old, it didn't show in the rooms, as they (at least what we stayed in) have been renovated to include modern fixture and fittings. The shower was fantastic - given that it was Autumn this was a major plus after having traveled from a warmer climate. Best of all, if you arrive in Glasgow by train, then you don't even have to leave the train station in order to check-in and drop off your luggage as the Hotel is part of the train station. Being so close, you would think that it would be fairly noisy, however during our stay we didn't even here noise from the station or crowds of people that assemble there.

Tip for first time visitors to Glasgow looking at sampling the local cuisine - avoid the Deep Fried Pizza and Mars Bars (both local delicacies apparently) unless you wish to run the risk of heart failure. for a safer bet, seek out the Loch Fyne Oysters instead.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and yes, I must agree that the hotel rooms have been upgraded to a very high standard. The general opinion is that we have managed to achieve the balance between the old and the new successfully.

The Grand Central has a fantastic location within the city centre and withinin reasy reach of the tourist attractions, shops and bars. An added bonus for guests is Glasgow Central Station concourse leads straight to the hotel entrance, I see from your review you also found this to be a great advantage.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

last time we were here it was a dump, the refurbished hotel looks great. We met friends in the Champagne bar, my round so I went up to the half empty bar. It took 20 minutes to get a bottle of £55 fizz, two serving three watching, the service was so bad we left, I think I'd want to know this if I were the manager, we'd have been there all night on expensive fizz if the service was any better, very poor!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skyewanderer
Dear Skyewanderer

Many thanks for your valuable feedback on our Champagne Bar.

Our Champagne Bar has proved hughly popular since we opened in September and is really becoming the in place to be in Glasgow. I am sorry that our service on this occasion fell short or our usual high standards, we receive many compliments regarding our staff and Champagne Central is proving to be a wonderful addition to the hotel, giving an atmosphere of
opulence and grandeur.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope we can welcome you back to Champagne Central in the near future.

motherwell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

Ive been at this hotel prior to refurb and wow what a difference....from the welcoming reception area to the tastefully decorated rooms,,,,and the champagne bar pity i was a rich person ic ould get used to this lifestyle,,,,breakfast great , and staff brill.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your positive review on Tripadvisor and for your excellent score of 5!

I am so pleased to read your review on the hotel, and that you felt the refurbishment has given the Grand Central Hotel that wow! factor.

Customer feedback is very important to us and it is always pleasing to receive positive comments. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Grand Central Hotel in the near future.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

Stayed here for 1 night towards the end of October. The refurbishment has been done to a reasonable standard. Rooms are nicely equipped and you get very little noise from the traffic outside or from the station.

I stayed here about 5 years ago before the refurb and can safely say that the improvements exceeded what I expected. My only criticism is that the corridors and landings are too minimalist. However a minor quibble.

Worth considering - particularly if you are arriving on a late train from the South.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I must agree with your last comment, the Grand Central Hotel is well worth considering, in the heart of a vibrant City offering shops, bars and restaurants galore, not forgetting the shear convenience of the railway station leading straight to the Hotel entrance.

I am so pleased you found your room to be of high standard and well equipped. For a City Centre Hotel you also mentioned you experienced very little noise from outside or from the train station, this is very encouraging to hear.

Looking forward, I am sure additional artwork would be an enhancement to our beautifully decorated wide Victorian corridors, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future to see any changes.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

Despite being almost at the end of a very lengthy and extensive refurb, the Grand Central is open for business and trying very, very hard to get everything in order.

It is undoubtedly a magnificent building, steeped in history, with a multitude of stars who have stayed there, including Roy Rogers AND Trigger! You are totally transported back to bygone days and your imagination really gets going as to what it must have been like when it was first built. It's a bit like the hotel in The Shining - thankfully minus an axe-wielding Jack Nicholson - with great long corridors, huge rooms, high ceilings, grand stair cases.

The best bit about staying there at the moment, is that the staff are incredibly proud of the hotel and at the slightest encouragement will take you on a little backstage tour of the building. Totally fascinating. During the work they have discovered beautiful, original ceilings, hidden behind false ones, stair cases and old fashioned lifts which were originally used for the staff. They have stripped the building back to its former grand glory, revealing marble floors and pillars and once it is finished, and the restaurants are all open I have no doubt it will be one of the best hotels in Glasgow. Although the rooms only went as far as the 4th floor there are three more floors above which they are also going to renovate in time.

Despite the difficult conditions the staff are working in, they are all more than happy to help in any way they can, and it is clear they are all eager to do their best for the guests and make their stay as pleasant and comfortable as they possibly can

I do think it is slightly unfair to make too many criticisms of the hotel in its present unfinished state, as all the niggles we had were because it is not totally finished. Apart from the pillows which are truly awful.

I look forward to our return visit next year, it will be interesting to see the difference and how it looks when it is totally complete.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sun Lounge Lizard
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the newly opened Hotel.

The Grand Central Hotel is undoubtedly something to be very proud of and this is quite naturally portrayed by our members of staff.

I very much look forward to your return visit next year, when you will also be able to sample the newly refurbished Tempus Restaurant, as it will be opening shortly.

London W1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

Having only just reopened after a £20+ million refurb, this is truly an exceptional building. Building work continues, however if you know this when you book it's not a problem. It could be if you were not aware. They try so hard to maintain a high level of cleanliness, but with builders constantly (but unobtrusivley) on site, it is difficult at present, but no doubt will improve as they get towards completion.

All the staff are just superb, from managers to waiters/waitresses. They could not be more helpful. We were given two seperate tours of different parts of the hotel by the Operations Manager and the Night Manager. Nothing was too much trouble. We had room 462, a very large double. Despite the fact the rooms still need a proper clean (builders mastic on bathroom tiles) they will get this right. Although this is currently compensated by the room rate, they are spacious have comfy beds, good linen, but cheap pillows! There are minor irritations, such as a non working remote control, but somehow you forgive them, as they are so helpful, and you appreciate the difficulties during this soft launch.

The Champagne Bar is a must, really fab, great atmosphere, and loads of cocktails and food choice. They were turning people away on Saturday as there was standing room only. Full of guests, shoppers, and people who just want to see this fantastic room.

If I had one complaint, it probably opened a bit too early, but as regular travellers to Glasgow, we will definitely be back. The history of the hotel is really of interest too, central to everything and bang overlooking the station.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Fairreviews
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor, as feedback is very important to us.

As with all new openings there can be teething problems, however I am delighted to read your comments and thank you for your understanding.

I shall be sharing your feedback with the team and look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Central Hotel in the near future, where I am sure your opinion of the "Grand Old Dame of Glasgow" will be even higher.

Thank you once again.