“ummm...”

Ranked #41 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“ummm...”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip. Upon arrival the staff were friendly, however they didn't provide log in for internet or explain how it works. Probably because to use it free in your room you have to re log in every 30 minutes, which as it was soooo slow, meant you barely had time to download your emails. My room was so far away from the reception area and not a single member of staff offered to help me with my bags. In the room, the bathroom had a message from a previous guest, "clean me" written in the dust on the bathroom mirror. I had to climb onto the dressing table to plug the tv in and the key card didn't work so I had to shlap all the way down to reception to get it corrected. The room was a good size, well equipped and the bed very comfortable. Room service definitely over priced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearer the lifts as its a large hotel and the walk from the lift to the far end is to...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for your review of your experience at the Grand Central, we rely on feedback from our guests to continually review and improve upon our service offering, and I thank you for taking the time to pass yours on.

Laurie Nicol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in the Robert Rowand Anderson suite. Room was stunning. Large bedroom, bathroom and separate sitting room. Lovely decor. Soft bathrobes and slippers, toiletries and canapés. The deal included a glass of champagne. This is the 3rd time we've stayed here and it never disappoints. The restaurant is lovely too, food is really nice. Very central location, will stay again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight to read that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly, and I thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed here recently for one night (luckily no more!) on a business trip. Reception staff didn't even crack a smile.. I was upgraded to a deluxe room, and yes it was huge but so 'cold' and 'bare'. Furniture was sparse, the bed was awful, the pillows were terrible. The bathroom was tiny, cramped and not very clean. The room overlooked the street and was noisy at night when the pubs emptied. Breakfast was one of the worst I'd ever had with disgusting scrambled eggs and 'stewed' coffee. Yes you could order lattes etc but at extra cost! And at £150 a night, an expensive disappointment in a hotel. I will not stay here again.

midlands
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I was booked in here overnight and as I have used Principal Hayley Hotels in the past, I assumed it would be fine.

it has been several years since I stayed in Glasgow, and I haven't been in the Grand before.

I was told that I need not leave the station to find the hotel, but when I arrived by train in the late afternoon, I walked the length of the station looking for the entrance. In the end I admitted defeat and asked at the patisserie store fir directions. "I'm sorry, but I can't seem to find the hotel entrance" I said, "you and everyone else" was the response!!

the charming assistant then came out of the store & walked me down the platform & pointed out a door way beside the ticket office, that I had walked past already, the main entrance on the road side is obvious, not so the one in the station!

I checked in, was offered no assistance with bags, no wake up call and no reservation for dinner and was pointed in the direction of the lifts

the doors have key card locks, the key of which you have to stick into the light switch to work the electricity, part of the "green policy" I'm sure. the room was painted battleship grey, and the ceiling was higher than the room was wide, so gave a very odd sense of perspective. the lighting in snot strong enough to work in, and despite it still being light outside, the room seemed dark; the reason for this was 2 fold - the net curtains at the window were filthy and the 'window' in the room was covered with frosted glass, to hide the fact the view was of part of the railway station roof!
however, the bathroom window was clear glass, and gave a wonderful view of the main concourse. this too had a filthy blind hanging at it. I fully understand it's not easy to clean the outside windows of a busy city centre hotel, but in that case seal them shut so the inside stays clean!
The walls in the bathroom were marked, the grouting was discoloured and the sealant turning black in the corners, the only positives were there was plenty hot water, and the bar of soap was a decent size

the ceiling in the bedroom had a huge water stain in it, almost 8 feet long and a lovely shade of cold tea, an obvious leak in the room above, flaking paint on the ceiling and either marks or scuffs on every wall. I have travelled on business for the past 28 years, and stayed in all styles and grades of hotel, but I have never seen a more depressing and dirty room as this.

I was meeting a colleague for dinner, & heading for an early meeting the next morning, so didn't comment in the evening

I went down for breakfast the following morning, but gave it up as a lost cause, as there appeared to be more people than seats, and the place looked to be in chaos; breakfast came via a well know high street coffee shop instead

this hotel was booked for me via an agent, and I normally don't stipulate where I stay, as long as it's central to where I need to be, but I will take steps to book elsewhere when I'm next in Glasgow.

it's a shame as the hotel has the potential to be great, I'm sure some of the bedrooms are as grand as the public areas are, but the one I was sold was far from good, I would have been better in a travel lodge to be honest

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I've just returned from a couple of nights at this hotel. Very Pleasant hotel with helpful local staff, makes a change from the usual branded hotels with rip off prices.

A pleasure to stay here and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a quieter room as some have secondary glazing due to the age of building and regulations.
1 Thank Shabbarank
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Grand Central.

It was delight to read that you enjoyed your stay, and I will be sure to pass the details of your experience on to our team.

If you are booking to stay again please feel free to phone us on 0141 240 333 for our best available rates.

South Ayrshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Enjoyed our short break at the Glasgow Central Hotel at the end of January very much. Very nice room with very comfortable bed and nice bathroom.

All the staff are to be complimented on their friendly and attentive service. Lots of smiles and friendly greetings as you went along the corridors and in the bar and restaurant.

The only cloud on the horizon was on the Saturday night when we returned to the hotel after being out for the evening. We had literally to force our way through a crowd of people who were totally obstructing the main entrance while they were having there nicotine fix. Not only were they unwilling to move to let us in but we also had to run the gauntlet of an horrendous fog of cigarette smoke. For a hotel of this class to allow this at their main entrance is most surprising. Whilst I appreciate that the layout of the building will make it difficult to provide smoking areas, I feel this should be a priority for the comfort and well being of guests going in and out the hotel. I would assume that many functions take place at this hotel over every weekend and that management should be looking at solving this problem at the entrance as a matter of urgency.. But for this I would have rated 5 for the hotel.

It would be a great shame if people were put off returning to such a great hotel by this type of very unpleasant experience getting in and out of the building.

Room Tip: Advise you request room from 300 and above range as 200+ subject to a bit of noise when functions on...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time to review the Grand Central Hotel, I thank you for your feedback.

As you suggested, due to the layout of our building our main egress for smokers is indeed the main entrance for the hotel. We do however have a station entrance that leads into Central Station itself, which is free of any smoking at all times. I am sorry if you were put off by the main entrance, and I will be sure to discuss alternatives at our next management meeting.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel 10 years ago and it was awful. I had heard it had a recent (isn) upgrade in 2010 so decided to treat a few friends to a night there. i booked 3 rooms and paid for the best available options - deluxes.
No major change since last time - rooms are nicer and the bar area is nice.
The quality of finish in the hotel is poor - they have dirty net curtains in the hall and the place looks dated. ~The reviews are true don't expect to get any sleep at the weekend. The windows are not sealed properly and there is a taxi rank across the road which has about 200 people + in it from around 230pm till around 630pm. I could hear every word so managed 2 hours sleep when the housekeeping ladies started banging on doors (before 9) on a sunday when the checkout time was 12. I paid for 3 rooms and wasn't even asked whether or not things were ok so i am telling you all as the hotel clearly didn't want to hear it.

Room Tip: ask for a room that is not on the main street - but also do not have a room in the station itself...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. We have indeed undertaken a £20million refurbishment, transforming the Grand Central into one of Glasgow’s most stylish, conference, training, wedding, banqueting and short break destinations.

I am sorry if you did not appreciate the changes that have occurred in the last 20 years, though I appreciate you taking the time to pass on your thoughts, and I will be sure to discuss them thoroughly with our team.