“Amazing stay”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Hotel was full with it being hogmanay and new year. However, the service, food and hotel was great. The family hogmanay party was superb with the amazing face painter and magician. Something for everyone.

Will definitely be back.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Thank you for your review on your recent experience at the Grand Central, I was delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed our Hogmanay Ball!

If you are booking to stay with us again in the future please feel free to phone our Reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

Laurie Nicol

Write a ReviewReviews (4,080)

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I decided to spend the night of the 31st at the Grand Central and attend the Grand Hogmanay ball. We booked an upgraded room (Executive double). The room was large and comfortable. The room was cool, but when we pointed this out to the reception they immediately sent up a space heater. The ball was great fun with a fantastic atmosphere. The food wasn't Michelin star quality, but I have had worse banquet food. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and the price was reasonable when compared to some other places at Hogmanay. I think those who are expecting a 5 star experience may be disappointed but we were expecting a comfortable pleasant stay and that's what we got, for a fair price. Can't ask for more.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at the Grand Central hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your festive stay with us.

If you are staying with us again, please call our Reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

the room was fairly standard, the bed comfy but what you would typically expect.

Location is excellent, asked for a room away from taxi rank at gordon st.

bathroom had shower with bath, and was a decent size.

Room Tip: get room overlooking train station
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Grand Central Hotel. We rely on feedback from our guests to continually improve our service within the hotel, and I thank you for taking your time to pass your on.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

really good hotel, been recently refurbished. really friendly and attentive staff throughout especially on reception. had some reservations due to the proximity of the train station and noise concerns. but no issues at all. great nights sleep, but a little hungover the next day - but you cant blame the hotel for that. really good room service, quick and tasty. breakfast was fantastic, haggis!!!! the champagne bar is really good for a few drinks and a whisky sample or two.
highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at the Grand Central hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your festive stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

What a lovely way to celebrate new year! The food atmosphere and music were fantastic. A lovely touch was the bacon rolls after midnight and champagne for the new year toast. The staff were very attentive and friendly. The champagne lounge is also a lovely place to relax in. From the front of house staff to the staff in the the restaurant nothing was too much to ask for will certainly return to this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at the Grand Central hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your Hogmanay celebrations at the Grand Central Hotel.

You may also be interested to hear that the hotel is currently undertaking further refurbishment, with the addition of more bedrooms and leisure space, including our newly opened Champagne Corner.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Well we got off to a bad start. We arrived at our room. dark dismal drab and a small double bed. Bathroom with shower over. My husband opened the welcome letter to discover the name was not ours but a person on her own with a similar sounding name but spelt differently. Fortunately we had only hung our coats up, not even used the bathroom. So back down we went. This time he spoke to someone at reception who seemed more clued up than the woman who had given us the wrong room. My husband said that he had spelt out our name previously so there should have not been a mistake. We asked for a twin bedded room as we like a 6ft minimum wide bed or two singles. We were offered floor one or four, we chose the latter to be away from street noise as they do not appear to have double glazed windows. This room looked as though it had been decorated last week, although smaller it certainly wasn't drab, it was quite attractive. The bathroom shower was a large walk in one. However, the door on the shower had been fitted the wrong way and water leaked all over the bathroom floor. My husband reported this on checking out. I don't expect anything will be done about it. I thought the number of tea bags and milk provided was miserly. Luckily I had brought my own supply.

We decided to walk down the grand staircase an admire the great chandelier, which we discovered was the largest in Scotland and second largest in U.K. What a shame that the marble staircase had to be carpeted, it would have been more grand without, but I expect that is due to Health and Safety.

We did not eat in the Tempus, being part of Great Rail group we were relegated to the basement . I had fish as a main which was O.K. My husband had turkey which he thought had come from a turkey roll of the type that you can get sliced for a sandwich in a supermarket .

Breakfast was a farce. Our tour manager had told us that breakfast would be served from 7am. We arrived to be told by some woman that there was no breakfast until 8am. She then relented and said that we could have cereal and as the bread was already there, some toast. Fortunately, about 10 minutes later there appeared a buffet of hot food.

We returned to the hotel after Christmas. This time we were on the 3rd floor, room O.K. and shower door was on the right way round so seal actually worked and we had a dry bathroom floor.
Once again relegated to Deli for meal. Can't remember what we eat, which means it was particularly good nor fortunately spectacularly bad. I must admit we would have like to have eaten in Tempus, but the one problem with Great Rail is that we are committed to a group meal at night.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

I am disappointed to hear about the error with your booking when you first checked in, and the issues you faced with your room during your stay. I will be sure to raise these issues with the relevant Departmental Managers.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

What appears to be an amazing offer at an award winning hotel proved to be a disappointment. As a round off to a Christmas holiday in Scotland my husband booked the scrumptious Sunday offer as a treat. We received a phone call 3 days in advance of our stay to advise that the hotel was busy and ask if we would like to make a dinner reservation. The dinner reservation was made for 18.00 but on the day of our arrival I received an email to confirm the reservation for 16.45. After a phone call to query this I was assured that someone would look into this and call me back. There was no call back and when we checked in we were told the restaurant was full and there was no availability but they could offer rom service with no tray charge. Room service was late, the food was basic to say the least, it was cold, the drinks order was incorrect and we were then asked to pay for our meal. The meal was paid for in advance as part of the package! The duty manager that evening kindly refunded 50% of our bill but unfortunately I am unable to recommend this hotel as both myself and my husband were truly disappointed.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Caroline O

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Grand Central, I was disappointed to read about the challenges you faced at the hotel.

I understand that you have already spoken with Andrew, one of our Guest Relations Managers, who will be in contact directly.