“Lovely hotel, nice staff, overall good”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #38 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Location was ideal for us. Main gripes for the room was we could not get our television to turn off and I slid while having a shower as there was no bath mat. Booked breakfast upon check in which I was worried would cause a problem. I enjoyed it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I am delighted that our staff were so helpful and friendly but disappointed by the challenges you faced.

A member of our Guest Relations team will be in direct contact to discuss your stay.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for four days. The staff was friendly and responsive. The rooms were adequate - good-sized and well-appointed. The mushroom soup in the hotel restaurant was phenomenally delicious. An additional elevator is needed. The location was perfect - immediate proximity to everything, downtown just a couple of blocks away. The bus to the airport stops three blocks from the hotel.

Room Tip: It is located at a busy intersection so a higher floor is desirable.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CleanfreakChicago
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

We rely on feedback from our guests to constantly improve our service standards, and we thank you for taking the time to pass yours on.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Took my mum here for a 2 night stay. Has been looking at a 2 night special offer, but when I rang the hotel the girl on the desk recommended we do a Sunday night offer (dinner bed and breakfast with £10 drinks voucher) then another offer on the Monday- DBB in a suite and 2 glasses of champagne in their champagne bar. I paid a £20 upgrade to upgrade Sundays room so we didn't have to move rooms. This worked out as better value, and I really appreciate the girl suggesting it.
From start to finish the stay was great- dinner and breakfast were amazing, very well done. Possibly the best hotel breakfast I've ever had! The champagne bar is a lovely place to chill out after a hard day of shopping, with a good list and very reasonably priced. The hotel is a grand old building but has been refurbished very sympathetically- feels very luxurious and comfy.
My only niggle, and it is a niggle- is that our room was FREEZING. Granted, it was October and it's an old building but they really need to look at some better way of heating. We called down and a guy did come up with a wee heater which we left on to go for dinner but it didn't make any difference. When I looked at the hotel from the outside, our room had nothing above it- I think this may be why it's so drafty... I think it was room 210 (or 201?) so avoid that room if you don't want to be in bed with your pyjamas and dressing gown on! My mum suffers with arthritis so that wasn't ideal.
That said, I would still 100% return to the hotel! already planning to go back for the January sales! I would just avoid that room.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gem1009x

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Please don't hesitate to contact our Reservations Team direct on +44(0)141 240 3733 for our best available rates for any future visits.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Once again another excellent visit to the Grand Central Hotel. We have visited on a number of occasions and each time have not been disappointed with any aspect of the hotel , service, standard of accommodation, food provided and efficiency of all members of staff continues to impress. We consider the hotel to be excellent value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a difficult hotel to review. If we had been on a pleasure trip then we might have been a bit more receptive to the candles and low level lighting. Not sure about that though. It wasn't a good start ,as after checking in at the attractive but dismally lit reception area, we found our room to be noisily located - and this after having phoned in advance to ask for a quietly located one. A big ask I admit as this hotel is slap bang in the centre of Glasgow with its rear opening directly on to the central station.

We didn't bother to unpack, and a charming young lady (Rachel) relocated us. The bedrooms are smartly furnished. But here is a slightly worrying thought. It was a mild if damp late October evening and the room was only just warm enough. We couldn't get the radiator to work and there was no heating in the bathroom. There is absolutely no way that this room would be warm enough for the hardiest soul when the weather turns cold.

The breakfast service was chaotic to say the least with a very small buffet area for the number of people turning up. We ended up eating breakfast in the bar area as they were so crowded.

We were there to host a seminar. The conference room allocated was long and narrow, and would probably have been fine if we had been sitting down for a group dinner, with its subdued inappropriate lighting, but not for a working seminar. In fairness the hotel said they were aware they would need to address this but it didn't help us on the day.

Given that this place has been given 'top hotel ' awards we expected much better. The only good thing we can say about the hotel is that all of the staff we encountered were charming and tried their best to be helpful.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Geordies2_13

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday night with friends for a night out in the city centre. It is an amazing hotel, really stunning. Staff were excellent, room was modern yet very well decorated, bathroom was a good size and again spotless. We even ordered room service which was fast and efficient and very tasty. Breakfast was really good too......................in all honesty, I couldn't fault it. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I am delighted that our staff were so helpful during your stay your stay.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Central last night and was visiting the city alone. Not being familiar with Glasgow, I was relying on the Hotel to give me tips on transport, directions and the area generally. The concierge was courteous, professional and the most helpful individual I have honestly ever come across in any hotel I have ever stayed in. He organised my travel, gave me directions printed my boarding pass, and just made life a whole lot easier - in true professional style.

For this reason I would highly recommend this hotel - this kind of service is invaluable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013