“Excellent hotel in a great location”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent hotel in a great location”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

To begin with, I trusted Trip Advisor and booked an outside-facing room and was not disappointed. The room was well-appointed and roomy, as was the bathroom. The staff was exceptional, working very hard to please and always with a ready smile. You cannot beat the location for access to the train station and to the shopping district, less than a 10 minute walk.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind words regarding our hard working team. Nothing is too much trouble for our guests and we aim to provide excellent customer service at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Please call our Reservations Team on +44(0)141 240 3733 to receive our Best Available Rates.

Kindest Regards

Laurie Nicol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
port seton
Reviewed September 15, 2013

after arriving in Glasgow on a cold wet day we found our room had no heating at 5.30pm I contacted services to be told an engineer was on his way at 7.00pm I went to reception to see what was the problem this then descended into farce the following three excuses were given (1) heating only on between 5.00 and 7.00pm they must have forgot I phoned down from my room (2)no heating in that part of the building.(3) eco friendly hotel ? the solution was to move us to another cold room with no heating but they would supply us with a portable heater.. for the price £119 I can think of better places to spend my money

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, I believe that you have made contact with PH Hotels directly once your feedback has been investigated we will respond directly.
London
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago just for 2 nights. The location (as the name suggests) is very central and handy for transport. The rooms were very small but comfortable enough. The staff were very helpful and didn't even charge us for the extra bed, overall quite nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your fantastic review and kind words, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We visited the Hotel for the second time since it had been refurbished. On our first visit shortly after it re-opened we were very impressed as the Hotel was beautiful. However on this occasion the Hotel appears to looking a bit shabby. The first room we were given looked spotlessly clean but there was a terrible smell in the bathroom. It seemed to be coming off of the shower curtain and we noticed the sealant around the bath badly needed replaced as it was black with mould. Also the bathroom ceiling had flaking paint and water stains so may well have been flooded at some point from the room above. My husband went to reception and we were moved to another room which also had an unpleasant odour in the bathroom though not as bad as the first room, not wanting to complain again we decided to stay put.
The staff were very pleasant and the breakfast was nice although we were on a B&B package, if we had to pay for breakfast it was definitely not worth the money they charge which seemed to be £16.95 per person. There are better Hotels in Glasgow with a spa etc. for the same money so it's unlikely we would visit the grand Central again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that your recent stay was not as memorable as your first, I appreciate your feedback and our Executive Head Housekeeper will be attending to the points that you have raised in the bedroom. I am pleased that we were able to recover the situation to your satisfaction. Do let me know when you are planning to return, it would be lovely to meet with you.
Newcastle, England
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed here overnight on business. A lovely 19th Century building pleasantly refurbished. Reception had lost my booking when I arrived late at night - but, a few nervous minutes later, they had found it OK. Well furnished and big rooms. Breakfast excellent ! Ideally located right in the station itself.
One possible downside? Electric heaters in the rooms and corridors suggests it might be cold in the winter months?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your lovely review, I am so pleased that you had a fantastic stay and I hope we have the pleasure of having you with us again soon.
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The hotel is located right next to the train station...some of the rooms even have views into the station. A short 5 minute walk takes you to the main shopping street and lots of great restaurants.

The staff was friendly and helpful....please note, the rooms are pretty small (maybe it was just mine).

I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your fantastic review of the Grand Central. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I enjoyed my recent stay at the Grand Central, largely because of the welcome and courtesy shown on my arrival. The Receptionist was busy, but took time with all visitors. She also upgraded my room to a double from a single so that I could have early access to it. Her manner was excellent and getting early access made such a difference to my visit. The hotel itself is lovely (I have stayed there occasionally since it was remodelled) and being so close to the station (in it!) means that there is some noise, but for me travelling to and from England via Central Station, the convenience made up for the very slight train noise. It was also useful for leaving my luggage there after check-out to attend a meeting outside Glasgow. All staff were polite and clearly well trained in hotel service and courtesy.

Room Tip: Rooms on opposite side to the railway station are quieter.