“Surprised !”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #38 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Personally i avoided this hotel when i have booked my own accomidation, but this time it was booked direct by work.
I am wary of old upgraded hotels as usually tired.
Location is brilliant if travelling by train to glasgow central , attached to station with direct entrance.
Smooth check in.
Allocated room 208 , lovely recently upgraded room , with a big bathroom, then the tannoy announcements boomed into the room from the train station, opened the curtains great view of the station platform . No way could i stay in this room with the tannoy announcements.
Phoned reception, spoke to the concierge , no problem sir, i will arrange a move.
5 mins later, concierge showed up and helped me move to the 4th floor.
Again lovely updated room , good size , well appointed , and great bathroom & peacful.
Nice bar and champagne bar, which as a classy feel , but not stuffy.
Only had breakfast, which was nice , self service.
The hotel is a listed building , so there is restrictions on what can be redesigned built etc, but whole hotel exterior, bars , rooms are impressive ,and nicely upgraded.
I would definitely stay again , on business , and with the wife.
You can get really good rates for this level of hotel from laterooms etc.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JonathanPaul66
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Central Hotel.

It was wonderful to hear that you took advantage of our room move service and that your overall stay was an enjoyable one.

If you are ever returning to Glasgow do not hesitate to contact our reservations team for the best available rate on 0141 240 3730.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Well, I cant really provide much of a review regarding this hotel, as we booked here for the second time this year, and for a second time we were sent somewhere else as their booking system had "overbooked" the rooms.

As it so happens the Grand central did send us to a very good hotel (Hotel Indigo) and provided a load of compensation (such as free breakfast, free minibar and vouchers for champagne at the Grand Central Champagne bar), however this is just not good enough and in my opinion is not how you should be running a hotel.

We booked this hotel 2 months before our actual stay because we wanted to stay at this hotel due to a special occasion - not becuase we wanted to be shipped off somewhere else...AGAIN!

Staff are totally up their own backsides and were not at all apologetic for the inconvenience of making this mistake again.

So....If you fancy a gamble, by all means book this hotel.....just dont expect to actually be staying here!

Room Tip: book a different hotel as this hotel will just send you there anyway when they "overbook"...
3  Thank grantos3000

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with The Grand Central Hotel.

The hotel does not like to make a practice of out-booking our guests. However on the rare occasions where, due to unforeseen circumstances, we do need to out-book, we will always try to arrange an upgraded room and compensation.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the manner in which your bookings have been handled.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed a Sunday night at the Grand Central in late March - found a single room at a bargain price (£44) on lastminute.com - it was one of their Top Secret hotel deals (which aren't exactly top secret when they show how many TripAdvisor reviews each hotel has..) Room very smart, reasonable size, heating was fine - and you can't get much more central.. Tons of eating options nearby for breakfast if you don't fancy the £16.50 buffet breakfast. Restaurant recommendation: Charcoals, 5 mins away.

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Central Hotel.

It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the premises.

If you are planning a future visit to Glasgow, do not hesitate to contact our reservations team on 0141 240 3730 for the best available rate.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

On arrival the young woman at reception was very pleasant ( good start I thought). We were requested to.pay our bill up front as we only had a debit card with us couldn't have a rolling account I find this very strange. When I paid the bill I was quit shocked at the tarrif as this was not what I had agreed with reservations. I had decided to go through hotel rather than a booking agent and expected to have a price in comparison or slightly less than a booking agent. When I queried this with reception next day was told would have to take it up with reservations. Also felt the rooms were cold considering the weather this was shocking. All this taken into consideration I feel that the hotel does not live up to its name of Grand Central hotel. The saving grace was the concierge who was charming and extremely helpful.

Room Tip: If you feel the cold please don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Central Hotel.

It was disappointing to read that you had a number of challenges whilst staying with us.

Firstly, that you felt there was a discression in your room rate. Every guest who makes a reservation with the hotel should have their rate confirmed to them, via confirmation, prior to arriving. Please accept our sincerest apologies if this was not the case.

Secondly, that reception did not allow you to open an account with a debit cad.
The Front of House Team avoid taking imprints of debit cards, as the imprint can take ten working days to clear. We do refrain from using these in our guest's best interests, however your comments are appreciated and have been communcated to the Front of House Manager.

We do hope to welcome you again soon.
If you were thinking of visiting our city, please do not hesitate to contact the reservations team on 0141 240 3730.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This was a really nice hotel, but the fact it was so cold let it down! My room had two cast iron radiators, both of which were off when I checked it even though it was snowing outside! After fiddling with them - they do not have dials - I managed to get one working, but the other one wouldn't. The radiators are controlled by the boiler which isn't on 24/7 so you can only be warm when the hotel wants you be! I woke up at 6am quite snug with the radiator on, but by 8am it was cold and so was the room. It was disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2013
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Central Hotel.

In response to the recent cold weather, the hotel heating has recently been upgraded, which unfortunetly affected some of our recent visitors. The system is currently fully functional 24 hours and day and 7 days a week.
Please accept our sincerest apologies that this affected your stay.

If you are ever returning to the city, please contact the team on 0141 240 3730 for the best available rate.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Had a great stay on Friday 22 March for my husband’s birthday.
We got an itison deal for £92 and thought this was well worth it. This included
- A luxury overnight stay in a double or twin King bedded room for two. The room we were given (Room 203) was huge (looking at the website I think it was an Executive Double) and had tv with all the standard Freeview channels (not that we really watched much of this as we were out on the town), bathrobes and slippers and had a huge shower as well. Very very comfy bed.
- 2 x glass of Champagne in Champagne Central. Very nice champagne. The Champagne Central bar was lovely to sit in for a while - very friendly bar staff – we had the Raspberry Cooler cocktails after our champagne which were lovely..
- A bottle of wine and chocolates in your room on arrival. The wine was nicely chilled in an ice bucket when we arrived – we very much enjoyed this. There were only 2 chocolates though!
- 2 x full Scottish breakfast. This was a buffet style breakfast where you could linger as long as you liked. Very very tasty.
We really enjoyed our night in Glasgow – also very handy for us as we live in Edinburgh so got a train from centre of Edinburgh straight to Glasgow Central station.
We hope to come back soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.
It is only through feedback such as yours that we can strive to maintain the very best of standards for our guests.

If you are ever returning to the city please call our reservations team directly on 0141 240 3730 for the best available rate.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Upon check-in asked for an upgrade and was told they were fully booked. I got to my room which over looked the roof of the train station. I went out for a couple hours and then came back to my room so that I could relax before dinner. I heard a loud thumping sound coming from the train station which was very annoying. I called the front desk and told them about the thumping sound and they said I could move to the other side of the hallway over looking the street and buldings. That was great news for me because the room across the hall ended up being slightly bigger and totally quiet (room 463). It was perfect, and I considered it to be an upgrade from my original room (458).

But my question is why did they tell me the hotel was fully booked when the room across the hall was empty and obviously of better noise quality? This put the hotel in my bad books right away, and if not for this experience would of given the hotel a "very good" rating.

Other than that, the hotel itself is very beautiful. The concierge was very helpful and friendly. Good central location.

Room Tip: Choose a room on upper level floors. Preferably looking over the street and buildings. Stick to odd...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Central Hotel.

It was disappointing to read that you were upset with the manner in which you room was allocated. However, the availability over the last few weeks has made altering room types more difficult than normal. The Front of House team-member who you spoke to referred the house status as 'Fully Booked' as we did not have any upgraded room types for you to move to.

If any guest wishes to move rooms, or opt for an upgraded room, we are always more than willing to try and arrange this, where possible. However the only options available will have been other standard doubles (both rooms you mentioned are of the same room type).

The Grand Central Hotel is of a historic nature and as such our rooms do come in varying shapes and sizes.

It was a pleasure to see that the Front of House Team rectified your noise issues quickly and that your overall stay was improved as a result.

Please accept our sincerest apologies if you felt that the team offered poor service.
If you are ever returning to the Glasgow, do not hesitate to speak to us directly and we will be more happy to give you the best available rate.