“Will not return”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on the 15th February with my partner after booking with an itison deal ... We had originally booked our stay for the 11th of January but on the morning of our stay unfortunately suffered a family bereavement. I telephoned in the morning around 9am and after being transferred several times I was informed by a well mannered woman it would be possible to rearrange my stay. After expecting to loose my original booking I was more than thankful at the kindness and ease at the way the woman "put my booking in the system". However when I arrived on the 15th of feb I was greeted by a flamboyant young man who after checking our booking said that no in fact or booking was down as a no show for the 11th of January! I informed him that I had phoned that morning and cancelled to which he replied that there was no problem with the booking system and that we could pay for a room again out of our own pockets .The way in which this member of staff spoke to me had me in tears as he basically said I lied about rearranging my booking and told me I had lost our money and that I should have remembered the woman's name I spoke to our had an email confirmation! I was not aware that I needed email confirmation for a rebooking nor was I aware of the woman's name on which I spoke more than one month after the date of which I was originally meant to stay! The mans attitude was absolutely appalling and I should have been given access to a manager immediately not a receptionist who could not have cared less! After requesting and waiting in tears for a manager I was finally given a room, I could not fault the manager or the way in which she dealt with the situation and my review in no way reflects her or the other members of staff! The room however was ok we had two twin beds pushed together which was not ideal and the room was stuffy and the curtains and walls were dirty. We had actually arranged this trip as we were intending looking into booking a wedding at this venue in late 2014 and although the venue may not have been large enough we had intended on booking a considerable amount of rooms for our guests although honestly after the service I received it ruined my whole experience of the hotel and training staff on customer service or basic politeness is not a difficult task! I have also read similar stories on trip advisor and do indeed believe there is a problem with the booking service and not my head as the young man at the desk would have lead you to believe!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Gayle C
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel with visitors on Trip Advisor. We pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and putting the customer's needs first. However, clearly your experience was not satisfactory and did not meet these standards and for that we apologise.
We will be in contact to discuss this matter in detail.

Best regards

Reviewed February 16, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed on Thursday the 14th feb with my partner. Gentleman at reception couldnt have been more pleasant and we made our way to our room with no fuss. Our room was nice, fitting of a four star hotel.
We made our way down to the bar, again very friendly staff, lovely surroundings.
This however is when it all comes crashing down. We arrived at the restaurant at 7.10 to be showed to our seat by a lovely foreign girl. Our order was then taken by a young chap who at this point looked and sounded very inexperienced. Our order was taken, with myself asking for a medium rare steak and my other half ordering chicken with potatoes etc and side of garlic bread... Our drinks order was then taken and arrived shortly afterwards followed by our SIDE of garlic bread, 5 minutes goes by and all garlic bread consumed with no sign of main! a further 15minutes goes by then 25 then 45!!1 eventually 1hr and 15mins later our main arrives but previous to this i akesd the young waiter to see how long our main was going to be as i was seriously considering visiting The blue lagoon chip shop across the road at this point!
He then never came back to tell us, so the really nice foreign girl that had shown us to our seats went and checked. She was very apologetic and said they had a problem with their fryer... problems happen but it would just have been nice to be informed 1hr and 15 mins earlier.
Anyway eventually food arrived and my steak was well done and my partners chicken was dry and placed on what looked like a bed of baked beans, not good!!
We then ordered strawberry cheesecake which i can best desrcibe as angel delight on an out of date rich tea biscuit!
So after finishing dessert the young inexperienced waiter lifted our plates, no Q of did u enjoy? or would you like coffee?, just can i get you the Bill? Eh Yes Please... now all of the above did not anger me as it became quite comical as it seemed to be happening all around us. .
Staff need better training and the chef i hope just had an off night!
the rest of the evening was very pleasent with nice staff and great surroundings. Had a good night sleep and would consider possibly returning but would certainly eat out.
The next morning on checking out i mentioned at reception, the receptionist couldnt have been nicer. I didnt want anything off the bill as i pay for what i drink and unlike many others wasn't looking for a freebie or compensation for the terrible restaurant experience just wanted to give feedback.
You have some great staff in house but need to work on training others.

2  Thank jarthurd

Thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel.

We pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and putting the customer's needs first. However, clearly your experience was not satisfactory and did not meet these standards and for that we apologize.

I hope you can view this as an isolated event and give us the opportunity to provide our award winning service, on your next visit to Glasgow.

We will be in touch with you to discuss this further.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I booked the Grand Central fro myself and my wife, for Valentines. We got a fantastic deal which included King upgrade, bottle of wine and chocolates and robes and slippers for £119. The reservations manager allowed me to change to chocolates form strawberries with no fuss, after the surprise was let out the bag when a male from the hotel phoned us and my wife answered (it was the hotel and not Late Rooms as the reservations manager thought, we confirmed this with Late Rooms ) Disappointed, but made up for by the reservation managers thoughfulness. We arrived a little early, and were allowed to check into our room when it was ready, we left our bag at noon with concierge and went off for lunch, arriving back at 2.15pm and into our clean, fresh and modern room on the 3rd floor, at the back, overlooking Central Stations' glass-roofed concourse. Tannoy announcements could be heard, but very muffled, not an issue. Chocolates were in our room, wine was brought up shortly after we checked in. No robes or slippers. I enquired, said it would be dealt with. We enjoyed an Afternoon Tea with Prosecco in the Champagne Central Bar (Our new favourite place, we WILL be back there reegularly) Staff in the bar were really lovely!! Decor is modern and inviting, we could have relaxed there all day!! We went back to our room, asked about robes and slippers, again, said it would be sorted. I enjoyed a super amazing shower, good pressure and temperature, easy to work. TV was on wall, great quality sound and picture. On way out to dinner, mentioned robes again. told by gentleman at reception they had problems with them and other guests had complained, so I said ok, he apologised and said they would be in room when we got back. Got back much later, after a few glasses of champagne in the hotel bar, 11pm...STILL NO ROBES!! lol. This may sound tedious, but it WAS advertised and my wife was under the weather, we were both looking forward to snuggling up with them earlier on.Another gentleman from reception eventually brought them up at 11.15pm! He said ''problem is, they are hard to come by''... I said then they shouldn't be advertised widely. Good sleep, amazing bed!! Very warm though, heating cannot be adjusted, an issue but not to bad as only one night. Breakfast was really good, plentiful, and fresh, however croissants were stale. Some staff really need to SMILE!!! it was early, but a smile and hello would be good, and not hover with coffe jugs like stalkers, it was off putting. This WAS a great place, we WILL definetley be back, but they need to deliver in all areas, and assure that things improve with regards to delivering the advertised offers, and when you say you will be back or will sort it out, make sure you do and dont just disappear (concierge guy with dark hair said he would track down robes at one point and never came back after he delivered ice which couldn't come with the wine as the guy said ''I have ran out of ice, do u need any, to which I said yes, and he never came back either!!) We were appeciative of the time there, but some others wouldn't have put up with the slow delivery of robes for example! Would reccomend it to all though brushing up on service delivery is required :)))))

1  Thank Alan F

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Grand Central.

We welcome all feedback as this is how we learn and how we grow; not only as a brand, but as a team.

We would like to apologise for the delay in your bathrobes reaching you.
We hope you can view this as an isolated event and give us the opportunity to provide our award winning service, on your next visit to Glasgow.

One of our Guest Relation Managers will be in touch with you in relation to your next stay.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night in January, as we were attending a function in the city. It's a fantastic location, right in the city centre and adjacent to the Central Station, however after being impressed with the entrance and the warm, friendly service at reception, we were disappointed when we reached our room for the evening. On the third floor, and overlooking one of the main city centre streets, the room was stuffy with a slightly musty, stale smell, and the decor could certainly have been doing with freshening up. Staff were great, and there is a fantastic champagne bar overlooking the station concourse which is a must-visit, however, at £135 per room we felt the accommodation under-delivered - its definitely Central but our room unfortunately was not very Grand.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and review.

Our most sincere apologies that your bedroom did not meet your expectations. We would have loved the opportunity to make your stay more comfortable however, your concerns are noted and will be immediately addressed.

We are happy to hear that our central location, our Champagne Bar and friendly staff helped you enjoy your stay, overall.

We hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel, very soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Loved it. Great welcome. Could not be handier for the shops and eating out. Lovely clean room with massive bed and great shower. This is now our hotel of choice. We used to be Hilton and Raddison fans but now we love the Grand Central. Thank you

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to review our hotel.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Grand Central Hotel and look forward to your next visit, where we can repeat your experience all over again.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 14, 2013

It was maybe just my room (319) but I found a number of things I could not control to make my stay uncomfortable. The heating was on full blast, I tried to adjust the nozzle but it didn't seem to do anything. The window for safety reasons can only open so far about an inch, which when your boiling is useless. The bed had 3 pillows bit awkward for couples. The bathroom fixtures i.e the shower door the seals had gone so the floor got absolutely soaked when having a shower. The clothes hanger was poorly fitted to the wall and looked like it was about to fall off. The wi-fi is £10 for 24 hours YES £10! Or 30 min free with the pain of having to re log in which is a pain. Staff were friendly and the sheer size of the place is quite impressive. The room was clean and its location is ideal. Would I choose to stay here again though......NO. There is nothing worse than a restless night because you are to hot. Value for money can be had in other hotels which offer fully functional windows and free wi-fi.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel with visitors on TripAdvisor.

We will be in contact to discuss this matter in detail.