“very comfortable”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed for one night in December when attending function. Room was lovely Visited the champange bar before function it very glam and very busy. Function was great as was meal..Breakfast was excellent . No pronblem leaving our bags at hotel after breakfast spent the day shopping , drinks and and meal, collected bags about 7p.m the train home . Would definitely stay again. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for sharing your visit to The Grand Central with the world.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the hospitality that we have to offer our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your return visit!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Grand Central is certainly grand; it has retained all the proportions of a historic big station hotel, although I remember certainly the ground floors being used for different things 20 years ago. Service was great - nice welcome at the desk, helpful porter, and the rooms are clean and a good size. The breakfast buffet - although it took a bit of a walk to find it - was outstanding.

I'd only have two minor criticisms - first, this is (as the name suggests) very central, and there's a major taxi rank outside, so it can get noisy outside in the late evening. My night's sleep wasn't undisturbed... but then that location is fantastic for getting around the city centre.

Second, the place is looking just a little scuffed now - nothing terrible, but it's losing just a little bit of its lustre. Luckily, I got an excellent price for a night's stay, and can't complain.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and review.

We are happy to hear that our central location and friendly staff helped you enjoy your stay, overall.

I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel, very soon.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel has undergone a magnificent upgrade without loosing any of its character and charm
Its location in the city makes it a central base for all of Glasgows attractions
Dont miss out on any special deals which they run from time to time through such sites a as itison and groupon
They did a fantastic deal last friday for two which included a glass of champagne a ten pounds drink voucher dinner bed and breakfast for the sum of £109.00 great value

The satff and food was great and they also gave a bottle of wine per room which you could take down to dinner again many places would not have allowed that

They have a fabulous Champagne bar not cheep but classy
The rooms have been refurbished to a high standard
The buffet breakfast has everything and eat as much as you like

WILL I REURN MOST CERTAINLY EXTREMELY TREMENDOUS VALUE FOR MONEY

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank andrewbhm
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you for sharing your visit to The Grand Central Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I visited this hotel recently with quite a large group. It wasnt a hassle to check in and the staff were as friendly as could be. The rooms are beautiful as well as the bathroom. It is very local but the only downside is the noise. I struggled to get to sleep for a while with the noise outside but it was a Saturday night so it was expected. Would definitely visit this hotel again. Also, visit the restaurant as our tea was amazing.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us again at The Grand Central.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Booked an executive double for a treat. Wrong move!!!. The room itself was very nice but boy was it cold. The bathroom was like an ice box and smelled a bit damp.The room was fairly large with 2 rather small cast iron heaters, one of which was half hot. Was so glad of the fluffy robe( with no belt?) I wore it over my clothes to keep me warm.
The view from one window was a wall and the other looked over the glass ceiling of the station. So we just closed the curtains hoping to keep the heat in.
When we went to dinner was asked by an employee ( turned out to be duty manager who was very nice) how our stay was going. Explained about coldness of room and he sent someone up to sort it.
After dinner went back to room and got coats to go out. Heater was on( must have bled it). In my opinion these heaters are insufficient for the area needing to be heated.
When we returned to our room not only was it still cold the noise coming from a function going on was very loud and went on to the early hours of the morning.
I am annoyed that we wasted our money on the upgrade and should have gone for a standard small cosy double as described by others on trip advisor

1  Thank jintyminty
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night as we were seeing a show in Glasgow. Location is excellent and parking in the nearby NCP very easy. We were able to check in slightly earlier which was great and staff at reception very helpful and friendly, in fact all the staff, from cleaners to bar star are very pleasant and always greet you and make you feel welcome. The inside of the hotel is lovely, you feel like you are stepping back into a glamorous era, but with nice up to date touches. The room was a good size and as you would expect for a 4 star hotel. We didn't eat at the hotel but wished we had and will do so next time we stay. We were on the fourth floor, facing the street and there was some traffic noise. My husband slept through it, I am a light sleeper so the Monday morning buses did wake me - but then it is a city centre.
The only criticism we had was when we walked into our room it instantly smelt like a smoking room - which of course they no longer allow. Plainly the last guests had completely ignored the no smoking signs and I should think had chain smoked through there stay. If I had been a housekeeper I would have closed down the room until the smoke smell had been removed from the soft furnishings so we did let the front desk know and hopefully they will do that before they let it again. If we had more time on check in I would have asked for another room but we checked in then had to rush out for our matinée so we didn't bother. It wouldn't stop me going back to the hotel however as it is a great hotel, fantastic location and lovely staff.

Room Tip: I would guess that the higher up your room is the less street noise, although it was not a big issue...
1  Thank Dream_Spain
Reviewed January 20, 2013

very nice renovation albeit a little unimaginative in terms of 'modern decor'. standard twin rooms were very large and spacious. bar area was comfortable and relaxing but difficult to get a seat due to lots of non-residents using the bar area for evening drinks. service was very good throughout. brilliant location, city centre on your doorstep.

Room Tip: Twin rooms on the 3rd floor seemed bigger than double rooms. Room 321 was huge and great views of th...
1  Thank grahamhunter1978
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for sharing your visit to The Grand Central with the world.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!