“The not so Grande Dame”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This was our 2nd stay in as many years, and how we noticed the difference! Service remains excellent and helpful, as does the fab champagne bar, however maintaining this building must be like the "Forth Road Bridge" with a never ending maintenance plan, which I'm sure exists, however is not self evident.

The public areas are already looking tired, despite the excellent army of cleaners, and our room 409 (Executive) had a stained ceiling from a water leak. A massive bathroom with only a bath (shower in the bath), toilet and single basin, was disappointing and seemed as if the designers had used as little thought as possible, as cheaply as possible. Housekeeping was sporadic during our 2 night stay, with toiletries not replenished, half hearted turn-down: rubbish left in room instead of being taken away.

A very strange WiFi system that allows you free access for 1/2 an hour then you have to log in again.....and again......and again!

Whilst this may sound a little nit picky, I don't mean it to be, it just highlights that it feels as if its lost its way a bit. It is a great building, incredibly convenient, coming straight off the London train and great character. it would be such a shame if they didn't stay on top of it, and whilst sympathetic to the current financial place we are in, to keep the beds filled, while offering good value, if the standard slip, there are always other hotels nearby.

We would stay again, and recommend you try it, but be aware that you might just be a little disappointed, rather than pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fairreviews
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review and for your valuable feedback.

I am glad that you still found that our service was excellent and helpful although it is very disappointing the housekeeping and maintenance issues you experienced in your allocated room. Please be assured that your comments have been raised with the appropriate managers to investigate further, thank you for bringing these to our attention.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon to see the hotel at its very best once again.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

A good, well-staffed central Glasgow hotel, if a little dark and sombre on the interior decoration. The room on the 4th floor was spacious and clean with a good sized bathroom. The major drawback is the noise. Having stayed in the city on an uncharacteristically very hot May weekend, it was necessary to open windows (only a 2 inch allowance) There is no air-conditioning or even a fan. The noise from the street was terrible, with a base thudding from a local music venue till after 3pm on the Sunday morning. Great for Glasgow night-life but give it a miss if you desire a rest from the rigours of city life.

Room Tip: Ask for a known quiet room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to review.

I am glad you found the Grand Central to be central, well staffed with spacious rooms although due to our prime location external noise levels can be expected especially at weekends. During May we did experience very hot weather temperatures whilst beautiful, this did make it very clammy and uncomfortable at times for us all, although we do have portable fans as well as heaters available on request via reception.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Lovely hotel and very reasonably priced for the centre of Glasgow. We spent one nights stay in the hotel for a concert in March 2012. We were greeted very warmly on arrival and the staff at reception were very helpful. We spent most of the day in the Champagne Bar which was lovely, and once again the staff couldn't do enough to make you happy. I have a wheat allergy and they even made me up a sandwhich after their lunch menu was no longer in service as I couldn't eat any of the food on the night time menu. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and they had a lovely breakfast spread with various different things to choose from. Over all a lovely stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review and for choosing to stay with us during your trip to the City Centre for a concert!

It is pleasing to read that you experienced the Grand Central at its very best, our Champagne Bar Manager and our team will be very encouraged by your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

We spent two+one nights in twin rooms in this old Central Station hotel; two nights above the platform roof and one week later looking right to the platform area. Miraculously, the platform noise did not disturb the sleep at night though in the daytime you can easily hear the annoucements.
The rooms are spacy, and the bathrooms recently modernized. It was easy to separate the beds (it was not done for us in advance). The art nouveau style breakfast room serves as the main restaurant in the evening, and the Champagne Bar at E-level is well worth visiting before the dinner or anytime. The scottish buffet-breakfast was great with porridge & haggis.

Room Tip: If you are not interested of the platform life, inform it while making reservation.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Many thanks for your review.

I appreciate your feedback and it's pleasing to read that you were left with such a good impression of Champagne Central and Tempus.

A warm welcome await you, should be have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Grand old railroad station hotel with lobby entrance directly from the railroad station platform, recently nicely remodeled. Same wide hallways, and large rooms updated and very comfortable. Friendly concierge staff very helpful with luggage storage, directions to Riverside Museum, restaurant suggestions, and taxi to airport.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review the Grand Central Hotel and I am pleased to read that you were impressed with your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in mid March and from the onset there were problems...which were not dealt with either professionally or otherwise!

To add even more insult to injury when I was checking out I related the numerous problems and the lady at Reception was sympathetic, appeasing and helpful. She told me to email the hotel as they would be keen to know and would ensure somebody contacted me.

....Well guess what...nobody did...despite my sending 3 emails over a period of 3 weeks!!!!!!

It's name belies 'Grand' of a different scale....'Grand Mess'.

Avoid staying here. The Hilton is excellent as is the Marriott.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SligogirlLondon

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to read that you had issues during your stay with us in March. I have not received any emails that are currently outstanding and therefore if you would like to discuss your feedback I would be happy to do so, please just contact me directly at the hotel on 0141 240 3700.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Just above Glasgow Central station but didn't hear
any noise which could have disturbed my sleep.
Beautifully decorated room with modern stylish bathroom.
I could walk to many must see places in Glasgow city centre
from the hotel and the bus stops to cathedral and airport were
very close from the hotel. I paid maybe the half of the rate I
paid to George/Edinburgh but their quality was as good as or even better.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review and for your top rating of 5.

I am glad you got to explore Glasgow's main attractions during your stay with us, we are perfectly situated in the heart of the City Centre with so much to do on our doorstep and not to forget the convenient transport links nearby.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.