“Honeymoon”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and i have just returned from a couple of days at the Grand Central. It is an amazing hotel, the corridors and decor are fabulous and the chandalier makes the staircase.
We ate in the Tempus restaurant on our first night and the food was excellent. The champagne bar is wecoming and has a wide choice of champagne and cocktails.
The entry to the hotel from the station coud not be easier and AJ was a great help, his knowledge of the hotel was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for him. The service from the staff was faultless.
We chose this hotel for our honeymoon and we will be coming back next year,hoping to stay in the same room if we can.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grand Central Hotel

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Had a two day business trip and stayed at the Grand Central Hotel overnight. I went with a colleague and was initially a bit jealous as she had been allocated a double and I had been given a twin. Well, it turned out that my room was twice the size of hers and was much more pleasant. The beds were pushed together and it was massive and very comfortable. My friend's room looked directly over the station concourse and she could hear all of the train announcements whereas all I heard was drunken shouting in the early hours in the street outside mine :-)
The breakfast was very nice and could not be faulted. The staff were all very pleasant and friendly. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I’d heard good things about this hotel from a couple people and seems to get rave reviews here so I thought I’d take a look.

First impression is the reception is a bit grim. You’re not exactly ‘wowed’ as soon as you step through the door, and that kinda sets the tone for the whole of your stay.

Got a room for £91 off hotelclub and booked at 10pm on the Fri night. Turned up at around 4pm on the Saturday and they’d no record of my reservation? Got told it hadn’t went through their system yet and had to use the concierge’s PC to print off my reservation. All very helpful…but my reservation hadn’t been processed in 16hrs? First experience of that. Stayed at Radisson last month, used latebooking site at midday and turned up at 5pm and they had my reservation so don’t know how Grand Central can’t manage their reservations?

Anyway, after all that I got my room on the 3rd floor…right at the end of a long, long corridor! Kinda smiled on my hike to it, okay I booked a standard, and at a deal price, and someone’s gotta get that room, but felt like I was getting put in last place for sure! And right beside a lovely looking fire escape and ramp. Got to say the walk there was unimpressive too. The décor was very bland and the firedoors, staff cubby holes etc all looked in need of some TLC. Not exactly 4 star.

Room followed on from that. Was a decent size but nothing special. Bed looked thrown together and had to have another smile at the house keeping card gracing it about it being their pleasure to make the room up or something?! Carpet already looked worn in places and curtains that don’t shut? Just decoration. But you know I can’t complain because the room looks pretty much as you see in travellers photos and I wasn’t impressed then, and didn’t get what everyone was raving about? Bathroom’s not great either. Small, the hand towels were frayed and worn, no shelf in the shower to place soap etc and no wash cloths provided. The shelf on the window also seemed to have had something scrapped right along it? The room service menu was under the glass top on the table beside the bed - not sure if it was meant to be or someone had shoved it under there and house keeping just never removed it?

Anyway, was meeting a friend for a drink in Champagne Bar and thought things might improve there? When I left my room now there was a work man’s ladder pitched against the side of the wall…lovely! So took long walk to Champagne Bar…

Walked down central staircase, and again, I don’t see the wow factor? It’s very plain and the central chandelier plastic and tacky looking? Noticed brown markings to side of stairs that presumably were the marks of the old fittings of the former (larger width) carpet. Again, disappointing.

Champagne bar is ok, it’s nice enough, but there’s way better ones in Glasgow. Just a regular bar and the lounge area is uninspiring too. To be honest if I hadn’t seen the plaque in reception proclaiming the place had opened in Jan 2011 then I’d be saying the whole hotel was in need of a refurbishment. Ordered a couple bottles of wine, second arrived without the offer of fresh glasses. Had a margarita too and again, I’ve had way better. Salt round glass rim was really badly done.

Went back to room at 1am. No problem with noise outside window etc but was windy night…and that fire escape door right outside mine banged and rattled all night, adding to my ‘bargin bin’ placement feeling!

Check out was painless enough, didn’t try breakfast.

Grand Central is well placed, it’s not a shambles or a bad hotel by any stretch, but it’s not the ‘OMG Amazing!’ experience I’ve read in some reviews in my opinion. It’s a very average hotel and a below average 4 star. If you get a good deal then give it a try and take your chances. I’m not saying I wouldn’t return, but only for the right price in line with my expectations of the place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank T_ManAberdeen
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Have just returned from a stay at The Grand Central Hotel in Glasgow.
We were on a hen weekend for my sister, a small group of four 'mature' ladies!
I found the rooms to be beautiful, very comfortable beds and lovely clean well furnished rooms generally.
There was a 'domestic' argument amongst a young couple in the next room, which woke us at 5am, the security staff swiftly delt with this, and peace returned once more.
There was a lot of street noise at all times, but absolutely what I would expect from a city centre hotel, it's not in the countryside after all! Certainly didn't bother me at all.
The bar staff in the champagne bar were attentive and professional, perfect place to start the evening. Very pleasing on the eye, and with a nice general ambience and 'buzz'.
I would be definately very keen to return here, and in fact, we are planning a 'hen' reunion for next year.
Thanks for an excellent stay!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for your great review, positive comments and top rating of 5.

We are pleased to read that you are already planning a reunion trip again for next year; a very warm welcome awaits you all upon your return.

Please pass on our best wishes to your sister for her special day!

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Decent bargain on Expedia.
Big complaint would be the goth teenagers that mull around the train station and smoke and spit.

The champagne room's nice and swank but a little over=priced.
They could bring that down a notch and not miss a beat.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your valuable feedback and top rating of 5!

I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stayed here for one night with friends on a Saturday and our overall impression was of a poor quality hotel with terrible service across the board. Our stay got off to a disappointing start at check in when the receptionist briskly handed us our keys without telling us which room we were in or how to get there. No offer of help with luggage and no indication of even where the lifts were. Not a good start.

Our room was fine, nicely furnished and large but once we’d settled in it was obvious that while the hotel looks good on the surface, there are a number of things that could be improved. The walls in both the bedroom and bathroom had dirty marks all over them, the toilet roll holder was surrounded by crumbling plaster, 1 of the lights didn’t work in the bedroom, nor did the bathroom fan. The room was overheated with only one window that opened very slightly (once you could get the dirty blinds to work)

None of these are major things, but they give the overall impression that the hotel isn’t of the standard it claims to be.

We had brought champagne with us and when I called to ask for an ice bucket and champagne glasses I was told by a very flustered and apologetic foreign speaking member of staff that there would be a £5 charge for this. Without waiting for my reaction to this she went on to tell me that many guests complained about this but she was “just doing what she was told” She advised us to go to the bar and ask for an ice bucket instead, which my friends did, only to be challenged on whether they were guests in the hotel and reluctantly given a handful of ice in the bottom of an ice bucket. I’ve stayed in lots of hotels and have never been charged for an ice bucket. And I’ve certainly never had a staff member tell me they knew something was bad service but were doing what they were told.

We also had champagne afternoon tea in the bar and in keeping with the rest of our stay this was a let down with incredibly poor service. I’ve written a separate review on this but basically we had sandwiches with the bread starting to turn hard, a fairly bland selection of cakes and NO TEA until we’d asked 2 members of staff for this and eaten most of the sandwiches. After asking for our tea, we were given a cup of builder’s tea each. No smile or apology from any of the staff and certainly no offer of anything other than a cup of Tetleys. We then had a 20 minute wait for the bill, during which time the member of staff we had asked for this – she appeared to be some kind of manager – ignored us completely. Shockingly bad service. We eventually managed to get the bill after leaving our seats and asking a second member of staff.

There were a lot of negatives for what could be a fabulous hotel but the main issue for us was the staff. We found them unhelpful and disinterested on every occasion. In fact, I can’t think of a member of staff who even smiled at us. I wouldn’t stay here again, and if you’re staying in Glasgow I’d think twice about booking this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pickynic

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to feedback and speak with me directly at the hotel. I appreciate your comments and please be assured that the issues raised will be taken on board.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

The hotel is centrally located and was recently renovated. We received a very large room, the ceilings were very high, the bathroom was new. The only downside was that the room was facing Hope Street, which is a major Glasgow road, so it was a bit noisy. Other than that it was great, certainly an excellent value for money deal. We will come again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2012

I am delighted that we will be able to welcome you back in the future and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

A warm welcome awaits you upon your return.

Kind regards