“Several stays...depends on the room you get”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed March 12, 2012

In the passed year I have stayed over in the hotel around 5 times. I have had stays that have been outstanding, stays that have been ok and one stay which well below expectations. This is mainly dependant on the room that you get.

In general the room furnishings are similar however the size of the room changes dramatically depending on the standard of room booked. That said I have seen 2-3 'standard' rooms, one of which was very very small. The 'executive' rooms are more spacious and are worth booking.

The service is always excellent and the rooms are always spotless, the main issue is location of the room and the associated noise. The room which was below expectation was on the first floor within the train station and the station announcements were at an unacceptable level.

By contrast rooms on the 3rd or 4th floor on the Hope Street side of the building are much quieter and much better.

Overall, it hasn't stopped me returning to the hotel and I have no doubt that I will again however I always ensure I request a room on a high floor on the Hope Street side of the building.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank suz31
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

I am delighted that we have been able to welcome you back to the hotel several times and that each time you visit you receive excellent service and the rooms spotless!

Thank you for your taking the time to feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Grand Central Hotel

Reviewed March 10, 2012

The rooms are very large, with high ceilings and big windows. Although the furnishings seemed new, their traditional essence worked perfectly with the historical building. The staff were very friendly and even allowed us to check out an hour later. In terms of location, it really doesn't get much better. I would definitely recommend the Grand Central hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Many thanks for your top score and for taking the time to review.

It's great to read that you have experienced the hotel at it’s best and that you will recommend the Grand Central Hotel to others; word of mouth is very important!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

A few years ago I submitted reviews of hotels that I had visited during my honeymoon. Despite having to work away regularly in my current role; i haven't left a review for some time. This is mostly because of the vanilla hotel offerings in the UK for 100-150 a night. This hotel for me has stood out from a bland crowd. The styling of the hotel is fantastic but not to the detriment of the guest. Its smart, stylish and welcoming. the service was some of the best I have had in the UK over the last 4 years. The staff were engaging but not overly. The breakfast was nothing amazing but well executed and the food in the restaurant again was not Michelin start but not priced at that, well presented, flavorsome. Very well located for train and car park.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ginnerfreak

It is very encouraging that for you, the Grand Central stands out of the crowd and you found the hotel smart, stylish and welcoming; thank you for choosing to write a review and of course for your top rating of 5.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Smart, stylish and comfortable with very good service and an excellent breakfast. The location is perfect for exploring Glasgow. I would definitely like to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Thank you for your review and of course a fabulous top rating of 5!

We are delighted that you would definitely like to stay at the Grand Central again and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon, a warm welcome awaits you.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Central Hotel in August of 2011. It is located right next to the station but is easily reached by car. We parked for a reasonable price just a block away. When entering the hotel, you get an "old Hollywood" feeling. The hallways are wide, the ceilings high, and the staircases are grand. The rooms are equally spacious (especially for the UK) and very modern. I could have had a party in my bathroom. The location is also very central and most areas of interest are within walking distance. The customer service is also excellent. We had ordered a coat in Edinburgh which was not ready in time and they agreed to ship it to the Grand Central so that we could collect it at the end of our trip. We were a bit worried that it would get lost in the shuffle but the moment we arrived and gave the concierge our name, they informed us that a package was waiting for us in a secure room and sent someone to retrieve it. The price also can't be beat, I was able to get a room with a King bed for $100/night through an online special.Overall, this was a great hotel experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

Many thanks for your review and top rating of 5!

I am delighted that had a 'great hotel experience' with us here at the Grand Central, and I appreciate your feedback on the high standard of service and comfort offered through out the hotel; your comments are very encouraging to all of the team, thank you!

I do hope that we can welcome you back to Glasgow and indeed our hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a one night stay at the Grand Central Hotel in Glasgow and have almost nothing but good reports.

Our room (425) was unfortunately situated just outside the lifts and stairwell, this meant we were disturbed more than once during the night with loud guests coming out the lift.

The room itself was spotless, very comfortable with bath robes and slippers. The bathroom was massive for a standard room and very fresh, clean and well-stocked.

The room had a LCD TV with freeview.

The staff in the restraunt were excellent, both the manager and chef were friendly. The reception staff weren't quite as friendly.

The breakfast offering was vast with plenty to choose from.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank crmpicco

I am glad that overall you have good reports further to your recent stay and thank you for taking the time to review the Grand Central Hotel.

It is great to read that you were very impressed with your room, we feel our bedrooms and en suites have great character as they do vary in shape and size, this is due to the nature of this grand listed building.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

My wife booked this hotel as her best friend was staying in Glasgow for her 40th. Hotel itself was absolutely gorgeous & I have no complaints about anythingwithin the hotel. We booked one of the suites overlooking the entrance to the station - big mistake! The noise was unbelievable, taxis, shouting public, fights, police cars - everything you would not expect for such a top notch hotel. I understand that due to the age of the hotel there will be building restrictions such as no double glazing etc but the noise was horrendous. Those who face the inner rooms did not suffer - we definitely did. Lesson learned is make sure your room does not face out on to the main roads!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing away from the road or you will not sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul H
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review.

I am disappointed that you experienced high noise levels from your allocated room, due to our central location external noise levels, usually at weekends, can be expected however we do have many rooms that do not overlook the bustling City Centre streets and our reservations team are always willing to assist with any special requests where possible.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Central in the future.