“As good as last time & still some room for improvement” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Central Hotel

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #41 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Tavistock, United Kingdom
“As good as last time & still some room for improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Last time I stayed at the Grand Central, I found myself not wanting to leave on my last morning and hoping that business would bring me back again soon. It did - this time for three nights.

On my last visit, I had a station facing room on the 4th floor from where the constant station announcements were a kind of distant, faintly romantic background sound. This time, on the first floor, the announcements were considerably louder. Personally, I didn't mind it - but my colleague did, and asked to move rooms immediately.

Most of the rooms on the 1st floor seem to be conference rooms for corporate events with only a few bedrooms. In the three days I was there, I didn't see another guest on that floor - leaving me with an odd sense of being alone in the hotel. The room was as large and comfortable as last time with a couple of minor differences. First of all, no fluffy dressing gowns. Waaaah. Shame. Secondly, judging by the boxy sound quality, the TV must have been of the cheapest kind. It's a pity because the TV tends to be a focal point in a hotel room and gives a strong first impression. Cheap, boxy sound, no possibility of turning the screen? Hmm.

The bed was a large two-section affair (two singles locked together flawlessly) with crisp linen and very comfortable. The rest of the room is very nice, with good furniture, lost of floor space and very high ceilings.

But yet again, I noticed some niggles that really spoil what could otherwise feel like a luxury experience.

These included:

• Nasty Nescafe: Why not replace this with a couple of nice filter packs and enough milk, sugar, teas and biscuits to make it a luxury, rather than a cheap guest-house, experience?

• Room temperature: it was a bit cold until I fiddled with the (instruction-less) old-school radiator. Some instruction on the knobs would help.

• Replace the ineffective iron with a decent steam iron ... please...

The service in the Tempus restaurant was as good as the food - which, even on the 'dinner and room' package, was exceptional. It was so good that I had the same choice two nights running. The people in the restaurant were genuinely friendly and helpful and helped to make an atmosphere that I was happy to be in reading and eating for a good hour and a half.

To summarise, I'm still likely to return to the Grand Central Hotel next time I'm in Glasgow for business because I like the feel of it and it is pretty good value. It is let down, in my opinion, however, by a lack of 'warmth' and the absence of quality and luxury touches in areas I think could be easily fixed (with a little money and some imagination) and which, if attended to, would really make the place grand.

Room Tip: Avoid station-facing rooms on 1st / 2nd floor if you think the incessant muffled station announcemen...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
I am glad that we were able to welcome you back to the Grand Central Hotel for a second time, customer feedback is so important to us and I thank you for taking the time to share your views.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon and please don't hesitate to contact our reservations team with any special room preferences or requests and we will of course honour these whenever possible.

Laurie Nicol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Occasion; tourism, couple going to Edinburgh and Glasgow (one night).
Check-in; somewhat unfriendly receptionist but smooth check-in.
Room; we (couple) got a room with a window towards the exit of the central railway station, although a lot of sounds the sound isolation works good. However, not such a great view as the window is very high up and makes it hard to look down to the street. Otherwise modern, nice room with a nice bathroom. Some marks on the walls that doesn't look too nice, but nothing that comromises the total feel of the room. The internet connection (wifi) is free for 30 minutes at a time, making it a bit annoying to log in (including to re-register) every time you use it. Silent hotel (didn't seem as there were too many guests the night we stayed).
Breakfast; very nice breakfast (was £10 GBP per person for us, well worth it) with a lot of different choices and well-cooked. Almost too many pastries.
Check-out; No problems, very nice receptionist at the check-out.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Grand Central Hotel during your trip and for taking the time to review.

I am pleased that overall you had a nice stay with us and that you found our breakfast to have a lot of choice and well cooked. Our Quality Wins team meet monthly to discuss feedback, to make sure that all comments and suggestions are taken on board, so we can improve the service we offer to our guests.

I do hope we can welcome you back to Glasgow and the Grand Central Hotel in the future.

Kind regards
Isle OfMan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

First time that I have stayed here since it has been invested in. Had problems in its previous incarnation as a Quality Hotel, but these have been ironed out. This is a traditional railway hotel. Something of a labyrinth -you are likely to have something of a hike to your room and possibly also to breakfast but rooms are a decent size. There is an entrance from Glasgow Central which can be very useful in bad weather

Reception staff were pleasant and efficient and concierge kindly let me borrow his computer for a quick check of e-mails.

I had an internal room -the decor was modern and the bed fairly soft but comfortable. TV was flat screen but quite an involved system for changing channels -freeview but no satellite. Bathroom was good and the plumbing much better than when it was under its previous owners. Room was also a comfortable temperature -the old radiators seem to be working well.Bath and shower available which is good.

Didn't experience problems with noise from the station on the second floor.and got a good sleep. Don't think there is much in the way of leisure facilities and could not find any sort of guide to facilities either in the room or on the TV . Good selection of places to eat and drink -the Champagne bar was popular on a Friday night and must be a good earner!

Breakfast was decent. A good selection from a regularly re-stocked buffet. Some of the items (sausage/orange juice) could have been of better quality.but once again couldn't complain for the rate.

Managed to resist the offer of a late check out for an additional; £30 for 3 hours- a bit steep if you're on a leisure stay at the weekend -I bet they don't get many takers.

Overall would stay here again I am curious as to how much better the superior rooms are.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank zepheshow
I do hope that you will be visiting Glasgow again and that you will choose to stay at the Grand Central Hotel. Your review covers many aspects of the hotel and I am so pleased to read your positive and constructive comments.

Thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

I booked a "Treat you Partner" package for my partner and I over two months before our visit, however nothing had been organised upon our arrival. The package is supposed to include a room upgrade, however we were given a small double room, not an executive room as promised. Wine and strawberries that were supposed to be awaiting us on arrival had to be requested twice.
We were given a room that looks out onto the roof of the train station (room 260), which was extremely noisy and woke us up several times in the early hours of the morning. I phoned the reception to ask if we could switch rooms, as we should have received an upgrade anyway. The receptionist asked if he could call me back and let me know, however he never did.
We were not included on the list for breakfast (again included in the package), which resulted in more debates with the hotel staff on both mornings of our stay.
The final straw came when we were checking out and the receptionist tried to charge us for another night and two breakfasts, despite having paid for our full stay in advance. It took almost half an hour - and a discussion with a supervisor - to finally get a sheepish apology for an error on their part.
On a positive note, the staff that work in the restaurant/champagne lounge and clean the rooms are lovely (and very polite) and the hotel itself is very pretty.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Samantha K
Thank you for taking the time to review further to your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you did not receive the service during your stay that you would expect from a Principal Hayley Hotel. Our aim is to offer an outstanding service, however on this occasion we seem to have fallen short. The issues you have raised will be discussed with the appropriate Departmental Managers to ensure the highest of standards are maintained at all times.

I do hope we can have the opportunity to welcome you both back to the Grand Central and should you wish to discuss your feedback further please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Warwickshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed here when our friends got married. Booking was easy and we managed to get a great bargain online. The reception check in was simple and quick. Parking is easy to find (NCP at the train station) and you walk straight through the station itself to access the hotel which is nice.

Only issue we had was that we asked for a travel cot to be set up in the room for our baby girl. This was not done so I wasn't best pleased when arriving at the hotel in the early hours of the morning (after the wedding reception) only to find that we had to wait for someone to fetch one which took 15 mins!

The rooms are nice, although a little on the small side, are nicely refurbished. The reception area and breakfast rooms are very nicely done. The breakfast itself was lovely too, great choice and serving staff very friendly.

Overall I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am glad that overall you were impressed with the hotel and I appreciate your comment regarding the travel cot not being set up in your room for your arrival and will take this up with our Operations Team.

I am pleased though that you would return to the hotel and a very warm welcome awaits your family.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

Yet another lovely stay at the grand central. We cannot fault this hotel in the slightest.The attention to detail in the rooms only helps to enhance the overall stay.A very special thank you to the concierge Gordon who kindly showed us around the hotels suites and fabulous grand ball room and gave us a brief history of the hotel.The grand central we can now say is our favourite hotel and look forward to spending many more nights there in the very near future.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the Grand Central Hotel; your comments are very much appreciated and I am delighted that you had a another pleasant stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Falkirk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

This hotel has got to be one of the best I have stayed at in Glasgow. The hotel both outside and inside looks amazing after the refurb. We stayed for two nights and our room was perfect. We stayed in a standard room which was perfect. The rooms are a good big size with a large wardrobe for all your things. The decor of the rooms is lovely, with old pictures of railway scenes above the beds. The beds are very comfy but it can get quite warm.

The bathroom was also a good size was a brilliant shower and bath. For the girls... there are also plenty of large mirrors for getting ready to go out on the town and a good hairdryer... not one that would take two days to dry your hair normally like in some other hotels I have been to.

The location is perfect being joined on to Central Train Station and Queen Street Station is only a 15 min walk away. It's next to lots of restaurants, bars and clubs. You are also just a 10 min walk away from all the shops.

We didn't have dinner at the hotel... but the menu looked delicious. So did the room service menu, however be wary as they do add on a service charges for room service which seem a bit steep as some hotels don't even charge for room service! We did have breakfast at the hotel in their Tempus Restaurant which was brilliant! It's a self service buffet breakfast with everything from cereal to a good fry up.... tea and coffee are served to you, however you can also help yourself to different fruit juices.

I can't wait to go back!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Your rating of 5 is fantastic and may I take this opportunity to thank you for your excellent review.

It is so pleasing to receive comments and reviews from guests that have stayed with us and experienced the hotel at its very best and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.