“Absolutely fantastic ”

Hampden Park Stadium and Museum Tour
Ranked #61 of 274 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: See more than 2500 exhibits in 14 galleries, walk amongst Scotland’s footballing legends in the Hall Of Fame and take the Stadium tour…. It’s who we are. The Hampden Experience will reveal the sights, sounds, and stories of the world's favourite game, in the country that took football to the world. Spend a day enjoying Scotland's football heritage, remembering the legends that inspire the champions of today. On the Stadium Tour you will see the Stadium as the players do on Matchday - visit the underground roadway, team changing rooms and have the speed of your shot electronically measured in the players warm up area. Walk down the tunnel, hear the famous Hampden Roar and then follow the footsteps of legends by climbing the stairs to the Cup Presentation Area. You can also relax in the Museum cafe and purchase gifts and souvenirs from the Hampden shop.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Absolutely fantastic ”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I did the tour and museum together, and thoroughly enjoyed them both. Stuart was working on reception and was very welcoming and helpful, had a nice chat about football before making my way to the museum. After a few minutes a man came up to me and asked if I was the guy who had just come in 10 minutes ago, and i started panicking wondering if I'd done something, but he said that he just wanted to say hi and welcome me to the museum and wished me a happy visit, which was very nice. Unfortunately I didn't catch his name. After wandering the museum for about 40-45 minutes,and only taking in half of it, i headed to the cafe to meet David who would be my tour guide. It turned out I was the only one on the tour so I got my own personal tour. He was very friendly and informative. I had a great time in the warm up area shooting at the goal to measure my speed, as I was the only one on the tour, i got to take a few shots, and just missed out on the top 100 leader board by 1 mph. After the tour, i finished looking round the museum, which has a lot of interesting articles and memorabilia. I would fully recommend the Hampden experience to anyone, I think even non football fans would find it interesting.

3 Thank Mitch A
Gemma M, Marketing & Social Media at Scottish Football Museum, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

We are delighted you enjoyed your visit with us and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Stuart, David and the other members of Staff. You were especially lucky to get a personal tour and maybe next time you will make the top 100 leader board ;-)

We hope to welcome you back again some day soon.

Many thanks
The Scottish Football Museum.

Bathgate, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“No bad”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

It starts well. A genuine history of Scottish football. It quickly disintegrates into an Old Firm love in.

I'll take a step back and mention the customer service which is outstanding. Better than almost any tourist trap I've experienced before.

The first few exhibits are excellent and if you take the time to listen to the audio guide you'll be rewarded with some decent history. Unfortunately, the whole exhibit seems to be more of a history of Glasgow football as opposed to Scottish football.

There's lots of stuff to read and learn, although many of the exhibits don't have any information. I read a letter repealing a suspension, and a further letter congratulating whoever it was for not being suspended, but I don't know why or how he got suspended in the first place.

Good nostalgia value.....not much historical value.

I'll review the stadium tour here too since it doesn't seem to have a separate entry. Hmmmm. I looked forward to it as tripadvisor suggested it was the high point. It was boring. A lecture in a corridor, followed by a lecture in a tunnel followed by a lecture in the referees room. It was mildly intriguing to see these rooms but the length of time spent in these bog standard rooms was not justified. The tour guide went to great lengths to point out that both changing rooms are identical. We still had to visit both of them. The tour could be a quick 20 mins for all the content it has, it mostly consists of the old boy (nice as he is) spraffing a lot of rubbish. Queens Park....blah..blah..Rangers blah blah, Celtic...blah blah. I'd have rather been shown around instead of being parked in cold corridors or underground roadways.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank K R
Gemma M, Marketing & PR at Scottish Football Museum, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for the feedback in relation to your visit to the Scottish Football Museum and Hampden Park stadium. We are pleased to hear that you thought the customer service was excellent and are grateful for your views in relation to issues over interpretation which we will certainly look at to see where displays can improved upon.

The Scottish Football Museum is formally accredited as a national museum and we therefore have to follow guidelines, including a formal display policy, which ensures that as wide a coverage as possible is given to the national game. We therefore include recreational football as well as the professional game and cover as wide a geographical coverage of Scotland as possible, as well as examining Scotland’s links to football in other countries.

The general history galleries which run from 1867 to the present day reflect important events within the Scottish game. The prominence of Celtic FC and Rangers FC within Scottish football since the late nineteenth century means that they are appropriately represented. However, of the 76 display cases within the museum there are actually only four cases solely dedicated to one of these clubs or jointly to both. Rangers and Celtic related artefacts can be found in other themed displays but appear beside artefacts from other clubs, for example in our 1960s displays on club success in Europe there are objects relating to Celtic and Rangers but there are also objects for Dunfermline Athletic, Dundee, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock etc who all experienced strong European runs. There are displays solely devoted to women’s football, junior football, to the ‘New Firm’ of Aberdeen and Dundee United and a number of displays which cover the Scotland men’s national team. Other displays revolve around economic, social and political events, such as the outbreak of the two world wars, the great depression of the 1930s, the impact of radio, television and commercialism on the game etc.

There are some additional display boards within the history galleries covering Celtic or Rangers related subjects such as the Ibrox disaster of 1971, the Hampden riots of 1909 and 1980 and the tragic death of Celtic goalkeeper John Thomson in 1931 but we feel that as these were considered to be significant national events within their respective eras they merit inclusion. We have also created a clubs gallery for all 42 senior clubs to ensure that some of the smaller clubs who might not have as great a footprint within the general history galleries have a dedicated place within the museum to tell their own story to our visitors.

The stadium tour which operates at Hampden Park normally takes around 45 minutes. As with most stadium tours we visit both dressing rooms (when they are available) as part of the tour. This provides an opportunity for Scotland fans to visit the Scotland home dressing room and for overseas visitors whose national team has played at Hampden to visit the away dressing room. Supporters of clubs that have reached major cup finals at Hampden or have played against Queen’s Park in league matches also have an opportunity to visit the dressing room of their team. There is also an opportunity to take part in the Hampden hotshots within the indoor warm up area which for larger groups can take up to 10 minutes. The amount of information that one visitor would expect to receive on a stadium tour understandably will differ from another but we feel that a quick look round would not provide value for most of our visitors.

Thank you again for visiting and for your feedback.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Tour & Museum Football Fest”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

If you like football then this is the place for you. Loads of interesting information and history on show. Playstations at the end to play FIFA on. The tour and museum should be taken together. Also close by Queens Park to explore and good bars and restaurants in Strathbungo and Shawlands.

3 Thank Al2878
Gemma M, Marketing & PR at Scottish Football Museum, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Hi
Thanks you for taking the time to leave us your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit with us and some good tips there of places to go around us :-) Hope to see you again soon.
Kindest regards
The Scottish Football Museum
Moray
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Grew up beside it years ago and only visiting it now.”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Was checking out venues for the Commonwealth Games next year and saw the tour of Hampden advertised (the venue for the closing ceremony). My elderly husband and I are are not one whit interested in football but I found the museum attractive and fascinating in spite of myself. The best bit was getting to see behind the scenes and our guide was excellent and entertaining. We saw the players' dressing rooms and got to shoot into goal in the "warm up" area with the speed/force of the shot being recorded on a digital display. Great photo opportunity! We exited on to the pitch to the sound of the Hampden roar and experienced what the players must feel as they come out through that door. The cafe afterwards was very plush with carpets and comfortable seating and we enjoyed delicious homemade soup and sandwiches at very reasonable prices. I would recommend this for anyone but for football fans and young boys it's a must.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank MorayTraveljunkie
Gemma M, Marketing & Social Media at Scottish Football Museum, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

We are delighted you enjoyed your visit with ourselves and despite not being interested in football we are pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We strive to make the Hampden Experience as interesting and Special as possible for all our visitors even for the ones who maybe don't like football as the Stadium hosts many major events other than football. I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the tour guides and cafe staff.

We hope to welcome you and your husband back at the Stadium some day soon.

Many thanks
the Scottish Football Museum. :-)
Inverkeithing, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Football Crazy Hampden Football Museum and Stadium Tour”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

If your a footie fan you will love this museum lots of memorabilia and football stuff and lots of interactive exhibits well worth the visit I loved he stadium tour and was really surprised as to how much is behind the scenes got to go up the tunnel and in the dressing rooms maybe would have been nice to see inside a hospitality suite or a commentary box.
Only one disappointment no gift shop as you get quite a few footie fans passing threw I was quite surprised I would have thought this would have been a captive audience for all things football wee café for a quick snack was nice also good toilet facilities
Audio commentary available in the museum

Visited October 2013
1 Thank debsraw
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

We are delighted you enjoyed your visit with us and I will be sure to pass on the suggestion for a visit to the hospitality suite/commentary Box. The shop unfortunately is not open at the moment and will be closed for the next few months. We are working to get the shop up and running again and I will pass your comments on to the cafe as well.

We hope to welcome you back to the Stadium some day soon.

Many thanks
The Scottish Football Museum :-)