“Appalling!”

Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Cowcaddens
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Oh how I wish we had researched this abomination of a so-called restraurant before making a reservation from Australia, but were totally misled by the association with Michael Caine (how in God's name he could allow his name to be used I will never know).

Unless you wish a serious case of food poisoning I seriosuly recommend that you look elsewhere - not too mention the bad cooking...that said we actually walked out before before eating anything.

Anyway here's what happended...

The decor is just so 70s...it was Hogmanay in Glasgow and we thought it would be buzzing,,,no and for good reason...they had a set menu on offer which the waitress was clearly trying to sell...it included a sirloin of beef but was offered medium well or well done only...on querying this I was told this was the way the chef preferred it...really...I suspect the real reaon is that it had been cooked much earlier in the day and left on the hot plate.

My brother and I both ordered potted shrimp for entree (the menu is extremely limited)..it arrived 'hot' in that there was at least 1cm of rancid butter floating on top and the dish it was served in was actually hot to the touch...on querying this we were advised it was supposed to be served this way and had been sitting next to the warm bain marie (for how long?) to warm it up...they were serious.

On complaining the manager came out and actually tried to justify this travesty of a meal while the 'head' chef actually stood in the background with his arms folded looking as if he was about commit a crime for complaining about the food...

We paid for the wine and left...I had no wish to spend long hours visiting my hotel bathroom...

Visit this place at your peril!

3  Thank ar_perth

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Avoid this place at all costs.. it's beyond terrible. Went there for a meal on New Years Eve. Firstly the decor is awful, like a bad 70's basement disco.. tables set up for breakfast on one side of a curtain and a grotty bar on another.
Were told there was a special Hogmany menu with roast sirloin... which could only be served well done!.. bad start.
Then our starters arrived. Potted shrimp which was warm with an inch of melted butter floating on top. Pointed out to manager that it was supposed to be served cold and were told that they leave it out of fridge next to hotplate to warm up!? Salmonella waiting to happen more like. At this point we left.
How on earth Michael Caines can put his name to this place is beyond me. It's easily the worst restaurant I've ever been in and from what I can see a health hazard to boot.
Don't eat here!!

3  Thank freodoc
Reviewed November 13, 2011

food was good but the place was like a canteen in a city centre bar really not what we expected

1  Thank catherine h
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I am sure Michael Caines would be mortified by the quality of food and attitude of staff. We went for an early supper, 6.00pm, and when I mentioned my starter was cold and soggy (a mozzarella and tomato tart) I was told the chef had served them all lunchtime and I was the only person to complain. It may have been fine at lunch but it certainly seemed as if it had hung about the kitchen for several hours!! My friend had chicken liver parfait, chilled within an inch of its life that quite frankly resembled something from a cheap supermarket. Mains , other than being bland and minuscule, were adequate.

2  Thank PuddingSwords
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Michael Caine obviously has no input in the food, the service and standard of this restaurant otherwise he would close it. I felt sick after the meal because all courses were drenched it butter so that's all you could taste. The service was terrible like it was an effort to talk to you, decor was tired, menus were tatty, worst meal and dinning experience I have had for a long time. The reason I chose this hotel was of my stay at the Abode in Canterbury Kent where the restaurant and hotel was First Class.

2  Thank Classiest