“excellent fantastic superb”

Ranked #1,667 of 2,450 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Indian Restaurant Fine DiningThe owner and head chef Shan, invites you to India 57 which intends to raise the bar for Indian restaurants in the city. Enjoy the a la carte menu or try a lunch menu 2 for £10.Newly refurbished Glasgow's premier Indian restaurant at the new location 57 Union st. Stunning surroundings, nice ambiance, friendly stuff. Looking forward to serving you.
glasgow
“excellent fantastic superb”
Reviewed July 6, 2010

we are curry lover and have eaten curries in almost every restaurant in glasgow over the past 23 years. this place is fab great food great atmosphere...simply mmmmmmm

Fleet, United Kingdom
“Completely shambolic and a rip off. I...”
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Completely shambolic and a rip off. I went in to find it empty (a bad sign) and when I ordered I was told that some of the (already vanishingly limited) menu was never available. The starter was ok, but the main course was greasy, salty, bland (even though I asked for a spicy dish) and unpleasant. They tried to avoid giving me the desert included in the set menu, and when they finally agreed, it turned out that all the deserts
were off except ice cream. Honestly, I could have done better myself. Avoid this bunch of idiots at all costs.

3 Thank Nicklunac
Greenock
“Gone downhill very rapidly...”
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I have been at Red Chillies maybe 3 or 4 times over the past year, but after the terrible last visit I will not be back.

I booked a table for 8 people 2 weeks in advance and asked at the time if it would be ok to bring our own alcohol and pay a corkage charge (which we have done in the past no problems) and was told that this would be fine.

When we arrived 2 of our party had arrived early and been sat at a table for 6, after a few minutes of 2 of our party standing around waiting on the staff sorting out the table, they decided to move a vacant table for 2 that was literally a foot away to our table, at this point the staff came running over to stop them moving the table, after a bit of confusion the staff eventually moved the table for us. No harm done.

We then had our drinks order taken (mixers for our alcohol such as Pepsi, diet Pepsi etc), when our drinks were delivered they were all on one big tray with the server having no idea of which was which, again no big deal these things happen.

After 20 minutes we asked for menus (would have thought they'd have handed them out as we were sat at our table but there you go) and were given 2 menus, which bearing in mind there were 8 of us isn't much use, so we asked for another 6 menus which meant we got another 2 menus, by this point the alarm bells were starting to go off as one of the staff (later to be revealed as the manager) was glaring rather intently at our table.

We ordered our starters and main courses with no problems and were given 4 plates of poppadoms and spiced onions which were nice. After 20 minutes all our starters arrived except for one which we had to remind them about, the food was ok, no where near as good as the last time we were in (I suspect the Chicken Pakora was a reheat), once we were done it took about 15 minutes to clear away half the plates and left the rest of the plates on the table I assume for us to clear up.

We then waited an HOUR AND A HALF for the main course to arrive, after we had asked about it at least 3 times. They finally started to bring the food out starting with the rice.

Between us we had ordered boiled white rice and pilau rice and they had brought out some sort of fried brown rice, when we told them it was wrong the manager started to become really patronising and telling us that all rice is boiled rice, despite the menu stating 6 different types.

Anyway they then started to bring out our main courses, the first 4 items they brought out no one had ordered, the manager asked myself and my wife what we had ordered, we replied that we had ordered four items off of the tapas menu to share, he then took the 4 wrong items already on the table back to the kitchen, done a 180 degree turn and dumped the SAME FOOD back down in front of us and told us its what we ordered.

When we told him we weren't daft and it was the same food that had somehow changed from a Jalfrezi to a South Indian Garlic Curry he turned really abusive and told us to [--] off and were were a bunch of [--] and to get the [--] out of his restaurant and never come back, he then decided to try and start a fight with one of my pals when we were leaving.

Really pathetic individual.

One of the serving staff who had been really nice all evening followed us out and apologised for the conduct of the manager, I believe if this gentleman was in charge the restaurant would still be a good as it once was.

I was wondering after all this if it had been something our party had done that had caused this to happen, but after reading the reviews below I feel vindicated and it was simply that the manager has a major attitude problem.

In the end if they had simply held their hands up and admitted they had lost our main course order we wouldn't have had a problem with that, but to try and fob us off with whatever leftovers they had in the kitchen is simply shocking.

I think it says a lot that on a Saturday night there were only 6 people other than our party in the restaurant during the entire time we were there.

We wont be back, which is a shame as until this unsavoury incident I would have gave this restaurant 5 stars.

3 Thank Hobbes79
Glasgow
“Crap - avoid!Avoid!Avoid!”
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Went in yesterday 06/02/10.
What a mistake.
We had the lunch, which fair enough you are expecting to be a little smaller but it was teeny!!!
The starters came out. I had Onion bhajis and my partner had veg pakora. Both were definite re-heats. Two bits of pakora weren't heated/cooked at all. It tasted like it had been cooked and then left for some time and then re-heated in a micro cos it wasn't greasy just really dried out.
Then the "main" course arrived. My partner ordered boild rice but got served fried rice. And they came in the size of as coffee cup bowl. It was taseless and lumpy. The curry came in small dish (and I mean small) and mine was a veggie curry which was half filled??? Surely veg are cheaper than chicken? Then it makes u wonder what quality of chicken they are using. It took forever to get the waiters attention. I thought the idea of a waiter was that they waited and not us? We never even bothered with the last course because the rest had been so poor.
Anyway we waited for ages to get the bill and eventually went and paid ourselves. Neither of us are complainers but this would be the first time in a very lng time (apart from once on holiday) that we both agreed we would not leave a tip.
Atmosphere was very poor. We were sheparded into a very lit, poorly decorated room onto a wobbly chair and table. The cd (greatest hits of 1985ish) they put in was jumping consistently and the waiter (there was only one on the tables) was totally oblivious to it, it seemed. Until someone managed to wake him and ask him to change it, then we got Frank Sinatra which was a lot better.
You might think after we paid that would be the end. No. My partber ahd mild food poisoning last night.
So to sum up, don;t bother going here. You definitely get (less than) what you pay for in here and even at £6 each it was a rip off and with food poisoning thrown in would def not go back.

3 Thank honest_geezer
glasgow
“Dont bother even going in the door”
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Where do I start? 26 of us had booked for my nieces 30th birthday. When we arrived there wasnt enough ice buckets or wine glasses out. We asked for more and are still waiting.One of the ice buckets was leaking and soaked a girls dress and they refused to change it. The Tapas menu is misleading.Its just curries but smaller portions. Rip Off. Then the 'fun' really began. We had arrived at 7 for 7.30. We finally received starters at about 8.30. Well some of us did, the service was atrocious. Some people got starters, some people didnt and I received a piece of chicken pakora in amongst my veg pakora, which i chewed before I realised. Being vegetarian this was an unpleasant experience. Main Course(1hr later!) was when it really descended into chaos. Some people got curries with no rice. Some people got rice with no curries. Some people got nothing at all. Some people got 1 small rice between two and so on and so on. By this time it was 10.45pm. Oh and the nan came when the food was finished!. By this time the waiter knew we were unhappy and thats when they turned nasty. He swore at people,he was extremely rude and offensive and they threatened us with the police if we didnt pay full price, they were trying to charge us corkage for 30 bottles of wine when there wasnt anything near that amount on the tables. It got very heated to say the least and completely and utterly ruined the night. Eventually we came to an arrangment and we paid a certain amount just so we could leave the place. We will NEVER set foot in it again and I would just like to warn anybody thinking of paying a visit DONT BOTHER! Im not usually a complaining type honestly but it was SO BAD I feel the need to warn people. Shocking disgrace to call itself a Tapas restaurant. Its a joke and a rip off. McD's version of indian food.

5 Thank diehard5158