This hotel has had some very good reviews but few have looked beyond the funky and unusual design of the place to comment on the practical limitations. First the good things. Very willing and helpful staff, with great local knowledge. Good location, near city centre and transport services, Complimentary newpapers in lobby, Hotel very clean throughout, breakfast a very good deal if traveling as a couple - in explanation the breakfast (self selection) consists of a continental breakfast plus traditional full cooked breakfast for £11. If one person eats continental and the other takes the full fry up then it is still only £11 even though there is tea and coffee for two. Wifi free throughout the hotel and a reasonable selection of free films on the room TV including some of an adult nature! The colourful shower lighting is fun but it is a gimmick.
Now the not quite so good. The rooms have the design of a small sailing boat, ie they are very small - only one chair and a stool provided. The hotel compensates for this lack of space by having two communal sitting areas near the lobby, both with TVs. Unfortunately the (terrible) piped music is inescapable and so the TVs cannot be heard. There is no quiet area. The beds are hard up against two walls and a window so there are major compromises when it comes to reading in bed as only one of a couple will have access to a bedside light and one of a couple has to climb over the other to get in and out of bed, either fun or annoying depending on the situation. There is very little storage space for clothes, the hanging rail is about 20cms long so not much can be hung up. There are two underbed drawers but the lager contains additional bedding which, if removed to put clothes in, could only be stored on the limited floor space (which will already be taken up with suitcases as there is nowhere to store them either). Rooms have no courtesy trays, (no space for them anyway) so no tea or coffee in the room.
What didn't work? The room was far too hot at 24 degrees and the air conditioning failed to get it below 23 degress at any time so it was uncomfortably hot and made sleep difficult. The heating engineer failed to fix this problem. Both the shower and the sink leaked water onto the floor so much that two towels became soaked each morning and night to stop the floor becoming flooded. Inexplicably the TV came on in the middle of the night (waking us both up with a start) and on another occasion the channels changed themselves?
Overall I'd say this hotel suits short stays of 1 or 2 nights only and is probably best suited to business people. Because the rooms are so small and the design so "different", they really only suit single occupancy unless a romantic night away is the aim. Don't pack a big suitcase! The major downsides for me were the overheated room and the lack of quiet areas to sit and relax. Some will love the place but we will not be going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in Glasgow's city centre and Theatre District, citizenM Glasgow offers affordable luxury in the form of 198 modern non-smoking rooms. Enjoy free Wi-Fi in the entire hotel, free movies, high pressure rain showers and luxurious linens on an XL king-size bed; contemporary Vitra lobbies for work and play with free iMac access, and a 24/7 on-site eatery and bar to quench every hunger and thirst. CitizenM Glasgow also boasts SocietyM, which provides one-of-a-kind creative meeting spaces for 2 to 18 people, a larger screening room, audiovisual equipment, and reliable Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your citizenM Glasgow reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Citizenm Glasgow Hotel Glasgow
- CitizenM Glasgow Scotland