“Will suit many but beware.”
Review of citizenM Glasgow

citizenM Glasgow
Ranked #12 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Will suit many but beware.”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel has had some very good reviews but few have looked beyond the funky and unusual design of the place to comment on the practical limitations. First the good things. Very willing and helpful staff, with great local knowledge. Good location, near city centre and transport services, Complimentary newpapers in lobby, Hotel very clean throughout, breakfast a very good deal if traveling as a couple - in explanation the breakfast (self selection) consists of a continental breakfast plus traditional full cooked breakfast for £11. If one person eats continental and the other takes the full fry up then it is still only £11 even though there is tea and coffee for two. Wifi free throughout the hotel and a reasonable selection of free films on the room TV including some of an adult nature! The colourful shower lighting is fun but it is a gimmick.

Now the not quite so good. The rooms have the design of a small sailing boat, ie they are very small - only one chair and a stool provided. The hotel compensates for this lack of space by having two communal sitting areas near the lobby, both with TVs. Unfortunately the (terrible) piped music is inescapable and so the TVs cannot be heard. There is no quiet area. The beds are hard up against two walls and a window so there are major compromises when it comes to reading in bed as only one of a couple will have access to a bedside light and one of a couple has to climb over the other to get in and out of bed, either fun or annoying depending on the situation. There is very little storage space for clothes, the hanging rail is about 20cms long so not much can be hung up. There are two underbed drawers but the lager contains additional bedding which, if removed to put clothes in, could only be stored on the limited floor space (which will already be taken up with suitcases as there is nowhere to store them either). Rooms have no courtesy trays, (no space for them anyway) so no tea or coffee in the room.

What didn't work? The room was far too hot at 24 degrees and the air conditioning failed to get it below 23 degress at any time so it was uncomfortably hot and made sleep difficult. The heating engineer failed to fix this problem. Both the shower and the sink leaked water onto the floor so much that two towels became soaked each morning and night to stop the floor becoming flooded. Inexplicably the TV came on in the middle of the night (waking us both up with a start) and on another occasion the channels changed themselves?

Overall I'd say this hotel suits short stays of 1 or 2 nights only and is probably best suited to business people. Because the rooms are so small and the design so "different", they really only suit single occupancy unless a romantic night away is the aim. Don't pack a big suitcase! The major downsides for me were the overheated room and the lack of quiet areas to sit and relax. Some will love the place but we will not be going back.

Room Tip: Try the Premier Inn round the corner.
2 Thank PennyScotland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (937)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Now, I had promised the manager ( a Dutch gentleman... Sorry I forgot your name) that I would write a review on my previous visit earlier this year, but unfortunately got caught up with work. So this review, is really for both visits I've had.

On both occasions I picked this hotel not only for the great price, but for its excellent location to where I needed to be.

The team are fantastic at observing their guests, their patterns and activities. It's a really interesting concept that they have, that all of their team members are not tied to a specific job role or department, their roles is to deliver pure hospitality regardless of where they are stationed. You would one day see the person who helped you check in on one day, then the next day they'll be behind the bar shaking cocktails. Its a concept that seem to work, because you can really see their passion for hospitality come through regardless of where in the hotel they are working that day.

On my very first stay, I was looking for macaroons to bring to clients. I had searched everywhere in between meetings, couldn't find them. Upon my return to the hotel after a day of meetings, I had asked the team if they knew of somewhere I could pick some up. I went away to more meetings, and upon my return, I was presented with a list of places and a map of where to find them. I went to the places they recommended, but still couldn't find what I was looking for.

I returned in the evenings and told the team I hadn't found the macaroons. But found a place that made cupcakes instead, not quite what I was after, but it was fine.

The following day, one of the ladies found me working at their computers, and produced a bag, with a lovely note. Inside the bag were macaroons! She had gone out of her way to track down these macaroons. Now, the macaroons in question, were not quite what I had in mind. I had no idea at the time that macaroons in Glasgow are basically a fondant bar coated in coconut. (The sugar content is enough to make you jump up the wall...intense sweetness), and not the delicate round pastry you would normally find in a patisserie. Her determination to help me was terribly sweet. I hadn't expected her or anyone to go out on their own time, to get me these confectionary. This is what I meant about their level of attention and service.

From a practicality point of view, for me the fact that there are power sockets everywhere is a huge bonus, I'm constantly needing to charge a phone or an iPad, so if you don't want to work in your room at night, you can make use of their mac computers, or their work stations. Wifi is super fast and you instantly connect even if you go out, and return later, no log ins or password. Easy peasy.

Food wise. Being on my own, I didn't venture out for my meals. I love sushi so their connection with yo!sushi was well received. They also have a hot dish or two available, this week they had a number of Indonesian dishes, which were really spot on. I must ask for the recipe for the beef rendang they served last night. I lived a large portion of my life in South East Asia, and am a huge foodie. The flavours were authentic, so hats off to the chef.

Roomwise. Definitely cannot complain at all, super large comfy bed, I hate soft mattresses and I enjoy a hard mattress, the mattress has the right balance. This trip I had a room in the 7th floor. It was great waking up to the sunrise.

On my last trip I hadn't noticed the situation with the windows. It was only on this recent trip that I noticed that the windows allow pedestrians below and neighbours opposite to see inside. I thought the windows were one way only. My fault...I do apologies profusely to whoever saw me come out of the shower. I now know to make use of the mood pad (Samsung tablet) to close the blinds before undressing.

I love the wake up feature on the mood pad. You have a choice of a gentle wake up, to a more entertaining one. I chose the gentle version of the wake up call. With the voice of a German lady counting down from 100. With the lighting gradually turning into a shade of yellow. A great way to wake up, instant good moodness.

Breakfast is great too, a large variety of hot and cold options, freshly squeezed juices, fruit smoothies etc etc. easy, not fuss, good quality, tasty and perfect to get you in your way to a productive day.

All in all, both occasions are excellent, and aside from the gadgets, the cutting edge design and great location, this is a fantastic place with genuinely passionate hospitality professionals and I cannot wait to return for either work or pleasure.

Happy travels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My partner and myself have stayed in this hotel on a few occasions when we travel to Glasgow and we cannot get enough of it ! The rooms are spotless and the staff are every so friendly ! Can't wait to return :-)

• Stayed September 2013
Dundee
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hotel is clean and generally very well presented. If had hadn't needed to Iron anything during my stay I would have had much less to say about it. I usually always have to rely on hotel Irons due to the often crammed nature of my case. I don't think its too much to ask to have an iron and ironing board in the room, or even the option to have them brought to you, hell I'll even come downstairs and bring them up myself. However I did find it peculiar being told to take my ironing to the end of the hall and through the fire escape, into a cold landing room area where lived the smallest little ironing board, screwed just low enough onto the wall so that my shirt could assist them with cleaning the fire escape floor. The dirty little iron hanging from it was equally frustrating.
Returning to my pleasant if compact room I wondered how they could get this area so wrong?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel as we wanted to stay over night, after a concert. We arrived & parked at the nearby Concert Square carpark & a 5min walk, once we figured out which way to go, we were at the hotel. Check in was self service, with a member on hand to help out should we require...and yes we needed help! Ha! We had two rooms booked, which we had to check in separately, and pay for separately which was fine apart from we were paying on creditcard and I didn't want the £2.50 charge, twice. Anyhow, the member of staff helped out and we only had to pay the one charge! We got to select our room too, either a courtyars or city view, which I thought was a nice touch.
Our room was on the 6th floor. I was really impressed with the room. Yes it's compact and there isn't that much privacy with the 'shower/toilet pod' but I really liked it. Especially messing around with the mood changer! The bed was massive, it had free movies (and lots of them!). There was a hairdrier in the room also. One thing I will add, I'm sure I read a couple reviews that said people on the street level could see in to people showering. Now our room, the pod was far enough away from the window, but regardless, there was blinds and a blackout blind! So no one would be able to see in. It did look pretty smart on a night time, from outside, with the pods illuminated!
We didn't have breakfast in the hotel so can't comment.
As for location, it was about a ten minute walk to Central Station and from there it cost us about a fiver in a taxi to the Hydro Arena.
I would definitely stay in this hotel again.
(Get your parking ticket stamped before you leave for reduced parking tarrifs!!)

• Stayed October 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

2nd visit to the hotel, as good as the first time.
Very modern rooms, free movies, reasonably priced bar, good selection of food and HUGGGEEE bed. Only downside in the rooms are very small but for the amount of time you spend there this is not a problem.
Perfect for a visit to the city for shopping or business.

1 Thank SuziNicol
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Very surprise to find such a modern hotel, very quirky and wonderful settings, the anbience both in the lounge areas, floors and bedroom were 1st class glad to recommend this hotel to anyone which visits Glasgow as is very weel situated just a couple minutes from Buchannan Galeries, Sauchiehall street and Queens Street Station, making the ideal location.

2 Thank Portucale