“Stylish: What Alexander McQueen would have designed if he designed hotels”
Review of citizenM Glasgow

citizenM Glasgow
Ranked #12 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I should say that black and red are about my least favorite decorating colors. I still love the look of this hotel.

There is lots to love in the "Ambassadors" (hotel staff) always available, 24/7, to help out with problems and advice. I had a boarding pass for my complicated return journey only because one of the Ambassadors, on my last morning, sent the file to her own personal email account at about 7 in the AM: my email was down due to problems at my school. I mentioned to another on my first day that I had forgotten an adapter plug: he immediately fetched me one that they loan out to customers.

In the room, I liked the rainfall shower even better than the bed, but both were excellent.

There might be some better way of illuminating the path to the bathroom at night for people with limited vision such as myself. You have to leave the bed by climbing over the end of it, and, yes, I could touch the wall and have light throughout the unit, but that tends to wake a person up.

The hotel is nonetheless a steal at the budget price.

Some drawbacks accounting for my 4 stars and not five....
I thought the breakfast was not an especially strong point, although my hours were so early that it was quite acceptable. I usually like 2 cups of coffee in the morning, and breakfast (though one day the "Ambassador" was generous) really only covers one cup. It is one-cup at a time brewed fresh coffee, and very nice, too; but frankly a rude plenty would have woken me up better.

If you like toast, you should ask, for as I found out after a few days, it is available on request. Otherwise there is cold bread and warmed up (but not crispy) English muffins. Europeans won't care about this but North Americans will understand. The cereals are kept out of sight. Mainly they are "kiddie" flavors anyway. There is a vanilla yogurt with granola, probably the best option if you like cereal for breakfast.

There are few foods I don't like at breakfast, but croissants are one of those foods. I can feel my arteries clogging. The continental breakfast option is really coffee and croissants. The oj is very good, though--fresh. Jaffa oranges--tart and not sweet as is the oj from Florida, where I live.

I purchased the hot breakfast option, and the "fry up"--egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, potato scone--offered for the hot breakfast will be very disappointing to people who know how it usually tastes in Glasgow. A minimalist, stylish Scottish fry-up is an oxymoron.

The potato scone was without flavor. The scrambled eggs weren't a good substitute for fried eggs (though boiled or poached eggs would have worked for me).

Despite small problems, I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat and would still get the breakfast (there are _enough_ selections at the hotel, and the hours I keep, there would not be too many other options nearby). Bustling Sauchiehall St and even one of the Willow Tea Rooms are very close nearby, but I don't like to wait until 10AM, when that area wakes up, for breakfast. If you go to a Willow Tea Room for lunch, however, I highly recommend the Cullen Skink (smoked haddock soup with chives).

My first room had a serious problem: sometimes the electronic controls worked but often they didn't. I had no phone service much of the time and--in a "perfect storm" scenario--my cell phone _and_ my email were on the fritz at the same time. This created several fairly awful problems.

In the unlikely event this happens to you as well, just request a different room at once. I wish I had done that instead of waiting 3 days and missing some contacts.

Overall, the price of this hotel is outstanding for the quality of stay, and mine was not a short-term stay. I was there for eight days. It got better as I learned how things worked there.

The staff are never "on script" and I _so_ like that. Who needs robots? The staff are creative and very bright and willing to do what they can to make guests (citizens?) comfortable.

I was up ironing clothes in the ironing room at 4AM, no problem. The common areas are convivial and very comfortable. I had coffee with an old friend in the lobby on a windy day not propitious for walking. It was lovely.

I did have a problem with my first room but when I made my wishes known, the problem was settled immediately.

The hotel is very high-tech, so if you don't like the idea of that, another hotel might make more sense for you. I am not myself crazy about high tech but found that the learning curve was reasonable.

I do wish they supplied glass rather than disposable plastic as cups for the room. I borrowed a glass from the bar b/c I don't like plastic, and it was removed by housekeeping. I could have borrowed another but instead resentfully used the plastic. Travelling in some ways makes me deeply petty.

The rooms are very small and somewhat submarine-like, jammed full of components. Still, I do _not_ pack light and yet I was not inconvenienced by any lack of storage space. There are about four hangers and about 4 inches for hanging clothes, plus two hooks for coats. Divas wouldn't like this, but who wants to be in a hotel full of divas?

This is a huge plus for me: this hotel is _clean_. Laminate floors; I really dislike carpet. Snowy linens. It reminds me of hotels in Japan, and that is about the most praise I can give for a hotel.

Several glitches with the technology are the only reason for me to withhold a top score. They were resolved with a change of room, and so I write the difficulties off to the fortunes of travel. Citizen M is a very good place indeed tp be in Glasgow, which is a _great_ place to be, perhaps my very favorite city, or maybe number 2, just after Kyoto.

Room Tip: I had rooms on the 6th and 7th floor on the street and there was no street noise on these higher lev...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (5,390)

Reviewed December 17, 2011

This hotel really is fantastic for the price. The design of the rooms is very futuristic and literally everything is controlled by the touch of a button. It is centrally situated and ideal for visiting Glasgow.
The best thing was the King size bed which is probably the most comfortable i have slept in. Enjoyable Stay.

Reviewed December 16, 2011

Just stayed for 2 nights at Citizen M on a quick city break before Xmas. It is a great location, being only a step away from the main shopping area and close to some of the great galleries in the city centre area. It is also near the subway to get out to West End. The hotel is a great experience in itself - the design is whacky and interesting, both in the rooms and especially in the lobby. The room is small but the bed is huge and very comfortable. The shower is great and there is plenty of entertainment through the TV with so many channels to choose from, you could brush up your languages if you were bored! Free wi-fi in the hotel is really useful but you can also use the Mac computers in the lobby area for free (and print), which is great if you need to research 'Whats On' and grab a map. The breakfast was very reasonable and all you could need. As another reviewer has mentioned, the bar area is very cool and we returned there towards the end of the evening as it was a great place to end the day. Our only quibble would be no tea and coffee facilities in the room and very little hanging space. But, all in all, a great hotel and experience and at an amazing price.

Reviewed December 16, 2011

We live only around 20 miles from Citizen M Glasgow, but wanted to have a few drinks after a great experience at the Royal Concert Hall.
We took a chance at the Citizen M Glasgow, and found it to be a great experience. From a smooth self service check in to a breakfast that can compare more than favourably with other hotels in the city centre, we were impressed. The surroundings were chic and the staff very helpful and friendly.
I loved that everything was controlled from a remote, including lights, television and blinds and appreciated the free movies, even although we never got a chance to use the facility.

I would heartily recommend this hotel, but for a one night stay only, due to the lack of hanging space and in room facilities such as refreshments. I've downed it on the sleep quality, only because I prefer to have access to FRESH air, as opposed to air conditioning only.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

Fantastic hotel! Comfortable and luxurious without the stupid price-tag.

Visiting for business it was fantastic to find free wi-fi throughout the building without any hassle of setting anything up. Comfortable, well-appointed meeting rooms are plentiful and for those travelling more frequently - a members lounge for frequent guests.

The "mood pad" in the room was a great touch - controlling everything from mood-lighting, to the large wall mounted tv, to the blinds.

The shower was heaven and soft fluffy towels smelt great.

Whilst the rooms may be smaller than you might expect in similar hotels - they combine compactness with extreme comfort and the best part of this was the vast square bed occupying the last 3rd of the room.

Free movies on demand with latest releases was an unexpected bonus.

The hotel bar felt more like a trendy cocktail lounge with comfy seating and stylish, plush sofas.

Staff are attentive and approachable without being intrusive and no request is too small.

Will definitely be visiting again

Room Tip: All rooms are equally as good - however the higher the floor you are on, the more you seem to hear t...
1  Thank richardmckee
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed at Citizen M for one night while on business in Glasgow. Very different to the usual hotel experience. Rooms on the small side but are well planned out with a huge bed and very stylish.

Huge bed was really comfortable, with big wall mounted TV with loads of free movies, remote control access for lights, blinds, and temperature which took some getting used to but worked well, and had a really good shower in the morning.

I didn't eat at the hotel as its very central and close to plenty of other food options. As the rooms are pretty bare, its fine for one or two nights, but if staying longer I'd perhaps consider somewhere else.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

Won the stylish hotel of glasgow 2011. with its weird & wonderful furniture in lobby area, rooms have very comfy bed, mood lighting, the amount of free movies that are up to date and new are brilliant! showers are AMAZING, and they stock everything from rolls to vibrators at their shop beside their bar.

It's like a live in Ikea & I love the Check-in counters as well as the decor!

Staff are awesome & really friendly. It's so central yet you cannot hear anything from the outside world.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple