“Mixed bag”

Reserve a Table
Tue, 10/22
8:00 PM
Ranked #824 of 2,899 Restaurants in Glasgow
Description: The all-day British brasserie has an all-encompassing menu serving modern British and international Ivy-inspired classics from dawn until dusk, seven days a week. The restaurant is situated across two floors with a large bar prominent on both floors, and beautiful private dining room on the first floor. The Ivy Buchanan Street offers residents, businesses and shoppers a relaxed yet sophisticated dining experience.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Start with the positives. Nicely turned out, staff pretty pleasant on the whole. Food was pretty decent - not cheap as we paid £130 for 3 courses each and wine but then not positioned as pub grub but my wife and I have fine dined before and The Ivy has a long way to go before it can be called fine dining . Things that could have been improved included the gentleman pouring our wine missed my glass and soaked the tablecloth but blanked it. When I said to the waitress she blanked it too. We were sandwiched between 2 couples- first couple got a free dessert as they forgot their mains order and the other couple complained as they kept having to pur their own wine (we didn't incidentally as our waitress was vet attentive). Food was good as mentioned but the main course portion size was skimpy. Really nice shepherd's pie @£17 but looked like it was cooked in a ramekin. Not looking for comfort food size but a bit bigger would be good. Main issue though was when we wanted to go upstairs for a post dinner drink. Really fussy and borderline pompous . No standing at bar - fine _ but loads of room to have more barstools. Was embarrassing scouting for seats, barmaid finding 2 only to be told the manager had already promised them to 2 other custs - spent over £100 but made to feel unwelcome. The barmaid finally found us 2 seats and we have 4 drinks - not cheap at £50 - but lose the snobbery upstairs!

2  Thank jimxsmith
Write a reviewReviews (219)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

So we arrived at 1 pm for a couple of drinks on the way to Atlantic brasserie.
Even though there were lots of empty tables inside they said we had to sit outside.
Given that it was a lovely day it was fine BUT had it been poor weather we couldn’t have drinks inside for health and safety reasons ...no standing at bar . eh .. . As there was a small group of us . 2 drinks later, on the presentation of bill service charge had been added.
Very underwhelmed by the experience .
It is nothing like the original Ivy .
Somethings just can’t be replicated

3  Thank Judi G
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I called in mid-week recently to see if they had a table for lunch. We were taken to a table upstairs. The lunch for two with no alcohol was good enough. I asked for the bill and it came to just over £50. As we were fairly short on time (nothing to do with any tardy service; the service was fine) I took the bill to the bar area and asked (what appeared to be a senior member of staff) to process my card for payment. I asked them to make the payment up to £57 to include a tip. The chap told me they couldn’t add anything to the card by way of a tip. I dipped into my pocket and (no luck for me) I only had £20s and £10s. Whilst I thought a £10 tip on a bill of just over £50 was very generous, I’ll admit that I didn’t want to ask the chap for a fiver back and seem a skinflint, so I gave him the £10 tip, which he told me would go to the servers. If you are reading this, you probably know what is coming next... Upon getting home, I looked at the bill to see that a 12.5% service charge had already been added to my bill. Therefore, for a meal (without any service charge) of approximately £46, I had “tipped” somewhere in the region of £15 - or 30%. My issue is with the member of staff who elected not to advise me that there was already a 12.5% service charge added to the bill, when I asked him to add a tip onto my card. Also, neither did he mention the 12.5% service charge as he gleefully took the £10 that I pressed into his palm. This place is getting a kicking over the 12.5% charge that is automatically added to bills - to me, that is not as bad as a member of staff willingly watch a customer (who was clearly unaware of the 12.5% service charge) tip a tenner on top of the 12.5%. Shocking.

13  Thank yanyan60
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited at the beginning of August for breakfast. It was mid week so we expected that a group of 6 would not be a huge issue.

The decor is, without doubt, beautiful although the premises are much smaller than I expected so I do understand why it would be impractical to have people sitting at the bar as it would simply be too crowded next to tables.

Our food was ok, if somewhat mediocre and not terrible warm. No refills on tea or coffee and requested glasses of water were not refilled after a certain point either. We did feel that we had used up our “allotted time” and pressured to leave.

Not sure I would return. Glasgow is full of really good options.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank Gill69a
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having been to a number of Ivy's which seem to be fairly formulaic in all respects, this one stands out as a complete disaster. The food, obviously, was no different to others in this chain but the service was beyond atrocious. We had to wait nearly half an hour for our wine and we eventually got our food, the lights were turned down so one could hardly see what we were eating. The crowning moment was seeing our waiter getting a lesson on how to remove a cork from a bottle.

2  Thank WillyC29