“Faultless!”

Qua Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Qua Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 2,393 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Healthy
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Top-rated family-run restaurant with modest aims serving contemporary Italian cuisine made by experienced chefs. Our kitchen begins to serve food at 11.30am and the last food orders are at 10pm 7 days per week.
Motherwell, United Kingdom
“Faultless!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Went with friends for dinner just after the New Year and we are already planning to go back! I have eaten in numerous Italian restaurants in the centre of Glasgow and I have to say the food in Qua is the best I have tasted. The pre theatre menu offers very good value too. The restaurant was packed but service was swift and the staff were very friendly. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited December 2013

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Fantastic evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

My son had tried this restaurant before and recommended we went for a meal last night. He was right what a lovely place food was excellent, value for money and service was superb. Booked at short notice Via 5pm.co.uk shown to a lovely table away from a large party who were enjoying themselves all four of us enjoyed the Pre theatre menu which had plenty of choice. Will definitely return.

Glasgow
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Had dinner at Qua last night with a friend. The food was excellent and brilliant value for money. The waiters were incredibly friendly and efficient. We'll definitely be back!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Have eaten in Qua for few years now,this January the wonderful managment have changed the menu,the food has went from being good to excellent.
The service from the staff is second to none,nothing is to much trouble.

S

Visited January 2014
Glasgow
“Poor food washed down by spectacular service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

I would have rated this place as 'POOR' if it wasn't for the exceptional service from the characterful waiters.
You really do pay for what you get, but that's not excuse for poor cooking and short cuts. £18 for 3 courses and a coffee - too good to be true.

My pate starter came out looking like the Sydney opera house with the melba toast shoved into the pate like 3 sails of a boat with some berry gloop on the side. The pate did seem home made but it was bordering on runny and it lacked true flavour and seasoning - let alone presentation.

My chosen main course was Tagliatelle with tiger prawns in a 'fresh' cherry tomato, truffle oil and white wine sauce. - Sounds fantastic but the pasta was horribly over cooked and the sauce....... well, you couldn't taste wine or the truffle oil and it wasn't seasoned. Basically it was flavourless and I can't believe an Italian was overcooking pasta. And the prawns were straight from the freezer and hard.

The desert - a recommended bought in pastry encased orange panacotta with chocolate sauce from a bottle covering it and a thick layer of icing sugar. Truly terrible. Such a simple desert done horrifically. I couldn't even finish it and neither did my friend it was that awful.

SO. Food = Shocking.
Service = great (except even though I left half of my desert on my plate the waiter did not ask if everything was ok)
I couldn't recommend this to anyone - at least - not for the set menu.

2 Thank Mark L
QuaRestaurant, Manager at Qua Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
My title for your review: Ignorant insolences washed-down by arrogant hyper-criticisms.
My method in responding: treating you with the same over-the-top disdain as you have shown our hard-working, committed, experienced and excellent chef team.
My reasoning: allowing (hopefully) you to experience the same frustration/irritation as I and my hardworking staff/family at receiving your unwarranted, plain wrong and greatly ill-informed condemnation. Perhaps you and the great many other callous wannabe restaurant critics like you who ride-roughshod over the expertise and effort of service industry workers may absorb some of this and change your behaviours.
My response: Thankfully I am able to comprehensively set-aside your comments on the quality/presentation of your food due to the following:
-actual food critics in the Evening Times (Dinertec), Daily Record (Tam Cowan), Glaswegian Newspaper and Herald Newspaper readers were served the same dishes by the same chefs and awarded our kitchen very high praise for, inter alia, freshness and quality of ingredients, cooking and presentation.
-the very high rating we have on this website (and others similar to it) as well as the incredibly large number of compliments paid to our value for money and food quality/taste in the vast amount of good/excellent reviews we have received.
-the 100% confidence that I have in my honest and experienced head chef, Angelo, in preparing and overseeing the preparation of the specific dishes you so derided. This 100% confidence has been derived from my 6+ years dealings with him and the plentiful amount of positive experiences my family, staff and customers consistently advise me of after eating the food he has made/oversaw the making of. This includes our paté (my almost-nightly late night snack before going home), our own hand-prepared fresh egg tagliatelle/ravioli/linguine (delicate, tasty, soft pasta which melts in your mouth the way that dried pasta never could) and the absolutely delicious orange pannacotta tart (so popular and well-received by all who eat it – until you Mr Mark L- that my Aunt Isabella takes home an entire one whenever she has a family occasion to give as a dessert- please note the spelling Mr Mark L- to her family/friends.
Now, to pick-apart your misguided and offensive comments in same fashion as you have every one of the dishes you ate when you visited our restaurant:
-the Sydney Opera House is one of the most iconic/distinctive and internationally acclaimed buildings constructed in the 20th Century. I personally do not think our paté presentation even comes close to the splendour of the magnificent shell-shaped sails soaring atop the red granite platform at the Sydney Opera House. Instead, I and most reasonable people would recognise our paté presentation as being a cute way of making 3 generous spoons of pate, 3 oatcakes, 3 pieces of melba toast, a bit of red-berry coulis and a small salad garnish fit on a starter plate. Nothing more, nothing less. I, nevertheless, thank you for the commendation your citation conveys, Mr Mark L.
-our berry “gloop”: the viscosity (this means thickness Mr Mark L, I noticed that you are unable to spell the word ‘dessert’ twice so I am going to help you out at certain parts of my response) of our red berry coulis is the natural result of cooking red berry fruit with water and sugar. We make it to a viscosity so that it stays in a circle shape on the plate beside the paté. It tastes very nice and sweet and we all think it goes well with the buttery liver taste of pate. One man’s gloop is another man’s puréed, strained, thick liquid...
-our chicken liver paté, expectedly, has the texture and flavour of cooked chicken livers lightly seasoned and then blended with butter. I do not understand the references to “bordering on runny” nor “lacking in real flavour and seasoning” from your review. You seem to have conflated the “real flavour” of cooked chicken liver and butter with that of salt and pepper. Perhaps you have only ever eaten salt-laden long-life pork liver supermarket paté. Our own freshly-made chicken liver version is different and much, much better. Educate yourself before savaging the expertise of a full-time highly-experienced chef.
-I typed-up your £17.95 4-course menu. I know that the description of Tagliatelle dish that you ripped-apart contains a reference to “fresh egg pasta ribbons”. Whilst it is possible that it may have been overcooked, what is far more likely is that you do not know the difference between overcooked dried pasta and perfectly-well-cooked delicate, soft, handmade fresh egg pasta. I noticed that you put the word fresh into inverted commas (this also means quotation marks Mr Mark L). I do not know if this is as a result of your readily-apparent poor grammar or if this was an attempt at a criticism. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was just another instance of your poor grammar rather than deride you for a peculiar attempt at criticism over my usage of ‘fresh’. Also, white wine doesn’t taste like white wine once it has been cooked in a pasta sauce. Furthermore, too much truffle oil and over-seasoning with salt and pepper etc. would over-power the other (what you may refer to as “true”) flavours of the dish. The tiger prawns were not “straight from the freezer” (whatever this actually means). We try to use fresh seafood whenever possible and this is made easier at the weekends when we are busier (and so guaranteed to sell it before it expires or needs to be frozen). I know exactly the night when you visited as we had 3 separate large groups on the £17.95 4 course menu. This has been the only day of the month/year so far that we have had any tables eating from the £17.95 4 course menu. It was Saturday past- 12th January 2014. I bought the fresh raw tiger prawns myself that morning. Whilst it is possible they were overcooked and so “hard” as you described, what is far more probable is that you are mistaken and do not know what texture a properly cooked fresh tiger prawn should take-on when cooked.
-our “panacotta” [sic] “desert” [sic] has, until now, not been and could not reasonably be condemned in the way in which you have. If the person you describe as your “friend” couldn’t finish it either for the same reasons as you, this may explain why you two are friends. Incidentally, what on earth is wrong with serving chocolate sauce from a bottle? If your point is that we don’t make the chocolate sauce then you are actually mistaken. We do this for cost reasons as buying a high quality ready-made chocolate sauce is very expensive. The one we make is better value for money to us than the ones I have bought in the past. It tastes good too. We serve it from a bottle. Most dessert sauces require to be served in this way or something similar to it.
-SO Your ill-informed attacks on our food = Shocking.
Thanks very much for the praise of our “great”/”exceptional” waiters/service, nonetheless.
Paolo Martone