“Escape from the rain to a cute cake haven!”

The Hidden Lane Tearoom
Ranked #13 of 101 Coffee & Tea in Glasgow
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Anderston
Description: Celebrating all things vintage, The Hidden Lane Tearoom harks back to a bygone era where drinking from the finest china and enjoying High Tea was simply a way of life. Open from 9 - 6, the tearoom is a place to come and enjoy breakfast, bruch, lunch, high tea and early dinner with a range of dishes, loose leaf teas, coffee and delicious home baking to suit all. With its hidden away location surrounded by colourful ofices, studios and workshops the Tearoom really is one of Glasgow's best kept secrets.
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Escape from the rain to a cute cake haven!”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Had a delightful lunch experience in this hidden gem. Don't walk past - head down the lane!
4 of us opted for the deli platter. A tasty selection of bread, cheeses, meats, salad, olives, chutney.
Then followed with a cakestand of delicious delightful sweet treats. Brownies, meringues, whoopie pies, cupcakes - thank goodness for the wee box to take away our leftovers! Cute, quaint decor and vintage tea cups and teapots. A lovely range of fab teas. Tables around us were having the afternoon tea option which looked scrummy! A very nice way to spend a wet Sunday. Well worth a visit. We had an internet voucher which made it really great value.

2 Thank Mo S

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Yummy Cakes”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had afternoon tea here. It was a delight with delicious cakes and great tea. The food was served on lovely vintage crockery, the cafe is small and intimate with a warm welcome from staff. A gem

buckie
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We visited the Hidden Lane Tea Room last week and will probably return in the future. We ordered Tea and scones and my daughter had a meringue (huge) and a hot chocolate and whilst we enjoyed it, I cannot understand why they serve the hot drinks first then take ages to serve the cakes. Our drinks were cold and almost finished before our food arrived and it was just really annoying. The cafe was not particularly busy but I had the feeling that we had slipped their mindS as we were sitting in a small area off the main cafe. The empty dirty tables next to us were not cleared the whole time we were in and this just gave the impression of sloppy practices and a couldn't care less sort of attitude. This could be a really nice place with some tweeks but as someone with years of experience in catering I am afraid I would be expecting more of my staff and would want the standard raised somewhat.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank golfwidow53
TheHiddenLaneTearoom, Owner at The Hidden Lane Tearoom, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to review the Tearoom, I'm really sorry your experience wasn't the best. I do appreciate that you have scored us high despite this. I take any sort of genuine criticism very seriously and these matters will be looked into.

I do apologise that you had to wait longer for your cakes than your drinks. We do try and make sure customers at least have their drinks if we know there will be any sort of wait for the food, as we don't like to leave people for long with nothing on their table, I don't know exactly when you visited so not sure why it would have taken so long to get your cakes to you, but I will look into this. You should have been informed if there was a wait for the food. With regards to the tables around you, this suggests that before your arrival it had been really busy. As we do all the dishes by hand due to their delicate nature, sometimes we run out of space for dirty ones and we have to leave them until we get have space by the sink, this probably sounds a bit silly, but we are really short of space in the kitchen area and sometimes on a busy day this cannot be avoided.

I appreciate that despite these issues, you say you would visit again. This is not the standard of service that I, or my customers should expect here, and we use reviews like this to grow and improve, hopefully if you visit again you will see that.

Thanks again

Scotland
“I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back :(”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I has so looked forward to having afternoon tea here, and was delighted when I got an internet deal. However, when we got there the service was really slow and poor, we waited 15 mins before anyone took our order - although 3 other tables came in after us and were served almost straight away - I don't know whether this was because of the internet deal - when the food came, the sandwiches were pretty average, some tuna, cold meat and a goats cheese & pickle (there was no choice of fillings offered to us) the tea was very weak - one bag in a huge teapot and when we asked for another pot, it was practicly slamed down on the table, again I don't know if this was due to the deal we had - beacuse when I arrived at the tearoom and showed the booking confirmation the girl was a bit 'sniffy' about it . all in all, I wasn't impressed and wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.

• Visited December 2013
Hi there, thank you for your review. I am genuinely disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience. Under no circumstances should you have been treated any differently because you were using a voucher and this will be looked into seriously. It is possible that as you had a voucher for afternoon tea, therefor we knew your order other than drinks, that it seemed like other tables were dealt with before you as they were ordering from the menu. Either way, you should have been spoken too by a waitress to ensure you didn't feel neglected. Huge apologies for this. We have had a couple of comments recently about the sandwiches, obviously due to the volume of afternoon teas we do , we cannot offer each table completely different sandwich options, we do however ask if there are any dietary requirements, this should have been the case for your table also, so again, my apologies if this wasn't the case. I think I need to look into new sandwich fillings for the afternoon tea though, and this will be done immediately.

We use Living Social as a marketing initiative, it does not make any money for the Tearoom, which makes it increasingly important that customers who use a voucher are happy and would come back. We have clearly not been up to scratch in your experience and will use your comments to improve our service.

Kind regards

Glasgow
“Glasgow Favourite”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I have been going to the Hidden Lane tearoom for a number of years and have always loved it! It's cosy in the winter and light and airy in the summer. I have a five month old baby and we are always made to feel extremely welcome there with the buggy etc. I was particularly impressed a few weeks ago when we were at a joint 65th and 35th birthday party in the beautiful new function room. There were 20 of us, including 3 grumpy babies and not an easy group with dairy allergies, gluten free requirements etc. They even managed to provide an egg free cake with no notice!! We were treated to a delicious afternoon tea and could not have asked for better service from the owner (Kirsty) and her team, especially as the rest of the tearoom was packed and there was a queue for tables!

To sum it up....

Delicious cakes and sandwiches
Teapots constantly topped up
Staff attentive, friendly and extremely accommodating
Lovely, comfortable surroundings
Doggy bags for all the left overs

Still up there with my Glasgow favourites!

Visited November 2013
TheHiddenLaneTearoom, Owner at The Hidden Lane Tearoom, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. Really glad everyone had a good time, it was lovely having you all, and thanks for supplying us with some wonderful live music...the opera was a very welcome surprise!

Thanks again.