“Afternoon Tea”

Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Anderston
Description: Celebrating all things vintage, The Hidden Lane Tearoom harks back to a bygone era where drinking from the finest china and enjoying High Tea was simply a way of life. Open from 9 - 6, the tearoom is a place to come and enjoy breakfast, bruch, lunch, high tea and early dinner with a range of dishes, loose leaf teas, coffee and delicious home baking to suit all. With its hidden away location surrounded by colourful ofices, studios and workshops the Tearoom really is one of Glasgow's best kept secrets.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We visited the Hidden Lane Tea Room last week and will probably return in the future. We ordered Tea and scones and my daughter had a meringue (huge) and a hot chocolate and whilst we enjoyed it, I cannot understand why they serve the hot drinks first then take ages to serve the cakes. Our drinks were cold and almost finished before our food arrived and it was just really annoying. The cafe was not particularly busy but I had the feeling that we had slipped their mindS as we were sitting in a small area off the main cafe. The empty dirty tables next to us were not cleared the whole time we were in and this just gave the impression of sloppy practices and a couldn't care less sort of attitude. This could be a really nice place with some tweeks but as someone with years of experience in catering I am afraid I would be expecting more of my staff and would want the standard raised somewhat.

1  Thank golfwidow53
TheHiddenLaneTearoom, Owner at The Hidden Lane Tearoom, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to review the Tearoom, I'm really sorry your experience wasn't the best. I do appreciate that you have scored us high despite this. I take any sort of genuine criticism very seriously and these matters will be looked into.

I do apologise that you had to wait longer for your cakes than your drinks. We do try and make sure customers at least have their drinks if we know there will be any sort of wait for the food, as we don't like to leave people for long with nothing on their table, I don't know exactly when you visited so not sure why it would have taken so long to get your cakes to you, but I will look into this. You should have been informed if there was a wait for the food. With regards to the tables around you, this suggests that before your arrival it had been really busy. As we do all the dishes by hand due to their delicate nature, sometimes we run out of space for dirty ones and we have to leave them until we get have space by the sink, this probably sounds a bit silly, but we are really short of space in the kitchen area and sometimes on a busy day this cannot be avoided.

I appreciate that despite these issues, you say you would visit again. This is not the standard of service that I, or my customers should expect here, and we use reviews like this to grow and improve, hopefully if you visit again you will see that.

Thanks again

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I has so looked forward to having afternoon tea here, and was delighted when I got an internet deal. However, when we got there the service was really slow and poor, we waited 15 mins before anyone took our order - although 3 other tables came in after us and were served almost straight away - I don't know whether this was because of the internet deal - when the food came, the sandwiches were pretty average, some tuna, cold meat and a goats cheese & pickle (there was no choice of fillings offered to us) the tea was very weak - one bag in a huge teapot and when we asked for another pot, it was practicly slamed down on the table, again I don't know if this was due to the deal we had - beacuse when I arrived at the tearoom and showed the booking confirmation the girl was a bit 'sniffy' about it . all in all, I wasn't impressed and wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.

Hi there, thank you for your review. I am genuinely disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience. Under no circumstances should you have been treated any differently because you were using a voucher and this will be looked into seriously. It is possible that as you had a voucher for afternoon tea, therefor we knew your order other than drinks, that it seemed like other tables were dealt with before you as they were ordering from the menu. Either way, you should have been spoken too by a waitress to ensure you didn't feel neglected. Huge apologies for this. We have had a couple of comments recently about the sandwiches, obviously due to the volume of afternoon teas we do , we cannot offer each table completely different sandwich options, we do however ask if there are any dietary requirements, this should have been the case for your table also, so again, my apologies if this wasn't the case. I think I need to look into new sandwich fillings for the afternoon tea though, and this will be done immediately.

We use Living Social as a marketing initiative, it does not make any money for the Tearoom, which makes it increasingly important that customers who use a voucher are happy and would come back. We have clearly not been up to scratch in your experience and will use your comments to improve our service.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I have been going to the Hidden Lane tearoom for a number of years and have always loved it! It's cosy in the winter and light and airy in the summer. I have a five month old baby and we are always made to feel extremely welcome there with the buggy etc. I was particularly impressed a few weeks ago when we were at a joint 65th and 35th birthday party in the beautiful new function room. There were 20 of us, including 3 grumpy babies and not an easy group with dairy allergies, gluten free requirements etc. They even managed to provide an egg free cake with no notice!! We were treated to a delicious afternoon tea and could not have asked for better service from the owner (Kirsty) and her team, especially as the rest of the tearoom was packed and there was a queue for tables!

To sum it up....

Delicious cakes and sandwiches
Teapots constantly topped up
Staff attentive, friendly and extremely accommodating
Lovely, comfortable surroundings
Doggy bags for all the left overs

Still up there with my Glasgow favourites!

TheHiddenLaneTearoom, Owner at The Hidden Lane Tearoom, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. Really glad everyone had a good time, it was lovely having you all, and thanks for supplying us with some wonderful live music...the opera was a very welcome surprise!

Thanks again.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

What should have been a very memorable enjoyable Baby Shower for my 8 month pregnant neice, was completly ruined in the final moments over a bill issue. Resulting in my neice and her best friend who had arranged the event, in tears appologising to everyone as we walked down the lane.
We went here for my 8 month pregnant nieces Baby Shower. And everything was going swimmingly, (apart from a few issues with crockery), between a group of family, friends and work colleagues, who had mostly never met before, until there was a gross mistake with the bill.
My bad points may have even been forgiven, however in light of the dreadful final moments, it just adds to and ends a very bad experience.
There are good recommendations for The Hidden Lane tearoom, and this was why it had initially been appealing.

GOOD POINTS
Nice quaint tearoom, which was set out, reminding me of warm memories of a childs tea party. eg lots of cute miss matched crockery and chairs, and jam jars instead of glasses. (Excellent idea).
The waitressing staff were very pleasant and attentive despite being clearly rushed off their feet. A big thankyou to them for all their hard work. And an even bigger one to the girl who especially came in due to our booking. The waitresses customer service was astounding. (Though with regret, i will have to base the score at the end on the overall experience as the final moments were a disgrace).
The coffee was great. Coffee cups appeared to be clean, from what was seen on the outside.
Sandwiches were well filled.
It was a cold day and the tea room was very warm.
It was a nice way to meet the friends, family and work colleagues of the pregnant guest of honours.

BAD POINTS
Some of the teacups were dusty and required a good soak in steredent due to tea staining. Some were chipped and the teapot which leaked over a guest was missing the lid handle which was jagged, and was found out when held in response to it jiggling and finally leaking when poured. Granted it was swapped when pionted out, but I don't understand why it would be given out to customers in the first place, as a natural reaction to pouring, is to hold down the lid. It also insulates the heat from the china. Quite sure that is a health and safety issue.!!!
£20 was very expensive, especially as the price didnt match the quality of food. The bread tasted run of the mill which you could buy from the local store. (I do make all my own bread and you can tell a difference). Maybe, as they apparently didn't know we were coming, they perhaps hadn't baked enough bread and decided to buy in from a local store. The sandwich fillings although plentiful, again they were very basic and didn't taste in any way different from what you could make yourself. They also lacked presentation Furtheremore and strangely, they appear to offer the same deal we got, but on a basis for 2 people sharing between £20-30, yet the group were charged £20 each!!!!
It is also overpriced, especially for that particular area in the West End, and the lane itself lets it down, due to the mish mash of businesses. Most definatly not one for the scenary or surroundings. People with walking difficulties will have to be careful on the slippy uneven cobbles.
Some of the cakes were nice, but most were not to everyones liking, hence why we were given 4 large boxes to transport them in, which some people took for family as it had been paid for. However, they were an awful lot left behind too. I think the scones had been out in the heat prior to our arrival and had got a bit hard, by the time we got them. Some of the group had to have a vegetarian option due to faith reasons (and this was expressed from the start) and they were catered for in the sandwiches. However, they also did not partake in alcohol either, yet they were provided with cakes made from rum!!!! No doubt the alcohol is lost in cooking, but even to offer a cake to them with rum in the name, is a very silly mistake to make!!! Thank goodness one of the group spotted them and pointed it out before they tried to eat one!
Our tables were only 2 set for 12 people in total, of which there were 11 of us. We were charged for 14, and I dont know any eatery who charges for more people than were present. I dont even know where 14 could have sat, as the surrounding tables were packed when we started. It was also so busy, that had anyone else arrived, it would have been a hassle to disturb the owner, for an extra 3 people.
However, It was unfortunately, this overcharging, that was the cherry on the cake, which was very reluctantly deducted from the final bill.
The planner was summoned by the owner into the main room which was full of customers. Her voice was raised and it carried over the environment noise, although, everything hushed as it was happening in our room, and i guess it did too in the main room hence why it was so clear to everyone in the room we shared with others. This shameful confrontation was very disturbing and embaressing, and the poor girl had to return past everyone to us with tears in her eyes.
In summary, I have had afternoon tea in many renowned tearooms, in Glasgow, York, Edinburgh and London, where some have been cheaper than the hidden tearoom, but unmistakedly the quality of food was remarkable in all of them, and every one of them is memorable. The Hidden Lane Tearoom, will of course be memorable for all the wrong reasons.
We knew there was almost an non event, due to a mix up with the booking, though the Hidden Lane obviously appeared to have sorted things out, and we were non the wiser, as the planner made no negative remarks during the baby shower.
However, from what was witnessed at the end of the event, which we clearly heard, it would appear that the Hidden Lane Tearoom had an irrecoverable issue from the start with the planner regarding the booking, which could not be overcome, where the purpose of the occassion and others in the group were all forgotten.

8  Thank JACS033
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Went here for a high tea. The cakes were all freshly baked and excellent and the sandwiches were obviously prepared in house with very good ingredients. The portions on the high teas were big enough that we ended up taking a few cakes hone. The teas were very nice as well with some nice steam milk style combinations on offer as well as the more traditional teas. I would not hesitate to go back.

Thank you for taking time to leave your great review, obviously our hidden location means we rely on word of mouth so it's great to have people sharing their experiences.

Thanks again,