“Excellent Value”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: postcode G12 8RE
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Back in the mid noughties, there was this shoebox of a middle eastern restaurant a few doors up from Roots and Fruits on the Great Western Road. It was so minute it barely squeezed five tables in. They did great food and even better, they had a BYOB policy and had the sense to be located 50 feet from a wine shop. I loved it in there and it was one of the first places I looked up when I returned to Glasgow...imagine my disappointment when I realised it had closed down.

Two years on and I have now visited Persia for the second time and I am glad to say I have now found a replacement for my Iranian food fix.

This time we ordered the combination platter for a starter (hummus, kashk-o-bademjan (aubergine dish) and a shallot dip plus dolmeh fel fel (stuffed mildly spiced pepper) with a naan bread the size of the alien mothership from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Thankfully, I didn't get the inclination to build the Devil's Tower in my kitchen when I got home.

Seriously...it's so huge Glasgow City Council will charge Council Tax on it in the near future or declare it a Special Economic Zone.

The starter was great with a special mention for the kashk-o-bademjan...it was full of delicate flavour. i could easily just have ordered three portions of that instead.

The two small rug rats had chicken tenders and a beefburger for their mains off the kids menu...

...I know, I know...not exactly persian is it...well, come on...they had just devoured some meze so we let them off this time. I ordered the lamb loin chops and the beautiful one ordered the ghormeh sabzi (lamb and aubergine stew).

The girls meals were massive for a kid's portion and both were nicely presented and cooked well. My lamb chops were beautiful (you get five mini chops) and I would definitely order again. My wife's minor gripe was her dish seemed bland by comparison, lacking seasoning. However i have to say she had the same dish on the first visit and it was deemed much better.

Small wine list but a good range of budget choices...£20 for a bottle of Chablis in a restaurant is good value.

The owner was also very friendly and service was very good.

Be aware, the portion sizes are HUGE. So much so we ordered out deserts to take home...

...and a taxi...

(they do takeaway and home delivery too)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

First time in this restaurant.Really nice food, great atmosphere.authentic persian, iranian restaurant suggested by an Iranian friend. In west end, glasgow. Average meal about 5-10 pound.The meals ranging from kebab, rice, grilled stuff etc..

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Thought we would come here for a birthday celebration, and we were seated in perhaps not the best seat next to the stairs (bit crowded) although shortly after did offer us any seat to move to. Restaurant nice and clean, nice decor and music not too loud so you can still hear each other!

Food was very nice - although may have been good for the waitress just to clarify what each of the skewers was for our main course as we went for the mixed grill option. Was very tasty!

Nothing bad to say about the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed our visit! Would definitely visit again!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

My and my wife visited this restaurant using a voucher we'd received as a Christmas present.

The voucher allowed us a mixed starter platter to share with a nan bread plus a choice of main course each from a set menu.

My wife (who has been a vegetarian for over 20 years) ordered a vegetarian dish from the menu and halfway through eating it she discovered a piece of lamb in it.

We told the waitress who apologised and got the chef to prepare a fresh dish for her. She also gave my wife a glass of wine free of charge.

The second dish came to the table while I was visiting the toilet and when I came out I could tell by the look on my wife's face that all was not well. This second dish had also contained a piece of lamb but she had actually swallowed it.

I was incensed by this and was about to call the waitress over by my wife didn't want to make a scene over it so I just let it go.

It goes without saying that vegetarian dishes shouldn't have meat in them and especially not when a mistake has been made then it happens a second time.

Other than this shocking incident the food and service were really good and up until this happened we had been saying how we would definitely come back and would recommend i to our friends and family.

Because of our experience I've given the restaurant a one for service but our waitress was nice and this only reflects my wife's experience with her food not the waitresses service.

1  Thank billymoat
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Something different from what the west end usually offers. Friendly staff,nice surroundings and good food. A place we keep going to time after time, no need to book and great comfort food!