“Excellent, innovative food, mediocre desserts, nice service”
Review of Cookie - CLOSED

Cookie
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Cookie is one of the more expensive places on Glasgow's South Side, but it's definitely worth the prices they charge- for the starters and mains anyway. Lots of delicious, innovative dishes, with great fresh ingredients. The staff are always friendly and helpful, and know a lot about the food.

Cookie is quite small so it pays to book. You can get a bit cramped in there when it's full; I like the nice wooden tables but you are often very close to other people. Just mentioning it in case that's a problem for you- it isn't for me!

Couple of small drawbacks- their desserts and cakes aren't up to the standard of their starters and mains. A bit blah, sometimes stale. I like my desserts and would avoid if I was looking for somewhere to stop for tea and cake only. They also have very limited vegetarian options (usually one thing on the menu), although they had many more good vegetarian options last time I went so perhaps they are addressing this! Regardless: the vegetarian options are always delicious (I am told by my vegetarian friends). You may be stretching it to get a vegan meal as this place is very Italian and meat/chicken/fish oriented. But it's not unheard of so maybe call first.

They do quite a nice hot chocolate! And their weekend brunches are fantastic too.

NB This review is based on numerous visits since Cookie opened, not just my most recent January 2013 visit.

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this establishment a number of times over the last few months for dinner, brunch, lunch and time and time again I've not been disappointed. The menu remains varied and has an excellent choice all sourced from local produce. The menu wouldn't look out of place in an expensive bistro in the city. The quality and presentation of food is second to none and the service is friendly, relaxed and informal which compliments the surroundings. The kitchen is open and draws you into the passion that the chefs obviously have whilst cooking the food with all the sounds, smells and sights. I'm so thankful cookie is part of my local community and will remain a regular haunt for me. The breakfasts are a must !!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We take all our visitors here for a relaxed Sunday brunch - all the best ingredients, nice friendly staff, great coffee and a lovely chilled out atmosphere have made us go back again and again. Dinner is great here too and the Chef Wars is a fun, unusual dining experience.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have just tried Cookie for the first time, for some reason we haven't been in before - what a waste of time!

It's a quirky little place and really comfortable. Food is REALLY good - hubbie says it's the best meal he has had in ages. Quote "I'd walk 500 miles for that pasta".

Service with a smile too! We will be back!!!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Booked a table last minute on a Saturday night and was informed that we could only have the table for an hour and a half as they had another booking at 8pm, which was understandable. Nice warm welcome, the food was served quickly and tasted great. As we were enjoying our desserts, the older waitress interrupted us and to "speed up the process" she handed us our bill. This was really disappointing as we still had 20 minutes of our allotted time left. It would have been fine if we were pushed for time and there was a queue at the door, but with no queue and a spare table for two by the window (which was still empty when we left!), there really was no need.

Also noticed there are a few other reviews similar to this one. The poor service really did put us off. The other waitresses were nice but we won't be back.