“Should do better”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Booked a table here as we were going to the Citz and they do a 15% discount if you show your tickets. On arrival there was no-one visible to greet us. The waiter who noticed us served us in a chaotic manner. He did not know what was on the set menu and was rambling in a flustered way. The starter we had - a shared antipasti - was presented with flair and tasted excellent. The pasta main was overcooked and the sauce was bland. This place may be a great spot for a bite during the day but I would not recommend it for dinner. I found the experience a bit soulless.

There are newer reviews for Cookie

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We were lucky enough to get a last minute booking for this gem of a place. Arrived at 8 to be told that our table wasn't ready, as the previous booking was late to arrive, and were still finishing their puddings. Didn't mind though, as our waitress was so lovely and straightaway offered to arrange money off the bill for the inconvenience. After a few minutes, we were seated and settled. The staff knew their food and wines, explained everything beautifully, and made great recommendations. The service was speedy and attentive, but not over-bearing. The food was, honestly, wonderful. Our party had a range of starters - all great. Try the chicken pâté or pigeon - yum... The mains of sea bass with herb risotto, venison with mustard mash, and chicken supreme were all exquisite. Puds - Amaretti bonnet and the chocolate and pistachio cake were unforgettable. Uncomplicated, just beautiful flavours and well presented. Even my fussy father-in-law was impressed, and that's saying something! A lovely, chilled-out restaurant that we'll definately be returning to. Thank you Cookie!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Well well! We went to this restaurant as part of a group for an event called Chef Wars. This event pitched 3 local and clearly very talented chefs against each other in a do or die battle for supremecy (Muahaha). Consisting of 2 heats (main and dessert) we, the lucky participants, submitted our judgement of each dish (both written and numerical) for totalling at the end.

A unique experience! I will say that not all of the food was to my liking, but do not let that put you off, it must be impossible to cater for everyone's tastes in a set menu and, let's face it, you're getting fed wonderful other things. Yea, there were some truly outstanding dishes and the night was an absolute delight! A friendly, initmate and relaxed setting and a real talking point among friends. It also just occurred to me that such an event would be a ideal setting for a first date, should the opportunity arise, as you would have an immediate ice-breaker by discussing the food and your tastes!

It appeared to be a locked-in, Sunday-night-only event. And a popular one at that, so make sure you book with plenty of notice!

I'm giving this full marks on food even though there were dishes i didn't quite like purely for the great potential of the menu. In fairness, it was only 1 dessert i really didn't like and the chef was not to know i dislike aniseed! With a passion. Everything else was either good or brilliant!

We've already booked into the next one and at £20 per head (not including drinks) for 3 meals, it was most certainly a bargain! Although i do wonder if that could be my only real criticism. Although it is surely my own fault that i ate the lot, the portions for each course were pretty big considering we had to get through 3 of them! (so that's 3 mains and 3 desserts at normal size portions). I may have had trouble walking out. Thank god we're top of the food chain for I would never have escaped a predator that night!

Also worth mentioning is the restaurant in it's own right! I clocked a look at the normal menu while there and it looked delicious! If the quality of food comes out to the same standard as it did for the Chef Wars event, then i'd happily head back there for a normal meal. Will have to do that soon anyway. And thank you to the owner and staff for the light, jovial atmosphere. Their engagement and communication with the customers was the icing on what was already a great cake!

I've also marked down the outdoor seating a wee bit. Yes, there was outdoor seating. But be warned, my fellow diners, an October night in Glasgow is not an outdoor seating vibe. Very useful for smokers though ;)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been to Cookie a couple of times now and the food always blows me away. We always go for brunch and their eggs benedict hits the spot perfectly. It's a rather cool, arty kind of place with relaxed service (not slow, but also not London busy) and amazing food served fast so its still properly hot on arrival. The only place for brunch I think, just wish Cookie would open a place in London too, would be there every weekend!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went for dinner at "Cookie" last Saturday and enjoyed every minute of it. Attentive, professional service, great food, and a wonderful attention to detail in design and atmosphere. Will definitely go again!