“The food will blow you away - you're in for a treat...”
Review of Cookie - CLOSED

Cookie
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We were lucky enough to get a last minute booking for this gem of a place. Arrived at 8 to be told that our table wasn't ready, as the previous booking was late to arrive, and were still finishing their puddings. Didn't mind though, as our waitress was so lovely and straightaway offered to arrange money off the bill for the inconvenience. After a few minutes, we were seated and settled. The staff knew their food and wines, explained everything beautifully, and made great recommendations. The service was speedy and attentive, but not over-bearing. The food was, honestly, wonderful. Our party had a range of starters - all great. Try the chicken pâté or pigeon - yum... The mains of sea bass with herb risotto, venison with mustard mash, and chicken supreme were all exquisite. Puds - Amaretti bonnet and the chocolate and pistachio cake were unforgettable. Uncomplicated, just beautiful flavours and well presented. Even my fussy father-in-law was impressed, and that's saying something! A lovely, chilled-out restaurant that we'll definately be returning to. Thank you Cookie!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Well well! We went to this restaurant as part of a group for an event called Chef Wars. This event pitched 3 local and clearly very talented chefs against each other in a do or die battle for supremecy (Muahaha). Consisting of 2 heats (main and dessert) we, the lucky participants, submitted our judgement of each dish (both written and numerical) for totalling at the end.

A unique experience! I will say that not all of the food was to my liking, but do not let that put you off, it must be impossible to cater for everyone's tastes in a set menu and, let's face it, you're getting fed wonderful other things. Yea, there were some truly outstanding dishes and the night was an absolute delight! A friendly, initmate and relaxed setting and a real talking point among friends. It also just occurred to me that such an event would be a ideal setting for a first date, should the opportunity arise, as you would have an immediate ice-breaker by discussing the food and your tastes!

It appeared to be a locked-in, Sunday-night-only event. And a popular one at that, so make sure you book with plenty of notice!

I'm giving this full marks on food even though there were dishes i didn't quite like purely for the great potential of the menu. In fairness, it was only 1 dessert i really didn't like and the chef was not to know i dislike aniseed! With a passion. Everything else was either good or brilliant!

We've already booked into the next one and at £20 per head (not including drinks) for 3 meals, it was most certainly a bargain! Although i do wonder if that could be my only real criticism. Although it is surely my own fault that i ate the lot, the portions for each course were pretty big considering we had to get through 3 of them! (so that's 3 mains and 3 desserts at normal size portions). I may have had trouble walking out. Thank god we're top of the food chain for I would never have escaped a predator that night!

Also worth mentioning is the restaurant in it's own right! I clocked a look at the normal menu while there and it looked delicious! If the quality of food comes out to the same standard as it did for the Chef Wars event, then i'd happily head back there for a normal meal. Will have to do that soon anyway. And thank you to the owner and staff for the light, jovial atmosphere. Their engagement and communication with the customers was the icing on what was already a great cake!

I've also marked down the outdoor seating a wee bit. Yes, there was outdoor seating. But be warned, my fellow diners, an October night in Glasgow is not an outdoor seating vibe. Very useful for smokers though ;)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been to Cookie a couple of times now and the food always blows me away. We always go for brunch and their eggs benedict hits the spot perfectly. It's a rather cool, arty kind of place with relaxed service (not slow, but also not London busy) and amazing food served fast so its still properly hot on arrival. The only place for brunch I think, just wish Cookie would open a place in London too, would be there every weekend!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went for dinner at "Cookie" last Saturday and enjoyed every minute of it. Attentive, professional service, great food, and a wonderful attention to detail in design and atmosphere. Will definitely go again!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I live out in the countryside, and every so often, when in Glasgow (the big city!) I'd walk past Cookie, and be intrigued but what I could see of the interior; it looked stylish, laid-back and informal but with great, unique décor. The kitchen was open, and there were lovely loaves, bottles of excellent wines and nice cuts of meat on display also. But each time I was around - it was closed!

When the day finally came that we booked a table - my one worry was that I had built up my expectations to the point where disappointment was more or less a foregone conclusion: nothing could live up to what I was anticipating.

The welcome was friendly, the seats were comfy. The tables and chairs are rustic, and there aren't too many covers to make things seem cramped, but enough to give the place a nice buzz. We were well-looked after in terms of drinks, and any questions on the menu were explained by our knowledgable and enthusiastic waiter.

The menu is small, and changes regularly - the dishes are inventive, the produce well-sourced and the presentation reflects the care and style that has gone into the dish.

We've been back a few times now, and we're certainly going back again. Between us we've had too many dishes to remember with any precision, but the ones I CAN remember are the breast of wood pigeon, with black pudding and an apple sauce - tender, rare pigeon breast, which was nicely balanced by the flavours on the plate with it. The cheese board (I know - an odd choice to write about) is based on "choose three cheeses" from an impressive selection - not impressively large, but impressively well thought-out - and the dish deserves mention for the extra thought that raises it above the herd: the home-made chutney is delicious, but it's the addition of locally produced honeycomb that really sets this off.

The wine list is excellent, and reasonably-priced, there are some interesting beers too (Peroni Red Label) and the soft drinks are of the same quality.

It's not just à la carte evening meals: there is an excellent breakfast menu, good lunches, and throughout the day you can grab a seat and a snack - I popped in today (being in the city) and had a good coffee and a lovely slice of courgette cake.

Prices are reasonable, the staff are lovely and the food is great - what more could you want? Except perhaps Cookie's monthly photo competition: take a photo of your meal - post it on twitter or Facebook (tagging Cookie) and you could win a meal for two!