“Inventive and accomplished food in a unique venue”
Review of Cookie - CLOSED

Cookie
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I live out in the countryside, and every so often, when in Glasgow (the big city!) I'd walk past Cookie, and be intrigued but what I could see of the interior; it looked stylish, laid-back and informal but with great, unique décor. The kitchen was open, and there were lovely loaves, bottles of excellent wines and nice cuts of meat on display also. But each time I was around - it was closed!

When the day finally came that we booked a table - my one worry was that I had built up my expectations to the point where disappointment was more or less a foregone conclusion: nothing could live up to what I was anticipating.

The welcome was friendly, the seats were comfy. The tables and chairs are rustic, and there aren't too many covers to make things seem cramped, but enough to give the place a nice buzz. We were well-looked after in terms of drinks, and any questions on the menu were explained by our knowledgable and enthusiastic waiter.

The menu is small, and changes regularly - the dishes are inventive, the produce well-sourced and the presentation reflects the care and style that has gone into the dish.

We've been back a few times now, and we're certainly going back again. Between us we've had too many dishes to remember with any precision, but the ones I CAN remember are the breast of wood pigeon, with black pudding and an apple sauce - tender, rare pigeon breast, which was nicely balanced by the flavours on the plate with it. The cheese board (I know - an odd choice to write about) is based on "choose three cheeses" from an impressive selection - not impressively large, but impressively well thought-out - and the dish deserves mention for the extra thought that raises it above the herd: the home-made chutney is delicious, but it's the addition of locally produced honeycomb that really sets this off.

The wine list is excellent, and reasonably-priced, there are some interesting beers too (Peroni Red Label) and the soft drinks are of the same quality.

It's not just à la carte evening meals: there is an excellent breakfast menu, good lunches, and throughout the day you can grab a seat and a snack - I popped in today (being in the city) and had a good coffee and a lovely slice of courgette cake.

Prices are reasonable, the staff are lovely and the food is great - what more could you want? Except perhaps Cookie's monthly photo competition: take a photo of your meal - post it on twitter or Facebook (tagging Cookie) and you could win a meal for two!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have been here twice, once for their "chef wars" and once for dinner for 2. The staff were friendly and attentive to just the right degree without being overbearing. The table we sat at for dinner was close to the door, but despite this was not cold or draughty - something other restaurants in the area could learn from.

The food on the menu changes frequently (possibly weekly) so the menu is relatively short, but there was a wide variety of choices. We both had pigeon to start, mostly out of curiosity because neither of us had had it before, and both enjoyed it. I had lamb rump and shoulder and my partner had seafood stew for the main course. The food was beautifully presented, but I was a little disappointed that while the seafood stew was hot and steaming and came with a pile of bread on the side, the lamb was only just warm and the portion size was a bit small so I was still hungry afterwards. Having said that it was very tasty, and we both had room for home made puddings.

The chef wars visit was a real treat. A large group of us went (about 8). We were served three main courses and three puddings and asked to rate them all, with some of the comments being read out at the end and one of the 3 chefs being crowned the winner. This came at a cost of £20 a head - a complete bargain considering the quality and quantity of food we ate. There was also a wine selection matched to the dishes available but not being a wine drinker I didn't try this. A word of warning about chef wars - it will take up your whole evening (think about how long it takes to make, serve and eat 6 courses)! Don't make any other plans, just sit, eat, gossip and enjoy the chance to comment on the tasty and varied food.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We went to Cookie for an early supper. Table was booked for 6.15 as 5 of us could not be accommodated at 6.30. Our party was 4 adults and 1 child. We had an extremely warm welcome, particularly the child and the waitress explained that almost any of the food could be made suitable for kids. Good stuff. Our starters and mains arrived and were all lovely and served with a smile and some good chat. When we were asked about whether we wanted dessert, however, we were told that they needed the table back by 7.45 and told we should have been informed when we booked. We weren't. We did order desserts and agreed that the bill could come at the same time. Two of the desserts were raspberry Bakewell tarts. Unfortunately the chef had forgotten to put the jam in so they were tasty but slightly dry almond tarts. We did tell the waitress who apologised and said our raspberry pastilles which we took away with us would be refunded in cash. For five of us we figured that would be approx £4 maybe rounded up to a fiver. It felt a bit awkward hanging around for 10 mins after paying and the cash was not forthcoming. So we stood up and made to leave. The waitress stopped us as we left and gave me £1.50.
I absolutely appreciated that the chef forgot to add the raspberry to the tart and thought it was a fairish gesture to give us a free fruit pastille, but as I left clutching my £1.50 I couldn't help but feel slightly embarrassed. Maybe we should have been given our two desserts free instead? It is hard to explain, the food and service was really great until the end when we were rushed out with what felt like pocket money in my hand. I feel that if I were to go back, and I should, that I would feel a bit embarrassed, so may not.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Very friendly service, and a quirky menu, we stopped in one late morning. Nice coffe. Thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

If you've ever had reservations about having a Sunday Roast anywhere but your own home please try here, it was everything we hoped it would be.

1  Thank Moriarty78