“What a lovely breakfast............”
Review of Cup Tea Room - West End - CLOSED

Cup Tea Room - West End
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: Cup Tea Room is located at the top end of Byres Road. This is an Award Winning Tea Room
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We have just returned from the Cup Tea room in Byers road Glasgow having used a voucher for breakfast. Its one of two in the city and this was a lovely experience. The first thing I'm sure all customers notice is the very warm welcome your receive by the owner? manager? He sure knows how to meet and greet!. The breakfast/Brunch menu presented a good and varied choice and I went for the scrambled egg with bacon and sausage and a large pot of tea (they have a specialty tea menu too).The food came VERY well presented with the sausage and bacon cut into tiny pieces and mixed through the large portion of scrambled egg. This was all in a separate bowl and there were two slices of toast on another plate all ready to make a great meal. The friendliness, warm atmosphere, good background music and lovely food all added up to a great experience.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of having a light brunch in this lovely restaurant. We marvelled at the tiles in this lovely restaurant which added greatly to our experience. Our waitress gave us a history of the building which was an added bonus. It's the first time we've been given a menu for tea so afficianados would be spoiled for choice. My husband had the breakfast bowl which consisted of scrambled eggs, cut up sausage and bacon while I had scrumptious blueberry pancakes with a blueberry compote. In short, if you want a "greasy spoon" breakfast, go elsewhere. If you want a warm welcome, attentive service and decor which is truly beautiful, give Cup Tea Room a try!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My friend and I had a lovely afternoon at CUP on Monday. We booked a table last minute (about an hour before), we were advised that with bookings there is a 90 min turnaround, that wasn't an issue for us.

We arrived and were warmly greated and shown to our table, the table was a small one and we asked if we could move to a bigger table and this wasn't a problem at all. The waitress explanied about the afternoon tea when I casually mentioned I didn't like smoked salmon, I was imediately offered an alternative, humous & tomato! fantastic!

The tea arrived first with my timer (which I loved as I don't usually drink tea) I had a peach infusion, the smell was devine as was the taste, my friend ordered a coffee and was slightly jealous of my tea... it stayed hot till I finished the pot!

next arrived our gorgeous afternoon tea stack! WOW, it looked soo good that the table next to us ordered afternoon tea too! the sandwich part consisted of a tiny sliver of black bread (svelt?) with the smoked salmon & humous for me, wasn't too keen on this, next was a delicious oat cake with brie and grape stuff mmmm was soooo yummy, cucumber and cream cheese was next and then we saved the best till last, a goreous roll with cranberry and roast chicken it was really yummy I could've eaten another one!

Once we were finished our sandwiches out came hot scones, 2 fruit & 2 plain, these were the best scones I've had for a long time, the were crunchy on the outside and soft and crumbly on the inside, perfect in my opinion! next was the top plate with so much cake! 5 for each of us! we only managed 3! at no point were were rushed and we ended up being there for just about 2 hours! we did buy some cupcakes to go for other family members which were totally devine.

Well done CUP, attentive & friendly waitresses, good atmosphere, pleasant surroundings and great food. We are going to try your new place next!!! can't wait....

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I visited cup yesterday to treat my mum to a cake and tea. Despite only being a quick stop I was very impressed by the relaxed atmosphere and the friendly staff. We shared a carrot cake cupcake, which was very moist and light with delicious icing. As a huge carrot cake fan I was delighted! The waitresses recommendation of vanilla tea was also inspired. My mum was suitably impressed so thanks to all at cup!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I visited cup tea for breakfast recently and was left feeling disappointed. The formula for such a business model, I'm sure, is to do to simple things to a very high standard. Simple things like toast, cakes and sandwiches should surely be difficult to get wrong!
I ordered a pot of earl grey tea while I looked at the menu. The tea arrived with a kitchen timer to allow me to pour my tea at the optimum time. A bit of a gimmick and slightly patronizing too as most people can decide for themselves when their tea is brewed to their liking!
I couldn't help noticing on the menu there is a time limit set for customers who are having coffee and afternoon tea during busy times. I found this astonishing! there are gentler ways of cajoling your customers to pay up or to spend more money than to put it in bold print - maybe you get another kitchen timer!
I ordered the Great Tea Breakfast, which consisted of toast and a choice of condiments, I went for jam. After waiting for 10 minutes I was presented with two slices of bog standard shop bought, thin slices wholemeal bread that was very slightly toasted on one side and not at all the other. I sent it back and it returned a couple of minutes later, toasted. By this time the toast was brittle and snapped into several pieces as I tried to spread it with butter. The individual pot of jam had been stored in the fridge, which is totally unnecessary - the clue is in the name,"strawberry preserve". Ice cold jam and brittle, cheap toast, timers, time limits and long waits, all for the princely sum of £4.
Really disappointing. Think maybe the owners of CUP need to get back to basics and focus on giving their customers simple things to a very high standard, its not rocket science and smacks a bit of a business trading on its reputation and its location. Get the basics right before you start dictating to your customer when and for how long they can enjoy the tea that they are PAYING for.

1  Thank Diane241
Paul-Scotland, Owner at Cup Tea Room - West End, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to writet a review and give us a great big one star.

First of all I am sorry that you feel that the toast brought you out to write such a rambling review. I have go to say that I am deeply disappointed that we cannot get something as simple as toast right for you. The making and the service of your toast is truly unacceptable. For this I am really sorry. But my question to you.....does it warrant a terrible review?? Out of nearly 60 reviews you are only second person to write a terrible review. This is the challenge we have today with sites like tripadvisor, facebook etc. It is really down to an individuals perception and translation of scoring.

The rest of the review and the scoring of one point does concern me!! As you can see from our reviews in the past we work hard to deliver good food, quality service on a highly competitive Byres Road. At no time have we or should we be complacent.

With regards to your other points. Tea timers are there as a guide and you are free to pour your tea whenever you like. Most people in the UK use teabags at home and will take the tea out based on the colour. We have spent a lot of time getting the recipe right for our tea leaves in order that 4 minutes brings you a pot of tea at its optimum for drinking. On the other note of our time restriction. I do not know why you have even mentioned this as we only use this time limit to manage over busy times at the weekend when we have back to back bookings. 90 minutes is more than a fair time to offer and our customers asked to be given this information in advance!!

Clearly we do not have a fan! For this I am sorry but we will never be able to get all things right for everyone 100% of the time. Thanks for taking the time to visit us though.

Regards