“not bad”
Review of The Italian Bistro - CLOSED

The Italian Bistro
Cuisines: Italian, International, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“not bad”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

When we arrived we were greeted by a waitress who was on her way to attend to a table out doors so were told she would be with us in a second. When she came back she seemed confued when we asked for a table for two. When we got a table it was set for four people which was fine. They borught us some bread to have while we were deciding what to order which was lovely.
We decided on a pizza and pasta sharing main course and no starter. The food took a while but it was very very good so it was definetly worth the wait! On our way into the restaurant we found a leaflet which said 2 4 1 on pasta and pizza dishes which we presented to the lady (looked like a mangager/supervisor) that came over to our table, she told us to keep it untill the end which I found odd as she could have just taken it straight away. We also felt that we would not have been made aware of this deal unless we brought it up which I though was not very good.

What brought the over all rating down was the service - the restaurant was not that busy. Whenever we wanted something it was impossible to get anyones attention or to catch someones eye so i had to approach the waitress and ask them myself. It also took a very long time for them to come and take our payment or to clear our plates.

As I work in a restaurant myself I also thought some other areas could have been improved upon-
If customers are sitting at a table set for 4 people but there is only 2 of them then clear the extra cutlery away to give them more space and to aviod the table looking cluttered.
Also if there is water glasses on the table then surely it maks sense to offer cusomters water when they arrive?
If customers are not having starters then clear their starter cutlery away so as not to clutter the table, and the same with water glasses.
If possible give customers a pizza/steak knife (if they order pizza and a soup spoon if they order a pasta dish such as linguine/spaghetti etc.

Overall the food was excellent and if it hadnt been so great the overall scoring would be much lower.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Nakita2014

London, United Kingdom
“Poor service, warm wine and beware of the butter/balsamic dish.”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Be careful when passing the butter! The restaurant has placed small combined butter & balsamic oil dishes on the table. As they are black my wife didn't notice the balsamic oil which she spilt on to her white trousers! The response from the waitress was minimal.

The bottle of white wine was not cold. At £20 a bottle I really do wish that restaurants would pay much more attention to the temperature at which they serve their wines. It is not acceptable that ice buckets have to be used to chill the wine. Really strange that two extra glasses of wine were later served well chilled - I suspect that when fridges are restocked the bottles at the back are not brought to the front.

Service was indifferent and at the end of the evening I had to interrupt three waitresses chatting by the till in order to get their attention and pay the bill.

Food OK but will not be returning, I'm afraid.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Bob R
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“NICE ATMOSPHERE GOOD PRICE.”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Recently dined here with my family.The quality of the food varied depending on what dish purchased.Two of us ordered the chicken with mashed potato,black pudding cabbage and bacon.I can only say that this is one of the most favourable dishes I have ever tasted and the other person who ordered this agreed.My son got pizza which he said was nice.The other two got tagliatelle which they thought was mushy BUT OK.The prices were good and we got a 20 per cent discount by booking through 5 o clock website.The staff were pleasant but didn't seem very efficient as we had to ask for the desert menu and for more bread as these were not offered to us.The service was a bit slow but as I really enjoyed the food I would go back.

• Visited July 2014
bistroWestEnd, General Manager at The Italian Bistro, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your comments they have provided us with a training issue to which, we have now addressed.

We hope to see you again in the not so distant future and please be rest assured that the staff will look after you.

“Good chef”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Food is good, but the general appearance of the fabric and furnishing is poor. Toilets are not very nice.
Good chef. That's about it! Let down badly by the standard of accommodation

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Norma G
bistroWestEnd, General Manager at The Italian Bistro, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your comments. We do listen to all feedback with a view to correct were we have gone wrong.

We are so glad that you enjoyed the food and service here at the bistro.

We are currently looking at scheduling in some work at the bistro to spruce our surroundings over the course of the next few months. This does take a little time to organise so that ,our guests and staff are not affected.

We have had a full refit of our sister restaurant upstairs (Indian Platform) to which was completed only last month...

We hope to see you again very soon.

“Nice Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was my third visited to the Bistro but a first for my husband. We both thought the food was excellent and the portions were a good size (my husband said the Lasagne and side portion of homemade chips were fab). The service was of high standard which made the experience very enjoyable.

• Visited June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for you to take the time and effort of feedback with regards to your recent visit to us here at the bistro.

We hopefully will see you back again soon. On your next visit, feel free to ask for our loyalty card which, gives 20% of your billing when dining from the A La Carte menu.