“Still good....but service gone downhill!”
Review of Kember & Jones

Kember & Jones
Ranked #240 of 2,428 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: West End
Auchterarder, United Kingdom
“Still good....but service gone downhill!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I used to be a regular at K&J. No Saturday was complete without a coffee and a piece of one of the delicious cakes that they bake. Even their savoury food was excellent. A real foodies emporium. They got popular with good reviews etc so waiting for a table became the norm. I even had my first date with my future husband there, sharing an Italian platter.

So future husband and I were in Glasgow at the weekend and we decided to treat ourselves for lunch. There were 3 people in the queue before us so the queue wasnt too bad. They got seen to quickly so it was our turn to wait for a table. We noticed that the fridge had been taken out to provide more seating.

We waited for a total of 40 minutes. I had serious back pain from standing in the one spot and none of the staff looked us in the eye. Phil Kember obviously wasnt in the shop that day, nor was Claire Jones (yes I've been so frequently I know what they look like - PK even asked me where I bought my ski jacket from!). Any previous visits when I have outstayed my welcome (queue forming) - Phil would come up, clear the table and ask if we wanted anything else otherwise he would need the table. Which in the grand scheme of things is good practice and business sense. In those 40 mins we waited, there were loads of tables who had eaten and were just chatting away, oblivious to that fact were waiting for tables. The staff were oblivious that we had been waiting such a long time and they didnt want to know. I pointed out to my waitress what Phil Kember does..helps to clear tables but she just smiled and walked away. When we finally got a table, there was only 2 couples waiting for tables. A lot of people came in and left because of the queuing.

The coffee I ordered was lukewarm and cloudy. The food ok but nowhere near as spectacular as it used to be but maybe because Phil and Claire werent there that day, the standards were seeriously slipping.

I'll probably return but not in the same hurry!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Fiona186534

“Join the queue”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

You might have to queue for a table but not without reason. The quality of the food is worth the wait. Not a limitless choice on the menu but there is an excellent selection of salads, sandwiches, tarts and sharing plates, with daily specials which are definitely worth checking out! Would recommend even just popping in for coffee and cake. The cakes are truly fabulous! It's not the cheapest option for food in the west end, but it does rank as one of the best in my humble opinion.

• Visited February 2013
“wonderful food”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

lovely food, great portions and cakes are amazing. Always busy at lunchtimes - best to go early or you will need to queue.

Visited November 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A must when visiting the West End”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Byres Road is full of great places to eat & drink. But this is the best of the best, so much so you will want to pat yourself on the back for being so clever. The staff are friendly. The food is delicious & inventive, & the atmosphere is west end cool. Be prepared to queue...well worth the effort.
Great range of books too!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank David V
“Being made to feel like a nuisance!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I popped in for a bowl of soup and som tea on this cold rainy day. We were greeted warmly at the door but the service went downhill from there. After waiting around for ten minutes to be served and watching 3 waitresses deciding where to put a stack of paper bags we asked for our soup and said we were in a rush. To this the waitress rolled her eyes and muttered 'ok'...then proceeded to take a further 10 minutes to ladle soup into a bowl and carry it upstairs. The plate was slammed abruptly to my left (not even on front of me) and I wasn't asked if I wanted pepper or some bread. Shocking. There was no check back and in the time I consumed my soup no waitress appeared to assist the other 7 tables upstairs. Quite frankly - they just don't care.

1 Thank Sophieemcneill