“Average Pub Food”

Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We went here as a family for Mother's Day. When I booked I was told their lunch menu was on til 5 or a la carte. When we got there we were only given the main menu , said to the girl about the lunch menu and she said , lunch menu was only on til 3 , we'd been given wrong info. She eventually gave us it but it wasn't really different from the main menu.Prices are not cheap apart from the kids menu which was reasonable , and the food was pretty average not restaurant quality . It is mainly student types that go here so the basic decor and pub food , but not the prices would suit them. Will not rush back , 6/10 .

Velvet E, Social Media Admin at Velvet Elvis, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Hi Gillian. Firstly, there was clearly some confusion over the menu, so we're sorry for causing you any difficulty. We're also disappointed that the food wasn't to your liking or expected standard, particularly as we usually hear the opposite. Despite the saying 'You can't please all of the people all of the time', we still try and don't like not being able to.

Velvet Elvis is not a 'student pub' and the majority of our clients are outside that demographic, but we do count some among our many regulars. With regards to the decor, we wanted to retain the amazing original features which despite being basic, makes us just that little bit different.

I hope that if you do come again you will have a better experience, enjoy the atmosphere and of course, the food. Thank you for your comments and review.

There are newer reviews for Velvet Elvis

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Burgers, fish n chips, steak and other things. Was ok, not busy so not sure why service was so slow and some of the sides were missing. Alcohol far far too expensive - this is not an up market city centre establishment so no idea why the prices are so ridiculous for not so great wine !
The menu is ok - they make a big deal of sourcing local produce but I wasn't impressed. The kedgeree was in fact the best thing on the menu. Puddings consisted of only 2 .....again.not sure why.
The bill came with the addition of a beer we hadn't ordered at £4.50..........
Ok for an average meal if you don't mint paying a bit much for what you get, however won't be back u less things improve a bit, I think there are probably better places in Dumbarton road that deserve a visit.
Not great value for money, not great produce.

Velvet E, Social Media Admin at Velvet Elvis, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Hi ges000,
Thanks for your comments and review.

Well firstly, we are naturally disappointed that we did not come up to your expectations. When the overall opinion of our establishment is above average, we don't like getting it wrong. So for any inconvenience your experience caused, we are of course sorry.

The price of alcohol has been addressed several times in recent reviews, so I won't repeat it all again. Suffice it to say we do provide a friendly, pleasant atmosphere as well as other special events which we hope adds value to our customers' drinking and dining experience. The prices you pay in any pub/restaurant reflect not only the cost of the product itself, but the service provided and the ambiance of the establishment.

As for your comments on the menu, we have brought out a revamped version since your visit which we hope provides a broader choice for customers. Indeed, since a change of management at the end of last year, we are actively looking for ways to improve all of our services wherever possible. The main reason we now monitor TripAdvisor where previously we did not, is to take on board any reasonable criticism posted here and use it to make positive changes if necessary.

I hope that if you do return, you will find your experience a better one than before.

Thank you.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is my local and I love it. Fantastic conversion of and old Partick butchers it has such a fun atmosphere. The food is pub grub really but it's really good pub grub.

Menus are served inside old records its fun! There's a duke box too although not the best selection.

I'd love VE to lower its drink prices a bit but apart from that its a great night out with friends.

Velvet E, Social Media Admin at Velvet Elvis, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Fezza R,

Thanks for the positive comments, it's nice to hear from a regular! Our pub grub is getting good feedback, particularly the new menu, so hopefully it will remain to your taste.

As for drinks prices, it is something I can pass on to management but I'm not sure it's something that can be addressed to the customers' satisfaction. All I can say is that we hope that atmosphere, quirkiness and fun environment make it worth spending time with friends here.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've been going to this place since it opened, it's a nice enough, intimate place and much more inviting than most of the pubs on Dumbarton Rd. When I've eaten there, the food has always been good. The old jukebox full of classic 45s is an attraction too.

But... The main thing I balk at is the price of the drinks. It's now over nine quid for a pint and a small glass of wine. In Partick. They can rarely serve a full pint either, and at that price, I expect my pint full, not looking like someone's had a good swig out of it.

The other complaint I have is the layout of the gent's toilets, if someone opens the door then anyone on their way into the ladies can see all the action at the urinals. Nice.

Dear Treehorn3624360,
Thanks for the comments, both good and critical.

Re drinks prices, it is a concern expressed by another poster I answered a few moments ago and is a bugbear of all drinkers, irrespective of location. I hope that you can consider the good atmosphere we've created here as something worth paying for. We are also providing additional value for patrons by having entertainment such as open mic nights, as well as quiz evenings where both beer and cash can be won.

I will also pass on your concerns re the pint measure, as that speaks directly to your concerns about value for money. As for the gents toilets, I can't guarantee that anything can be done re the layout due to the cost involved, but I imagine people seeing into them wasn't a concern for whatever the butcher used it for ;)

Thanks again!

Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Probably my fav place in Glasgow. Excellent food. Exciting and seasonal menu, great service and nice quirky atmosphere.

The fish and chips are amazing, as is the home made ketchup.

Lunch menu is amazing value. Around a tenner for two courses that will look and taste like they should have been 2-3 times the price.

Couldn't recommend more