“Absolutely delicious.......”

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely delicious.......”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I dine here on a fairly regular basis and have never been let down by the food on offer . Granted the place is essentially a fitted out warehouse unit will very little in the way of ambience anytime of the day but the service and selection of traditional dishes more than makes up for this.

Reguarding the comments from others about the chinese menu not being available in english I believe is something that should be looked at although I do remember several years ago they did have the westernised and traditional meals in the one big steel book binder style menu with photo's of every meal . (It was very heavy)

Imo demand was probably too low for them to continue with an english traditional menu although I do know there is a large laminated sheet with photo's of most if not all their dim sums which is what they are famous for .

As far as keeping the chinese diners in the centre, I think that could be down to the size of your group. If you look closely the centre tables seat 10-12 with the ones on the left which seats 2-4 or 4-6 . I have been many times where there was no evidence of segregation whatsoever . It's all about the group count .

Remember my 4 rating is based on food and service of this establishment . In many ways SeeWoo is similar to casual dining restaurants in HongKong with a wide open area , high ceilings and has a canteen like feel to it as mentioned by another reviewer which is not what everyone is looking for .

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Kenneth C

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and sterile”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We often use the SeeWoo supermarket to stock up on our asian foodstuffs and have often been tempted to try the restaurant of the same name next door.

Finally we just did..and wow was it disappointing.

The place is cavernous and reminds me more of a work canteen than a restaurant, very sterile and uninviting.

We were not given a drinks list...even though they do have a drinks list menu.

The food was underwhelming...the standard of a cheap chinese takeout that you wouldn't try again, never mind one that was set up as a formal restaurant.

Prices were OK

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank josefk68
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great if your Chinese”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I've been to Seewoo three times this year for food with different friends. The first two times I've been I've been with white friends, sat in the left hand corner of the restaurant by the window and given a very limited menu. Food was ok, that's all I could say about it, it was verging on cold when served both times as well. Both times it was very noticable that the Chinese were sat in the middle of the restaurant and all the white people in the left hand side behind a barrier thing.

Third time I went with a friend who is Chinese and two white friends. I was interested to see where we would be sat. Still in the left hand side by the window away from the Chinese centre of the restaurant. My friend spoke to the waiter in Cantonese and arranged for a selection of food to be brought out. It was the best food I've eaten in there, massive selection of food was brought out from the Chinese set menu plus a few extras ordered by my friend.

An American businessman at another table with 3 other white men came over and spoke to us about feeling segregated and insulted at only being offered a English set menu and said when he mentioned this to the waiter, he was fobbed off. He said why couldn't they translate the Chinese menu (which is a lot bigger) or at least offer white people the same food?

I think it's rude, racist and I will not be going to Seewoo again. I can't think of another restaurant where you get separated by race. Great restaurant if you are Chinese and can get the proper menu and service. Otherwise do not bother going - go to China Town or Asia Style where at least you'll get treated with a bit of respect/decency.

Maybe I'm naive and there is some sort of superstition or something but it looks like racial segregation to me and for that I won't return.

Plus they have the same love ballads on repeat play each time - not great!

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Miss_Kitten
Lennoxtown, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Chinese Food in an Aircraft Hanger”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

As soon as we walked in, we were shunted off to the partioned-off side of the restaurant for "non-Chinese" diners. Our menues were not the same as those of the Chinese diners. When I asked about this I was told by our surly waiter that the items on that menue, like ducks feet, are things that you wouldn't want to order anyway! Wouldn't it have been nice if we could have decided for ourselves as to whether or not we would have liked to have tried some of those items!
The food choosen from our over-priced menue was good, but there was nothing unique or exceptional about it.
I had dined there previously for Dim Sum. For that, we got to sit in the "Chinese section", and the food and service was much better.
If your not Chinese, you may want to choose another place for dinner.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank William63_13
“Very poor service”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I went to the restaurant for dinner. Whilst the food was good the service was terrible.

Half way through our meal we asked the waitress for soup. Two minutes later the manager came over and, without any provocation, demanded to know why we hadn't ordered the soup when we first came in. He was very aggressive and his manner completely ruined the meal.

Whilst the food was perfectly good the attitude of the manager was unbelievable (easily the worst service I have experienced) and I would avoid the restaurant in the future

2 Thank Sfuller1