“Pre Theatre” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Italian Caffe

The Italian Caffe
Ranked #246 of 2,387 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Glasgow's first enoteca, The Italian Caffe is situated right in the very centre of Merchant City, offering fine dining and fine wines in a sleek and contemporary atmosphere. Intended to be a bit of a home from home, The Italian Caffe may be modern and upmarket but it's nonetheless cosy and welcoming, a place to relax and unwind after a hard day in the office. Take your pick from comfortable deep green banquettes, window side seating or a perch at the bar and settle in for an evening of chilled indulgence courtesy of your choice from The Italian Caffe's fifty-odd excellent and carefully chosen wines, both Italian and international. And though those fantastic wines form the backbone of the enoteca approach don't think for a moment that food has been neglected.
Oldham
“Pre Theatre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had three dishes each from the pre Theatre menu including the small pizza, calamari, pork cheeks, aubergine and linguine. They were all very good indeed as was the service and the price. My only gripe is the size of the table. As we were at a table for two by the time the food came there were water and wine glasses plus a water jug on the table; there just isn't enough room. However it won't stop me going back for another visit as the food is very good.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Great place ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Just dined here and have to say the food is superb. Had the set 3 dish meal with a glass of prosecco. Great value and very tasty food. Can defo recommend the Italian sausage pizza. This place is somewhere I would dine again next time in the area.

Glasgow
“Very poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went here after hearing good feedback from others. We where a party of four and shown to a booth and given some menus including a lunch menu even though we where there at 8pm. We waited at least fifteen minutes for our order to be taken as the young waitress who had shown us to our table decided to take an order from other people who had arrived after us in the next booth. We decided to go for the set menu of 12 small plates to share and try the different dishes on offer. Instead of staggering the food order she brought out all 12 plates at once one of which we did not order but we did not cause a fuss, no room on the small table to move so we had to get her to take the water jug away to make at least some room, the plates where not very hot so due to the amount of food it was getting cold. Most of the food was to a very good standard, the crab risotto was excellent but the Italian sausage pizza was poor. After we had finished we sat for at least 20 minutes or so waiting for the plates to be cleared, not brilliant when you are trying to relax with a glass of wine. I always give a place a second chance so I will be back as most of the food was nice, but they really need to get there staff sorted out with some training.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank novachess
Ayr
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Went here with friends before we went to see Rod Stewart. Great service, the place is spotless and the food is very very good. Four of us had 11 dishes between us and the were all lovely. Small portions, but that the whole idea. Highlights were Cod risotto, pork cheeks (amazing) and the sausage and bean stew. Will definately return the next time we're in Glasgow.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Best by any standard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

This place got me excited by their website weeks (6 weeks to be precise) before I was due to be in Glasgow. We got a recommendation from a friend and I had a quick look on their site.... Well, it was more like a quick look every week for 6 weeks. On the day, I decided to only have lunch and ready myself for a feast. I even decided not to drink that much before the meal.
To say the least, I was not disappointed. There were 3 of us and we were given a 6 people table. At first I didn't understand the logic behind that but I guess it was a Friday, not that packed and they probably saw the lust or hunger in my eyes. I wanted everything on the menu. At this point, I had memorised the menu and knew exactly what I wanted. Alas, there was a special menu on the table. Doooh. That totally threw things off balance. I was lost. I wanted what I set out to get PLUS the stuff on the special menu.
At the end, I decided to go for the oysters then the veal then the spicy sausage then the calamari. Then I almost fainted. You'd think "Yep, he's done, somebody put a fork on him". Nope, I finished off with dessert.
On the day, I was proud to say I was a porker of note.
It was totally worth it and I will definitely be going back there again but for now, it's gym time :)

• Visited September 2013