“Always terrific”

Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Glasgow's first enoteca, The Italian Caffe is situated right in the very centre of Merchant City, offering fine dining and fine wines in a sleek and contemporary atmosphere. Intended to be a bit of a home from home, The Italian Caffe may be modern and upmarket but it's nonetheless cosy and welcoming, a place to relax and unwind after a hard day in the office. Take your pick from comfortable deep green banquettes, window side seating or a perch at the bar and settle in for an evening of chilled indulgence courtesy of your choice from The Italian Caffe's fifty-odd excellent and carefully chosen wines, both Italian and international. And though those fantastic wines form the backbone of the enoteca approach don't think for a moment that food has been neglected.
Glasgow
“Always terrific”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Top quality food, vast wine selection. Always a terrific buzz in the Caffe and the staff are always friendly and efficient. Always a restaurant I recommend. Small niggle is that they don't allow tips on cards which left me having to run across to merchant square to get cash out. There was no way I wasn't tipping- not much of a hassle, just left me a bit embarrassed at having no cash for a tip.
Keep up the good work!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Spot on!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Had a great lunch here this week with a client. They do an excellent piccoli piatti a la carte menu - a kind of Italian tapas except they're larger in size than the Spanish equivilent and there's a set price for two or three per person. I had a delicious spicy Italian sausage linguini, wonderful fish cakes in a creamy spinach sauce and skewed chicken plus a glass of prosecco - sensible prices and all tasting excellent! Service just fine - not too fast/not too slow. Pleasant space - warm & wlecoming on a freezing cold, icy winter's day.

1 Thank MartinC132
Paul S, Owner at The Italian Caffe, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hi Martin,

Thanks to you and your client for joining us. It always good to hear we get things right on the food as well as the service and overall experience. I hope your client was also pleased. Unfortunately we are in for more icy days in Glasgow but maybe that's a good thing if it gets you popping in.

We open from 10.30 in the morning now. Next time you are in town early come by and try our new gourmet sandwich menu.

Hope to see you again soon.

Glasgow
“Average i'm afraid”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Its a typical pop up italian in the ever increasing mass market of italians in Scotland and especially in Scotland. Nothing was particularly bad but nothing was very good either i'm afraid. I love italian and for me you should try la mora in Finnieston or Parmagiona on Gt Western Road for real Italian food. I'll try it again but wont hold my breath. Sorry Caffe but thats my thoughts.

Visited June 2012
Paul S, Owner at The Italian Caffe, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the reviewl. I'm sorry you feel that way about your experience with my restaurant.

The restaurant in my opinion is not very typical because the whole theme isn't widely adopted by Italian restaurants - when I started the Italian Caffe we were the only Enoteca in the West of Scotland. Enotecas in Scotland in general are still hard to find.

There are still more differences to be found in our tapas style and small plates menus that are a permanent part of the variety of dishes on offer.

As far as quality of food goes we use the finest. A lot of my produce comes from suppliers in London because it's the best.

All in all I do realise we might not have impressed you on your visit. I do hope that my points have shown you that this restaurant is far from average too.

Please get in touch with me so we can chat about this further.

Clydebank, United Kingdom
“Dinner with friends”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was our first time here and it will definitely not be the last. We chose from the small plates menu which we each chose three plates each. I have had Spanish Tapas before but never Italian and could not believe the size of the portions. No wonder you only choose three! The portions were enormous and we all struggled to finish. We had the sharing meat platter to start with bread which was fabulous too. The food here is wonderful and judging by how busy it was for a Wednesday night we are not the only ones who think so.

Paul S, Owner at The Italian Caffe, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hi Valerie,

Thank you for all the wonderful points you have made about the restaurant. I'm pleased that we have converted you into a regular customer!

We do try to tick all the boxes for our customers and I'm pleased we managed to deliver on that for you.

See you soon,

Paul.
London, United Kingdom
“An unexpected find”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stumbled on this restaurant having walked past earlier, we went back for a meal. The staff were busy and bit underwhelming in the beginning, but once we were settled in and ordered all went well. Enjoyed the 'tapas' style which fitted in with our needs for a quicker meal. You do need a couple of dishes per person. Great location and interior.

Paul S, Owner at The Italian Caffe, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hi KML031,

Thank you for coming in to dine with us and for taking the time to leave us a review.

Our staff members are very good and I'm sorry they came across as underwhelming. That being said I am glad when you settled they showed how they really are with all of our customers. They are a good team.

Thanks again for the review, and I hope we see you again soon.