“A Great Find”

Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Glasgow's first enoteca, The Italian Caffe is situated right in the very centre of Merchant City, offering fine dining and fine wines in a sleek and contemporary atmosphere. Intended to be a bit of a home from home, The Italian Caffe may be modern and upmarket but it's nonetheless cosy and welcoming, a place to relax and unwind after a hard day in the office. Take your pick from comfortable deep green banquettes, window side seating or a perch at the bar and settle in for an evening of chilled indulgence courtesy of your choice from The Italian Caffe's fifty-odd excellent and carefully chosen wines, both Italian and international. And though those fantastic wines form the backbone of the enoteca approach don't think for a moment that food has been neglected.
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Saw an advert for it a week ago but actually just came upon it by chance and were so glad we did. Lovely interior decor and helpful staff who explained the pre theatre menu to us - 3 courses and a glass of wine for £14.95. Lots of choices at each course and they are slightly smaller than main course size but in no way small portions and all three dishes served at once, like tapas. We therefore had six different plates in front of us and enjoyed sampling them all, every one beautifully cooked and very tasty. Would definitely return.

Paul S, Owner at The Italian Caffe, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Hi Carol,

Thank you for coming by after seeing our advert. Thank you for highlighting the value of the 3 course tapas and wine deal. A lot of people don't realise how good the portion sizes are so thanks for pointing that out.

I hope to see you again soon and please try our sister restaurant the Italian Kitchen sometime too.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We dined at the weekend & had a fantastic night. The restaurant is simply but stylishly decorated. The menu has many many options - the food is beautiful. I love the small plates idea. The service was great too the waiting team were friendly, knowledgeable & very helpful. I highly recommended this restaurant & I definitely will be back!

Paul S, Owner at The Italian Caffe, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Hi Momo,

Thank you for leaving my restaurant a reivew. I'm pleased that you found it all to your liking and thank you also for pointing out the staff service. I'll let them know they've done a good job.

When you next stop by let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Five of us visited for a birthday dinner, and it was a last minute booking so we didn't expect the best table, but think the view to the toilet and cloakroom did affect overall experience.. Don't know how this could be avoided . Staff were attentive enough and place was full and buzzing with atmosphere albeit the background music could not be heard at all as the noise of diners took over, which is good but does get a bit noisy after a while.. Food was good, but not great.. Eaten here 3 times now and this was not the best of our visits as king prawns didn't seem that fresh..bit tough and very very small to be king prawns.. All 5 of us agreed it was nice but lacking something special.. Not sure what. But for nearly £200 we felt slightly deflated when we left as I wanted to give it the wow factor but just couldn't.. Sorry.. Desserts and coffee were to me the best part.. Lovely place though and good concept..

Paul S, Owner at The Italian Caffe, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Hello Jacdoll,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It seems you had a mixed experience on the night. I want to apologise if your meal wasn't up to the standard you expected. I'll take measures with your feedback to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The Italian Caffe is an Italian eatery, people chatting and a hustle and bustle is part of the experience. There's not too much we can do about that but it does show people are enjoying themnselves.

Maybe you could email the caffe for my attention? I would like to chat with you on what you felt was missing - the wow factor - so I can perhaps resolve this for future group bookings. (info@italiancaffe.co.uk)

Thank you, I do hope we get another chance to try and wow you.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Visited here by chance as traffic prevented us getting to our planned restaurant,allowing in time for a show at the SECC. Pre theatre dinner consisted of a choice of 3 "small plates" served by friendly helpful staff. There was a good choice of dishes and "small" was still plenty to satisfy. Not bad value. Perhaps a bit lacking in atmosphere, but it was early with not many tables filled. Overall enjoyable.

Paul S, Owner at The Italian Caffe, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Hello Ford,

Thanks for taking the time to leave the Caffe a review.

Pleased to read it was a positive visit, we really try to do well by our customers and I'm glad to see your visit was no different. Thanks for pointing out the portion sizes too.

Hope you enjoyed the show.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have to say I took a chance on this place. It's sister restaurant the Italian Kitchen did not impress me much a year or so ago, but this wee gem was a different story. To start with the staff are amazingly friendly but not in an over the top approach. Immediately as you come in you are acknowledged and will be attended to. I was really impressed with the knowledge the waiter had of the wine and allowed us to sample a couple of the wines before we settled on a bottle (ok they were also sold by the glass but still not many places would do that). We went for a Saturday lunch and the food was great. It is Tapas style but you can have main course portions if you want. The specials were amazingly (scallops with goats cheese and brioche and lamb tagine to name a few). It is reassuring that there are still some places that do their customers proud on a busy Saturday. The atmosphere is relaxed but very elegant at the sae time - it's worth going to and I will go back!

Paul S, Owner at The Italian Caffe, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Hi Toptravels,

Thank you for the review. I am sorry and still interested to find out why the Italian Kitchen didn't do so well in your opinion.

That being said I'm glad it didn't put you off in the end from trying the Italian Caffe out. It seems we did very well by you and this is the standard I always aim for when customers dine with us.

See you again soon,