“Worst experience ever!”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Anderston
Description: The Shandon Belles is a quirky and cosy bistro on Argyle street, conveniently located downstairs from Two Fat Ladies at The Buttery and only a stone's throw from the Marriot, Hilton and Hallmark hotels. Comfortable corners, stained glass and exposed brickwork add real character to the welcoming decor, creating a warm delightful ambience. Specialising in quality, hearty fare using great Scottish ingredients, our set menu offers superb value for money with seasonal choices to suit every palate. Daily specials, a competitively priced wine list, and a sumptuous cocktail menu, makes the Shandon Belles one dining experience you won't want to miss!
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Going to see a show , after seeing good ratings,enterered the place and thought how lovely and homely it was.
Chilli and nachos-home made nachos burnt and greasy-chilli-mince not cooked-didnt eat.
Both had fish and chips-fish jelly like inside so sent back after eating some of it.re ordered
Friend had pepper stuffed with couscous-i had the special 6oz steak in peppercorn sauce.
Even though i had a steak knife i couldnt cut through the small thin steak.The sauce was watery and like something frm a packet.
My friends was even worse the pepper stuffed with couscous was exactly that a uncooked pepper stuffed with a substance they said was couscous but it was a very poor excuse for it.
They didnt charge for food when bill came but did for drinks.
Both of us arrived at theatre and ran for the toilets and threw up.
Ive been up all night with the runs-Will never ever go back or reccomend.Enter at your own risk.
I have never complained like this in my life.

3  Thank louiseGlasgow
There are newer reviews for Shandon Belles

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Went for a late lunch here as a party of six. I'd been a few times before and thought it was a reasonably priced restaurant that offered decent food and service. The food this time was disappointing and not worth it. Broccoli Soup was tasteless. I had chicken which was stuffed with feta, it was dry and the stuffing just didn't work. Others had fish tempura which was greasy looking with batter that looked and tasted very ordinary. The chips looked ad if they came straight out of farmfoods. Baileys cheesecake was small and not tasting of Baileys, had zero effort at presentation. The rhubarb and ginger crumble was apparently was apparently bitter.
The upside was the cab sav was really good and at £15 a bottle great value for money.
I am sorry to say that i won't go back here. Can't understand why its not as good as it used to be. Perhaps a change of kitchen staff.

3  Thank borisbab
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I have eaten in both the Shandon & The Buttery in the past. My husband's birthday today so I treated him to lunch at the Shandon. I like the restaurant, the quirkiness with all the interesting Knick-Knacks. Service was good despite the fact there was just one waiter in attendance.
My husband enjoyed his choice for lunch, I was not so fortunate having ordered the cous cous stuffed pepper. The pepper was hardly cooked, really just warm, tough and unappetising.
The waiter readily took the meal away and another was prepared. Meanwhile my husband was eating alone while I waited a good 10 mins for my replacement meal. Stuffed peppers are not difficult to cook so I'm surprised the chef had a problem with it. Possibly an inexperienced chef?
In my experience when I meal is sent back to the kitchen the restaurant do there best to make amends with a gesture of some sort. This was not the case. All in all I have to say we were disappointed by this lunch. There is a lot of competition out there, I suggest The Shandon Belles
smarten up their act. Consequently I am down rating!

2  Thank GlasgowReneef
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Been here a few times now with family,teenagers and always enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.
The service was great,very professional.Three courses for £18 and the food was lovely.Nice bottle of wine as well which was suggested on the back of the menu which was very helpful.The space is much smaller than the larger restaurant up stairs but it still works well and we will be back.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Had a couple of days in Glasgow recently and looking for some where decent to eat stumbled across Shandon Belles. Situated beneath another local food landmark (2 Fat ladies at the Buttery), the location is steeped in local food history.

I was quite tired so just opted for the main course which I picked from the specials board, rather than go for the menu items such as Supreme Of Chicken stuffed with Feta on a Tomato Mash with a Lemon and Black Olive dressing.

So Ling with Cheesy Mash and Soft Herbs arrived and boy, was I in for a treat. Never had Ling before, wish I had as it was beautiful, the Cheesy Mash was a lovely compliment with the Soft Herb dressing, lightly cutting through the rich flavours.

The service was great, unfussy but attentive, if you like your history ask for the book they have created with old menus and pictures, imagine Steak Tartare being more expensive than Lobster, and Tongue and Sweetbread on the menu.

All in all a fantastic evening and one restaurant I shall re-visit when time allows. Thanks for making my trip to Glasgow such an enjoyable one.