“FIRST WEEK FATIGUE?”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Anderston
Description: The Shandon Belles is a quirky and cosy bistro on Argyle street, conveniently located downstairs from Two Fat Ladies at The Buttery and only a stone's throw from the Marriot, Hilton and Hallmark hotels. Comfortable corners, stained glass and exposed brickwork add real character to the welcoming decor, creating a warm delightful ambience. Specialising in quality, hearty fare using great Scottish ingredients, our set menu offers superb value for money with seasonal choices to suit every palate. Daily specials, a competitively priced wine list, and a sumptuous cocktail menu, makes the Shandon Belles one dining experience you won't want to miss!
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“FIRST WEEK FATIGUE?”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I haven't been here before but went with friends who had. The restaurant is the basement below 2 Fat Ladies at The Buttery. It's cosy and was pretty full when we arrived (maybe 30 covers in total). Staff were attentive but a little frosty. Menu was quite limited. We had 2 sirloin steaks, chicken on black pudding and salmon steak. It was all a bit dry. No sauce with the steaks and the 'chunky chips' seemed more like McCains. Although, to be fair to the waiter, after saying he didn't have any sauce or gravy for the steak, he did conjure some up.
The wine choice was limited although we did get the wine list (presumably from upstairs). So we ended up spending far more on drink than the food.

I would certainly give the place another try - we had a very enjoyable evening anyway.

• Visited January 2013

Glasgow
“Very cosy restaurant.”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch here today. It's a very cosy restaurant with very welcoming staff and good food. We both had the chicken supreme with Stornoway black pudding followed by Banana Chocolate Meringue. Both were delicious. There is little difference in price for lunch or pre theatre between here and Two Fat Ladies at The Buttery upstairs, however. For me, it wins hands down for food and particularly for ambience but, if you're on a budget or upstairs is full, this is a very good second best.

1 Thank fmck49
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Delightful”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

HIdden away in a quiet resedential area at the back of Argyll street sits this little gem of a place. On entering, I was taken aback with how nice it was inside. Quirkily decorated and very cozy without being too cramped. I'm not sure what the building used to be but it's obviously been converted as there are stained glass windows. It really adds to the character.

The complimentary bread was lovely - I'm not exactly sure what kind it was but it tasted a bit different. We both had the risotto for a starter and I was a bit daunted as it was such a big portion and I was planning on having 3 courses. It was lovely. I ordered the burger for my main and this is the only reason I'm not rating the restaurant excellent. It was quite dry and tasteless and the so called salsa that it was served with was absolutely nothing like any salsa I have ever seen or tasted - tasteless, watery and full of corguettes? The homemade chips however were very nice. My partners chicken main was also lovely and looking around the room the other mains also looked nice. Guess I just made a bad choice!

Coconunt parfait and banana chocolate merangue for dessert. Both lovely, a bit different and nice and light - perfect at the end of a big meal. The service was also paced very well - food neither served too fast or too slow with a really nice ambience throughout. I also love the fact that it's always a set price.

I can't wait to go back!

• Visited December 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Back again for another great meal.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have eaten here on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed. Food is great, service is excellent and its great value for money. Add a relaxed and comfortable setting and good friends (they didn't supply them) and it was yet another great night out.

We will be back again!

• Visited December 2012
Bath, United Kingdom
“Lovely evening!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Lovely evening, staff were polite, attentive and entertaining. Food was delicious, very affordable, lovely decor and quickly prepared - very worth a visit!