“Good but not great.....yet”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Stayed two nights at this new boutique hotel in Glasgow. First off, the location is fantastic!! Easy walking distance to all the major attractions, and shopping.

The room I stayed in was beautifully done. The decor was terrific, and every detail was thought out. I had zero complaints about the decor and accessories in the room.

The front desk attendants were ok. They weren't overly helpful or friendly, but they were alright.

The doorman was useless. Completely. Almost never remembered to open. the.door.

I had purchased the B&B rate, so breakfast was included. It was just a cold buffet, which didn't do much for me, but when I asked about porridge, they provided it happily and at no charge. In fact, the girls working in the breakfast room were the best part of the service experience. They were polite, helpful, and tried really hard to meet my every need.

But, and there is a but for me. The room just wasn't clean enough. In fact, the first day I was there, it wasn't really clean at all. The bathroom needed to be cleaned again, but I didn't get there until evening and I couldnt' be bothered. For a 5 star hotel, this should have been a done deal. It was not satisfactory.

The second day, the cleaning was much better (and that was without me having a chance to say anything).

They try really hard, with nice extras like Tunnocks cakes instead of just tea and coffee. They leave both still and sparkling water in the rooms in the evening. The toiletries are ok, but not special.

All in all, I would say that this hotel was more of a 4 star experience for me. I will stay there again, in hopes that once they iron out some of the service issue, it gets better and better.

The hotel has only been open a few months.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank brennee2004
Write a ReviewReviews (2,766)

Reviewed February 24, 2010

An amazing hotel well situated in centre of town. Beautiful rooms and amazing levels of service. I run a five star hotel in the North West of England and was interested to see how this hotel faired. It didnt disapoint from check in to check out. Will be my only place to stay in Glasgow from now on.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DJF67
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We spent a night at the hotel on a friday night en-route to a family party in Scotland. We were interested to see this place as we are big fans of their sister property- The Howard in Edinburgh- which has a special place in our hearts as we got married there. Some things reminded us that they were both in the same hotel group-the staff were great, very attentive but no hint of stuffiness and the quality of the food and rooms were fantastic. Although they dont have the butler system that works so well in the Howard they have a great doorman, George, who brings the same personal service when you check in that Fernando has made his trademark at the Howard They also seemed to copy one of the less good features of the Howard ;the hairdryers are awful, this one only managed cold air! You would think that the budget would have allowed for new hairdryers but this didnt seem to be the case. The style of this property is very different to The Howard, it is very modern and stylish with very good public areas and a more themed approach to the decor. My husband was born and bred in Glasgow and he tells me the location was not alwaysthat desirable but now seems to have been cleaned up and the style of decor with its red lantens and boudoir touches seemed to be a clever nod to the heritage of the location! The room was very nice and the bathroom was good quality. Our only concern was it was a bit dark and difficult to get the lighting to the level you could see anything. We had a quick dinner in the restaurant which we really enjoyed. Its already a popular Glasgow venue and the mix of restaurant and bar area worked really well. The food was fantastic and service good ( if a little quick)
The other reviews talk about the noise from the road but it wasnt a problem for us and our room was at the front of the hotel
All in all a lovely hotel and we will be back when the Spa area is fully opened

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank northants61
Reviewed February 22, 2010

This is simply the best hotel I have ever stayed at!!
From the moment you walk in you are treated like royalty! My bag was taken and placed in my room whilst I checked in which was a smooth process.
The 'classic wee room' was nothing but wee! It was huge with a great king size bed, large LCD TV (which had all channels working - a novelty in hotels these days), great mini bar (with complimentary tunnocks tea cakes) and it felt very fresh, new and clean. The marble bathroom is out of this world with under floor heating, deep bath and separate waterfall shower.
The restaurant is divine - we had both dinner and breakfast in the hotel and it was worth every penny.
This hotel is just fabulous!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank louisesinc
Reviewed February 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night during February. It is wonderful! We booked a deluxe room and it didn't disappoint. Marble from floor to ceiling in the bathroom with underfloor heating (just what you need on a cold morning), large shower and free standing large tub. The bed was super comfy and even although we faced onto the street there was very little noise.

The doorman cracked jokes every time we saw him which is a nice change from the formality of the usual 5 star places. Staff were attentive without being intrusive. Only had breakfast in the restaurant, which was great, as we had booked 2 fat ladies which was just a minutes walk away and as usual wonderful!

The only bad point is the coffee in the bar area!

We are frequenters of One Dev but to be honest this is less stuffy and a great location for wandering the city. We'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank littlescot
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I have been for two days in this stunning hotel with my girlfriend. Style is uncommon and atmosphere is great. Restaurant looks always busy and both food and service are first class.
My room was very comfortable and I would have never expected such a quality in the A / V systems.
It sounds strange but we felt excited by the stunning bathroom: dark marble everywhere even above the bath - never been in such a 'marble-room', there you feel like a king.

Hopefully the SPA will open soon.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and myself stayed over the xmas period , all i can say is we will be going again very soon . there are some hicups but nothing that would put us off , only hotel in Glasgow for us , At last a hotel Glasgow can be proud of .

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple