“Nice place for a treat”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at The Blythswood. There is a lovely ambience about the whole place. Food is very good, if a little expensive unless you're on a deal. The bar area is very nice, with a very extensive cocktail and drinks menu - the Malt Whisky choice is particularly good. The staff are very professional and polite - we both wanted cocktails which weren't on the menu (surprisingly, because we only wanted a long island iced tea and a bellini - both classics), but this was no problem to them.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LexMuir
Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I reserved a room at this hotel for two nights in late June as a special treat for my daughter celebrating her 21st birthday and we where not disappointed.

When we first arrived at the hotel we where greeted by a friendly doorman who made us feel very welcome and certainly gave a marvellous first impression of the hotel.

When we checked in we where told our room wasn't ready yet despite arriving 10 minutes after the 3 o'clock check in time. I had treatments booked in the spa so left our bags with the doorman who offered to put them in our room when it was ready.

We visited the spa which is like a completely different world. My daughter and I where concerned with it being an " upper class" hotel that the staff may be a bit snooty, how wrong we were. We where greeted by a young lady who couldn't do enough for us, very knowledgeable and helpful And even offered us a full tour of the spa, she told us her name was Victoria and if there was anything else she could help us with to let her know this made our experience truly personal. When we had finished our treatment (the best massage I've ever had) I went to the desk where I was offered products that had been used in my treatment by a girl who was very professional and wore a high bun ( didn't catch her name sorry) it did not feel like pushy sales like other spas I've visited and she was able answer any questions I had.

I was then shown to my room which was just perfect,it overlooked the square and the view was just beautiful. The bed again perfect and so comfortable.

Only downfall was breakfast which was considerably busy and the service wasn't quite what we had experienced the rest of our stay they could use more staff to cope with the busy demand. Also the room got very hot at night.

My daughter loved it and I would say although expensive it is definitely worth every penny, already looking for an excuse to return!!

Room Tip: Overlooking the square
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Margaret W
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

2nd visit to this hotel and even more satisfied. Came for my 21st and then again for a 2 night break. Excellent customer service. Brilliant breakfast, rooms very well maintained and clean. Spa is to die for although small very relaxing and ultisation of smells and lighting makes a big difference. The location is also very central yet peaceful and away from the main street noise. The hotel is excellent value and quality you certainly get what you pay for. Will be back already planning our next break to Glasgow

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jake S
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Set within a series of fine Georgian townhouses overlooking a private garden in a 100 year old square, it’s easy to imagine the impressive send off for the 1955 Monte Carlo rally, which started outside the doors of what’s now the Blythswood Square hotel. The hotel is the most stylish in the city centre, very popular with locals as well as visiting business people and tourists.

Blythswood Square is within walking distance of many Glasgow attractions, bars, restaurants and the best of the city’s excellent shopping. Within the hotel, there is a lively bar and a well reviewed restaurant. The bar is well known for cocktails but is also a must for whisky lovers. With 200 Scotches to choose from, you’ll never been short of options for a wee dram.

I stayed in a classic room which was compact but not cramped and featured a marble bathroom which could open onto the bedroom if you fancy soaking in a bath while watching TV. Service standards are good and when I struggled to get to grips with the TV, somebody was knocking on my door within five minutes to help. The comfortable rooms are furnished in a modern, unfussy style and there was a small welcome tray of chocolates in the room when I arrived.

The hotel’s spa includes a ‘thermal experience’ - a journey though an array of steam rooms, dry heat rooms, crystal steam room and large hydro pools. I had the entire place to myself when I took advantage of the free use for guests early in the morning. There is even an ice fountain if you want to rub ice on your body to cool off.

Breakfast was a combination of buffet and a la carte and included a bottle of Scotch by the urn of porridge if you fancy a shot to kick-start your day. I greatly appreciated that one of the set breakfasts was vegetarian, that’s a rare thing in even the best hotels.

Glasgow’s city centre is a little short on appealing hotels the Blythswood Square really stands head and shoulders above almost every other hotel in town.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Kali737
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Had a lovely spa afternoon at this classy hotel. The spa has got to be one of the nicest ever and my friend and I had a lovely time. We had the rasul experience which was great and finished off with a cocktail in the Salon upstairs. Lovely relaxed atmosphere - we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Karen F
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed for a couple of nights and was immediately impressed by the room which for £275.00 per night B&B basis, I should be ! Lovely large bed, good work table with plenty of plugs, well directed lights and widescreen TV. The bathroom was exceptional with large bath, good towels, washbasin with wide surround to lay out toiletries, walk-in power shower and wc that could be shut-off as required. My concern was that hotel heating was working overtime when Glasgow had a mini heatwave and the room a/c was unsatisfactory to cool the room. As a senior citizen with reducing mobility, I would have liked safety handles to make easy access for both the shower and bath. The food at the corporate event was very good and service also enthusiastic but breakfast in the main dining room disappointed. Two fried eggs with hard yolks, poor quality sausage, toast arriving too early, luke warm coffee, poor selection of pastries. Not good value at £16.50 for the Full Scottish. However, on balance I enjoyed my stay and would return.

Room Tip: With very good noise absorption from external roads and adjacent rooms, I suspect that all rooms are...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Gorgeous setting, well appointed room, helpful staff. Only quibble is that the room was not very well lit (in fact fairly dark). Otherwise among the best ever. Well located, in walking distance to almost everything.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple