“comfort, convenience, service”

Blythswood Square
Ranked #14 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“comfort, convenience, service”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We can thoroughly recommend this centrally based Glasgow city hotel. We were staying over three mid-week nights as part of a (60th) birthday celebration in May 2014. This had been booked many months in advance and I had the benefit of going in to the Blythswood to talk over the costs and the type of rooms likely to be available - readers might be advised that the on-line price might not be the final one and it might have some dividend to enquire further on the pricing offered nearer the time of the stay. However, the service everywhere in the hotel is very positive - the breakfast(s) are substantial with an excellent cold spread of cheeses, hams and fruits along with croissant and a variety of breads. The cooked breakfast menu has good variety to it. My wife loved the basement spa and although the tarrifs for the treatments are on the high side, special deals were available during our visit. The pool(s) and treatment rooms are very aromatic and very welcome, but I would imagine that they can get busy at weekends. We had a spacious room on the 5th level and had great lookouts to the city centre and beyond, while the hotel frontage looks out on to some verdent, well kept gardens in Blythswood Square that have benefitted from being railed off to avoid what had been mis-use in the past.
All in, this was certainly 5 star service and care, very apt for the occasion being celebrated.

Room Tip: High level room was good for us: suggest reviewing price/tarrifs with desk staff prior to booking (r...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Scotland
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I booked the Friday night square package as a treat for my mum. This includes a bottle of prose co, use of the spa and dinner, bed & breakfast. Blythswood is gorgeous and very impressive. The reception staff were lovely and accommodating, even although we arrived early, our room was available and were checked in at 1pm with no fuss.

The bedrooms and bathrooms Are simply gorgeous - some of the nicest I have ever seen. So comfortable and spacious with gorgeous contemporary styling.

We then went to the spa which was amazing - very relaxing although it did start to get busy around 4pm so I would suggest perhaps going earlier.

We had booked an early dinner as we had theatre tickets in the restaurant. With the square deal, you can either have a £22 allowance from the a la carte menu or 3 courses from the market menu. I found the market menu a bit unappealing - mains of braised pig cheeks, duck or risotto but as we did not know about the allowance and this was not explained, we thought we had to order from this. The dish I ordered was uncooked and I edible BUT the staff were fantastic and I did get this changed. I then ordered from the main menu (which is very expensive) and the food was gorgeous.

All in all, this is a fantastic city break, the surroundings are beautiful, the staff are exceptionally helpful and it does have an air of elegance and opulence.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dundee34
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I loved this hotel, the decor is just lovely. The staff are so attentive and chatty. They also can't do enough to help you - they were very lovely and got me a charger for my phone.. which was much appreciated.

The cocktails were simply divine and mine wasn't on the menu but they put it together for me anyway. I love this place and will be back soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We visited this hotel for our first anniversary. The staff were all lovely and made us feel very welcome. We loved relaxing in the beautiful spa and enjoyed the food during dinner and breakfast but it was the little surprise of complimentary drinks and a slate with chocolates on it which was a lovely touch. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere special to stay and can't wait to go back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We visited this hotel for my husbands 50th birthday. The hotel is beautiful and the service is first class, very worthy of five stars!! Its the best nights sleep we have ever had in a city centre hotel, so quiet! All the staff were very friendly and made us feel so comfortable, especially Liam during lunch and breakfast. Our lunch was really tasty, as was the Prosecco they surprised us with for my husbands birthday. We also received a lovely birthday slate with chocolates in our room, all in all, our stay was fantastic and hopefully we will be back again soon!

Room Tip: Room 359 was so quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

We are regulars at the Blythswood and have had some memorable evenings and I have marked highly in the past but I feel the standards are slipping. On our last stay for my wife's birthday, our first room had a real stench and we had to move room. This was done swiftly by reception but a hotel of this standard and prices shouldn't let anyone inhabit these rooms. We also noticed our 2nd room had some bulbs out and loose wires but we didn't want to make a fuss about this. The room inspections need to be more thorough.

The real letdown was breakfast. They either overbooked or weren't prepared for the numbers but we had to wait 45mins to get a table. Then after ordering, we waited another half hour only to discover our order had been forgotten. It ruined our experience and doubt we will be back. Some of our friends have had similar experiences. I think they need to raise their game before losing more customers

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LanarkshireTraveller
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stayed only one night as visiting Glasgow to attend a concert . Staying at Blythswood to add a bit of luxury and make for a special night away . The main reception is beautiful and the staff very efficient and friendly . On arriving at our room we found the main area quite average and had same problem as previous reviewer regarding no socket near mirror to dry hair . The bathroom however was stunning - deep marble bath , with separate rain drench shower this redeemed the otherwise bland bedroom . We had cocktails in the bar which were excellent as was the service . Helpful with choices and recommendations . Now for breakfast - completely disorganised , once seated we ordered our hot food and made our way to the buffet . The cold buffet was fine , again nothing to write home about but ok . The problem arose when after 40 mins we still didn't have our hot breakfast and we're still sitting with dirty starter plates . When I eventually got someone's attention to enquire what had happened I was told the kitchen was very busy - no apology and still didn't clear the plates ! Another 10 minutes passed and our cooked items arrived - I had ordered eggs Benedict which had very little hollandaise sauce again this would normally be a treat so was a bit disappointed and my partner had an omelette which he couldn't eat as it was still raw in the middle. No enquiry if everything was ok and again sat with dirty plates for 20 mins . During this time it seemed staff were blissfully unaware of any issue and managers were chatting and joking . At no point did it appear that they were really busy or stretched . My partner was becoming increasingly angry ( and hungry ) so in the end called over a manager to remove our dirty plates and also explained about the uncooked omelette .The manager offered to get a fresh one cooked but by that time we were pretty fed up and left . So this is a nice hotel with some luxurious areas but not the 5 star they promote .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple