“The Magic of Glasgow”

Ranked #14 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The Magic of Glasgow”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Our recent visit to the Blythswood Square Hotel was just perfect.

Simple as that, great location, facilities, staff, wonderful accommodation.

What more do you need to enjoy yourself ! the recipe is simple :-)

If you cant enjoy yourself here you had better just stay home.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed December 1, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

People obviously eat really early in Glasgow. Booked a table for 8:30 or 9:00 which would be a perfectly reasonable time to start a meal in London, Edinburgh or New York, by the end of the main course we were the only people left in the restaurant although there was a very boisterous party going on in the adjacent private dining area. At this point the service became rather slow (actually that's putting it mildly).

A obviously new member of staff was tried to hurry us out. To be fair on seeing this one of her colleagues was clearly horrified and made it clear we will welcome to stay as long as we wished.

Service on arrival had been excellent as it was until the restaurant started to empty. If restaurants don't want late diners, the really shouldn't take late reservations but then I wouldn't call 9 PM late. The food itself was exceptional and I think I would keep their again although I'd probably make sure to book and early table in future so as to not inconvenience the staff. Also enjoyed an excellent cocktail on the first floor afterwards.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ianx1london
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

We were offerd a standard room that came with a surround system that was broken and were told nothing could be done,which was ok as we don't need it. Then we were told we can get music in the bathroom which also did not work, again not a problem as we didn't need to use it. Then we tried to use the shower and bath which did not work and we were asked to use the spa to shower as a "quick fix" while they would try to get a plumber. UNBELIEVABLE! U pay for a 5 star service and get no star service. SAVE YOUR MONEY REALLY NOT WORTH IT AT ALL!

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank eyecyus
Kilbirnie
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Enjoying a birthday gift
An Afternoon tea for two
First impression on approach to the hotel was excellent
Only to have the inside door opened and greeted with Hi Ya by the door man
We didn't think this was becoming of a hotel of this class.
It is nice to be greeted but in the proper way .
When arriving in the Salon it was as expected staff made you welcome took our coats
Then directed us to our table .
Cakes and scones very good
Sandwiches far to small specially if you had to pay full cost.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William W
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I cannot review the hotel itself as I visited The Salon only. However, my experience was lovely! My daughter-in-law took me there today for a surprise afternoon tea. The hotel overlooks the beautiful square and we were a bit worried about the entrance steps, as we were accompanied by my 3 month old grandson. A staff member dashed out and took the pram inside for us, then directed us to the lift. At The Salon entrance another young man opened the doors to get junior's chariot through. The room is split with the bar at one side and the quieter lounge at the other. We were seated in the lounge and a waiter explained what was on the Duchess of Bedford afternoon tea menu. Minutes later it was served and we weren't disappointed. The little cakes, scones and sandwiches were all delicious and served on the traditional 3 tier stand - what a treat! We were offered top ups on the tea and felt so comfortable in the beautifully appointed room. I would recommend the afternoon tea for a special treat in such a lovely setting.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
EDINBURGH
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I would highly recommend this if you need somewhere to stay in Glasgow city centre as the rooms are well appointed and the food good. The location gives easy access to the main shopping streets and art galleries/museums either on foot or by public transport/taxi. More importantly, I found all the hotel staff both efficient and more than willing to go the extra mile to be helpful.

Certainly not the cheapest but I think good value (particularly the Spa!) and they often have special offers - worth checking out...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Parking lanes outside are free overnight then £6 for 2 hours which starts from 8am. Always a concern if you are going somewhere you aren't familiar with...

I was greeted by a really helpful and polite receptionist with a super quick check in.

The room was adequate, pleasantly furnished - the photos on the website don't do it justice! When I checked in I did get offered an upgrade to the Penthouse for a reasonable top up on what id paid but declined. If the wife had have been with me I would have probably taken the offer up. Always nice to be asked the option though!

Facilities are very good. Very clean, very polite staff. Modern-ish jazz back ground music playing to lift the ambience of the place.

I didn't eat in for the evening meal but the breakfast was good. The chef does a mean poached egg on toast!

I did use the Spa which was excellent. Very clean and again adequately kitted out, Sauna, Steam plunge pool and relaxation heated beds - my wife would approve which is always a good sign! The pool was of good size. the only downside was that I couldn't have spent more time in the spa!

Good representation of the business by all the staff - largely down to the lady on reception! I wouldn't look for an alternative in Glasgow now - I applaud the Manager for his recruitment criteria.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business