“Absolutely Fabulous”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed at the Blythswood last night and It was fabulous the attention to detail in the hotel and the room which has been thoughtfully designed and soooo comfortable. The staff are so welcoming and helpful and catered for everything with a huge smile, even when we were a bit late for breakfast! If you are going to Glasgow stay here.

There are newer reviews for Blythswood Square

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We loved the location of the hotel, the staff were fantastic and the room was great. We enjoyed breakfasts -- the continental breakfast was the most generous we had on our trip throughout Scotland (and we had some very nice breakfasts).

I only wish we had known that the Sunday we arrived all of downtown would be closed off for a cycling event. It was very difficult to say the least and we lost much of the afternoon to this traffic nightmare.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

glasgow is a hip city with a buzzin music scene. thought I'd treat myself and crash in one of the citys best hotels. without doubt this is an ultra plush hotel. From the moment you enter the word is COOL. Weird but wonderful red velour seating AND lighting in the foyer. (apparently, the square USED to be the red light district so they're payin homage. My room is huge, very well set out and with all mod cons. BUT, no kiddin, theres no windows. its like a very posh cell. whatever. this place is fabulous. If you just won the lottery, try it out.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I reviewed Blythswood back in 2010 and have been back many times since then, last time was Saturday 1st June. I have to say I think I was too hard on the place in that first review, but my feelings on the corridor areas away from main reception remain the same, they are nothing special and not exactly what I think of when I think five star. They’re not bad, as in dirty or worn etc, just as I say, nothing special.

I have to temper that with saying the public areas really are special though, very nicely done from the main reception through to the restaurant and the upstairs bar which is beautiful.

However, I have to say on every visit to Blythswood there’s always something amiss or wrong in my room. Be that light fittings with the insides hanging down, badly cleaned sink or TV on the fritz. In fact the badly cleaned sink is getting to be a staple of my stays and the TVs have always been a little temperamental. The sound system that plays throughout the room and bathroom too, I’ve never had explained to me how to adjust the volume or ever managed too – don’t know if that’s me or drained batteries in the controller each and every time? Oh, and on one memorable stay last autumn, the key card didn’t work and I had to be given a cut key to use to lock and unlock my room door – oh and separator door to the toilet was missing! You could see the hinges etc but the door just wasn’t there – there in all the other rooms of this type I’d been in, but missing in that one. When I queried it I was told it was a “feature” and when I said I’d been to the hotel many times and never noted this feature previously was told that some rooms have a separator door to the toilet and some don’t – so I just got flannelled. Like the time with the TV on the fritz, the maintenance man tried every which way, shaking and fiddling with cables, and finally something ‘clicked’ and it came on. That was it ‘fixed’ apparently. Thereafter throughout my weekend I had to play that game with the TV whenever I switched it off to go out and come back in. Sometimes it came on within a couple of tries, sometimes I was stood there at this for 15mins trying to get it to work. Just as I say, there’s always something amiss, which there just shouldn’t be.

The breakfast I was hard on in that first review remains adequate. Nice enough, OK, but not really worth the price unless it’s part of your room rate. Was memorable last breakfast as a couple beside us were getting great apologies on how slow their order had been to complete. I didn’t have that complaint but that was obviously their “always something” moment for Blythswood.

The staff are great and very helpful I’ve found. There’s a chap who looks after the door and other things, who’s very friendly and always good chat. The service in the restaurant and bar is excellent, and is a nice experience to dine and drink there, would definitely recommend there…oh and just remembered at Christmas, ate in the restaurant and the knives weren’t all that clean and our order for steaks were incorrectly taken: I got rare when I asked for well done my partner vice versa. Given that we'd ordered different steaks, couldn't really just swap the plates round! So again, there is just always something amiss with the place, never 100%. – but it’s getting to be that I expect it, and it’s never that annoying (well sometimes like the missing door and TV it is), place isn’t Fawlty Towers or anything(!), I still recommend it, but it just is what it is, and I forgive it because what it does get right is 90%+ of it, and makes up for it. But I’ve never had the fabled "perfect" stay as yet :) Thus I can’t give it 5 stars, on average it makes four, but it is a five star setting.

1  Thank T_ManAberdeen
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This fab hotel in the near West End of Glasgow (five minutes walk to Queen Street Station) is splendid. Generous sized rooms, super comfy large beds, marble fitted bathrooms (perhaps the brown was a mistake?), friendly and helpful staff, great buffet and cooked breakfasts. I will probably always stay here from now on when I visit Glasgow. Great for business, singles, couples,all occasions.

Room Tip: Best to be upstairs if possible
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Have had breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, cocktails here and am looking forward to my next visit. The staff are friendly, efficient, and nothing is a problem for them It is somewhere I really enjoy visiting and know that I will enjoy everything there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed using the square deal, which included an overnight stay, breakfast, dinner and use of the thermal experience.

My husband worked on the renovation of the hotel so was keen to take me to see the finished article! The hotel is beautiful, modern and feels very luxurious!

Our room was very cosy with lovely furnishings and an amazing marble bathroom, loved that the bathroom could open up into the bedroom using the doors at the bath!

Dinner and breakfast was delicious, had the best cote du boeuf we hae ever tried!

Now the spa... I have since visited several times for spa days and afternoon tea! The spa is the best I've ever been to! Feels like you are in a different world and a great range of treatments on offer! I would highly recommend one of the wrap treatments! The thermal experience is also lovely and relaxing and really does feel like your a million miles away!

Overall we love this hotel, I've stayed in many luxury hotels including the likes of Cameron house ect and Blythswood really has topped them all!

Will be returning in the near future!!

• Stayed: September 2012