“Excellent spa; sample this hotel on the Square deal package.”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed the square deal package at this hotel back in November 2012. The Spa is the highlight of this hotel and definitely worth a visit - lots of different spa rooms to relax in, and great ambient lighting. The bedroom we were in was a standard room - not the biggest - but it did have nice contemporary decor and a good sized bathroom. Our bulb in the bedside lamp was broke, and our pitcher of beer was missing in action, but both minor issues were resolved very quickly by the efficient reception staff. I'd describe this hotel as bustling - it's in the heart of the city, and attracts a range of people for drinks post work, cocktails early evening and staying guests. Our meal as part of the DBB package was lovely - the restaurent was full - and we enjoyed drinks on our return to the hotel at the end of the evening. Breakfast was good - eggs benedict were to a high standard. I've had a friend comment to me that they'd heard mixed reviews of this hotel, however our experience was positive and I would return. The spa would be fab for a girlie day out with friends. Overall I think it's a hotel worth going to, and it is good value to try it out on the hotel's "Square Deal" package.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,828)

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

The Spa is brilliant and well worth a visit. Room good, especially bath, but ventilation poor and not much isolation from noise of traffic outside. Cocktails excellent but food only average. Overall good value on Hotel's "Square Deal" package.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Had a great time here, lovely room, great service, great food and pleasant staff. In a good location, parking nearby - a pain having to pay for parking but of course to be expected so central in a city. Beautiful views over the square and the spa is to die for. Will most definitely be returning.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed at this beautiful hotel for one night in early April. I was traveling alone and had never been to Glasgow. I had booked a spa appointment and was treated to a heavenly experience. Don't hesitate to indulge - it was so relaxing and helped with jet lag immensely! After traveling from the States it was just what I needed. Everyone at the hotel was helpful and the service was great. However, Tom, the Concierge, truly went above and beyond the call of duty. First, he arranged a car for me to travel to Oban since the train schedule was not conducive to my travel plans. Then when I accidentally left my travel portfolio at the hotel, I called Tom and he tracked it down for me and had it overnighted to my B&B in Oban. My worries were put at ease, and it was such a relief and allowed me to enjoy the next stop on my trip. I can't wait to return to Glasgow and of course, to Blythswood Square.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here for one night , 2nd time here.
Lovely Room, great food.

Bar has very nice atmosphere and wide range of cocktails.

Staff very friendly and helpful.
A bit of Luxury !!!
Spa facilities are brilliant with really good facilities !!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed one night at this hotel on a recent trip. Rooms were large, the service was great as was the food; I had a TV dinner in my room on arrival and breakfast. If I were being picky, I had a room on the ground floor at the front of house and it was a little noisy when cars passed; that said my stay very relaxing. Perhaps a bit on the pricey side but would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Blythswood last year and although the experience is what I would describe as "average" we decided to give it another try.

Pretty big mistake. The staff, as last time, are very pleasant and polite but the service is impersonal. It is a bit like staying in a large Hilton or Marriott property rather than a boutique place. In my view it is personal service and individuality that makes a place like this different and it doesn't really have either.

The first room we were given was dark, dingy and with bars over the windows. It was like a prison cell. Fortunately they moved us to another room but if you are unlucky enough to be stuck with one of those rooms somehow your "five star" experience won't meet expectations.

The worst thing about Blythswood though is how much you feel ripped off at every turn. Let us take the simple example of water. Tap water in the room is totally undrinkable and they charge you for mineral water. One Devonshire Gardens don't by the way. My partner asked for a bottle of mineral water with his breakfast instead of tea or coffee and they had the audacity to put a bill for it on the table when they brought the water over. I have stayed in a few five star hotels in my time and you do expect to pay a lot of money for things but this actually oversteps the mark and gets into genuinely bad service.

Overall I can see people have been impressed by this place but for me it really doesn't deliver what it should. I will stick to One Devonshire Gardens from now on.

• Stayed: April 2013