“Nice hotel, friendly staff. Good food.”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed one night at this hotel on a recent trip. Rooms were large, the service was great as was the food; I had a TV dinner in my room on arrival and breakfast. If I were being picky, I had a room on the ground floor at the front of house and it was a little noisy when cars passed; that said my stay very relaxing. Perhaps a bit on the pricey side but would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Blythswood Square

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Blythswood last year and although the experience is what I would describe as "average" we decided to give it another try.

Pretty big mistake. The staff, as last time, are very pleasant and polite but the service is impersonal. It is a bit like staying in a large Hilton or Marriott property rather than a boutique place. In my view it is personal service and individuality that makes a place like this different and it doesn't really have either.

The first room we were given was dark, dingy and with bars over the windows. It was like a prison cell. Fortunately they moved us to another room but if you are unlucky enough to be stuck with one of those rooms somehow your "five star" experience won't meet expectations.

The worst thing about Blythswood though is how much you feel ripped off at every turn. Let us take the simple example of water. Tap water in the room is totally undrinkable and they charge you for mineral water. One Devonshire Gardens don't by the way. My partner asked for a bottle of mineral water with his breakfast instead of tea or coffee and they had the audacity to put a bill for it on the table when they brought the water over. I have stayed in a few five star hotels in my time and you do expect to pay a lot of money for things but this actually oversteps the mark and gets into genuinely bad service.

Overall I can see people have been impressed by this place but for me it really doesn't deliver what it should. I will stick to One Devonshire Gardens from now on.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights last weekend, for my sisters in law's wedding.. It didn't take us long to say 'great choice'!
The hotel is in the city centre opposite a attractive green square.
Check in was always welcoming & helpful, as was the ever attentive bellmen, our room was seriously impressive, with stunning panelling around a unusual window opening and romantic option to the finally fitted out ensuite bathroom. The large 'rainhead' shower head made us want to fit one at home.
The wedding was in the nicely done out panelled basement rooms, with its moving walls and a well kept bar.
The bed was a little soft for us, and they seemed to be having a problem with the room key system, which they were very apologetic about, on a couple of occasions someone would accompany us up to the room to make sure we got in ok.
Breakfast was outstanding, especially the amazing cold buffet area.
Overall all I'd say this was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed, with apart from what I've mentioned above nothing else that wasn't perfect!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a lovely time at the Blytheswood Square Hotel. The service was outstanding. We spent a lovely afternoon in the spa and had a late lunch and a few drinks. The room was a good size with a lovely bathroom and great facilities. We spent the evening out of the hotel, but have ate here before and it is normally an excellent meal. We had a late breakfast, which was great and a late check out. All in all a very relaxing, pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great, friendly and helpful staff, nice rooms and bathrooms, but the breakfast let me down a little. As I needed to get away to a meeting, I helped myself to the buffet, but the tea and cooked bits took too long that I nearly left without having any.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We recently stayed in the Blythswood Hotel recently on one of their deals. The staff at reception were extremely helpful when we arrived and they could not do enough for us. Our room was beautiful, overlooking the square. We used the Spa facilities and my only comment would be that it was a bit gloomy! Dinner was good but we felt that the staff were not very friendly (no chat) and that the food arrived very quickly with no time in between courses. My breakfast was a bit cold and handed it back to the waiter - would need to say that it came back cold again but with a very hot plate! Would be happy to go back again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Although the hotel is beautiful and in a good location, I was shocked by the poor level of customer service in relation to a complaint. I had booked two twin rooms for my 40th birthday celebration only to find that I had been provided with double rooms on arrival. The hotel has repeatedly refused to admit its error although I could not be more certain of my ground! In addition, an upgrade arranged by my friend's brother was so poorly administered that she did not get the opportunity to stay in the suite! It had however been spoiled by the need to utilize the sofa bed that was extremely uncomfortable! I have yet to receive a proper response to my letter of complaint - instead the hotel has ignored my circumstances and has dealt only with the individual who paid for the upgrade! What about my complaint? It was my Birthday weekend and my booking after all! Needless to say, I won't be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends