“Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #14 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a fabulous day & night at the hotel.

Great bar that does wee plates for a light lunch & serves delicious Provence Rose wine by the carafe as well as amazing cocktails.

A spa that is so unique with the most amazing hydro therapy pool & a lovely Polish spa therapist who was lovely & extremely attentive.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was one of the best we've ever had. The chateaubriand carved at the table was sensational served with the yummy twice cooked chips & Bernaise. Breakfast was great - at last a hotel that offers bacon rolls!!

Staff were lovely throughout & our welcome made us feel truly special. A lovely bedroom with everything we needed & more. Only suggestion - for old eyes the signage throughout was hard to read as it was so dark (room & spa).

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had a 2 night stay here with my boyfriend, it was amazing. From arrival to departure we were made very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. Staff were always polite wether dealing directly with them or simply passing them in the corridor. The room was luxurious, spacious and comfortable with everything we needed for our stay. I personally liked the tunnocks tea cakes. During our stay we visited The Salon where we had some cocktails. Very nice. The second night we made full use of the Spa and restaurant. The Spa was popular but with so many things to do didn't appear crowded. The ice fountain was the bf's favourite. Too cold for me but try it. Restaurant food and service was of a very good standard. Breakfast on both days included a cooked option and a very good continental option that was laid out very well. I was impressed.

• Stayed March 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed at the Blythswood Hotel for one night and felt looked after from the moment we arrived, staff were professional, friendly and eager to help, rooms were clean and modern, marble bathroom was sheer luxury. The restaurant was relaxed and the food was amazing with good portion sizes (Market menu), great choice in cocktails too! Spa facilities and treatments were excellent. Would recommend the Blythswood and look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is a lovely hotel and I only don't rate it as 'excellent' because it is rather difficult to find your way around and there is not really adequate signing (I met a couple of couples wandering around looking slightly desperate!) On the plus side it is situated in a lovely square, the staff are completely sweet and helpful and tea in the 'salon' (oddly described as being on the first floor when actually it was on the second) was delightful. All in all, a good experience.

PS I wasn't that mad about the spa.....it was slightly depressing rather than uplifting

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed here for an Easter weekend break with my young daughters and from start to finish, this was fab!! We always stay at 5 star hotels but the Blythswood is what I expect at this level. It far exceeds any of the other hotels I've stayed in Glasgow.
Being the old RAC building, there is a motoring theme throughout the hotel, bar and restaurant and the decor is luxurious and tasteful.
My room overlooked Blythswood square and was spacious and extremely comfortable. There was a massive freestanding bath in the bathroom with a seperate shower and piles of thick fluffy pure white towels (my favourite).
We dined 3 times in the restaurant during our stay and the food and service were excellent....and I must mention the cocktail list :-)
I could go on but to summarise, this hotel was an excellent find. I felt thoroughly spoiled after this break and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: My room overlooked Blythswood square which made it bright and airy although there's a bit of tra...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We were lucky enough to have 2 nights at Blythswood Square on a bed and breakfast basis.

The location was great - only 10 minutes walk from the train station and into the shopping area of Glasgow.

We were allocated a room in the newer part of the building - floor 3. As the hotel only has 1 lift there was a bit of a wait at times, and when the lift arrived full at times it was just as easy to use the stairs.

The room itself was beautiful - very well appointed with a very luxurious marble bathroom. The bed was very comfy, the bath nice and deep and plenty of hot water with good pressure from the shower. My only criticism of the room was the lighting. Now I know everyone uses energy saving lights, and its much more atmospheric to have low level mood lighting, and indeed the room did look lovely BUT being a female I had an absolute nightmare with my makeup. The lights in the bedroom were far too low, no matter where I sat, and there was no natural light at all. I couldn't even use the bathroom as the lamps in there were also quite low and gave a yellow tint to everything.

We also had the pleasure to use the Spa which was wonderful. I had a hot stone massage which was fabulous, and both myself and my partner used the spa facilities for an hour or so afterwards - very nice.

Breakfast in the morning was lovely - a good variety of food and well presented buffet offerings. There was never a wait and the food was prompt and served with a smile.

We used the cocktail bar both evenings pre dinner (non-hotel both times) and it was great to see such a variety of drinks available - although some were a tad pricy..... £10 for Long Island Iced Tea - delicious as it was. It was also great to be able to request a taxi, and have them let you know when it was waiting downstairs.

If we ever had the chance to visit Glasgow again we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Lovely hotel in pretty square only about 15 mins walk from the main shops. Our room was at the front, overlooking the square and we were not aware of any noise (I have previously stayed at the Malmaison 2 minutes away and was woken at dawn every day by noisy deliveries).

Room was small but very comfortable. Bathroom very dark but definitely had the "wow" factor.

Salon bar on first floor pleasant for a quiet nightcap (although expensive). My companion made use of the early morning "free" spa time, time which she enjoyed but said she wouldn't have paid £20 for. Fortunately she took her own toiletries with her, but she did hear other ladies having to pass shampoo etc between shower stalls since there was nothing for them to use.

Breakfast was very good. Staff were exceptionally friendly and efficient. Although cooked breakfast was included in our rate, we chose to stick to the continental option, since we had a lunch planned. The continental table was a delight, and the self-service Bloody Mary's a nice touch, touch which we took full advantage of!

Check in/out and concierge service was very efficient. My only criticism is that for this standard of hotel it was disappointing to have to carry our bags up and down the fairly steep entrance steps, and struggle with the double doors. Unfortunately the reception/concierge desks are situated out of sight of the doors, so apparently staff do not see if anyone is arriving. I'm sure there must be a way of overcoming this.

Room Tip: A room at the front affords a great sight on a sunny morning!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends