“Best hotel I've stayed in!”
Review of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square
Ranked #13 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best hotel I've stayed in!”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stayed here recently for my birthday and it was tremendous from start to finish. Checking in was quick and easy and our bags were taken up to our room. We had booked a standard room but there was nothing standard about it! Gorgeous decor, massive TV, ipod docking and the bathroom was amazing! I could easily have stayed in the room if I hadn't been going out!

We didn't eat in the hotel but we had a couple of cocktails in The Salon (beautiful decor)before going out and they were delicious. The menu was great and the service second to none, loved that water and crisps were provided as soon as we sat down.

We got back to the hotel around midnight and had a drink in the residents bar, same great service and delicious cocktails.

I nearly couldn't get out of the comfy bed to go for breakfast but was glad I did! It was so good!

All in all an amazing hotel, with loads of wee touches you expect from a 5 star. I will definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We had a "square deal" package at the Blythswood Hotel a few weekends ago - dinner, bed, breakfast, bottle of bubbly, and access to thermal spa experience for £160. It's a good hotel but we encountered several small problems and annoyances that really shouldn't happen in a five star hotel. This was a "staycation" for us as we live in Glasgow.

Check-in was uneventful and we were shown to our room by a member of staff. The room was very nicely furnished and decorated (see photos) and for a standard room was a decent size.

Housekeeping delivered beer to our room rather than the bottle of bubbly included in our package, but obliged with the Prosecco when we requested this - albeit delivered almost 45 minutes later.

We went down to the spa and encountered two members of housekeeping staff bickering with one another in the corridor as we passed by - this obviously didn't affect us, but isn't quite what one expects from a five star hotel.

In the spa area I was shown into the changing area by a female member of staff (I'm male) and was asked to go in first "to check noone was changing" before she came in with me - surely in a five star hotel they'd employ a male attendant too?!

The thermal spa experience is very nice actually, and is worth a look if you happen to be staying at the hotel, though I wouldn't pay the exorbitant cost to just go there for a few hours. There are several rooms with different temperatures and combinations of humid heat, dry heat, warmer and cooler pools etc. On our way back to the room we had to wait about 6 minutes for the lift to come (there's just one lift and it's not the fastest in the world), and when we asked where the stairs were instead we were told there aren't stairs! (though I suspect for fire escape reasons there must be).

We ate in the restaurant that evening from the market menu, which is included with this package, and were sorely disappointed. We are both "normal" sized people, and were both still extremely hungry after our 3 course "meal". The portion size is miniscule, and quite honestly was far below what we expected from a five star hotel restaurant, and well below other 4 and 5 star hotels and their restaurants we have dined in around the world. The quality of the food was ok but certainly couldn't be described as fine dining.

Back in our room we had a bath and were then very surprised to find there were no bathrobes. When we called reception someone brought two up right away, but when we asked we were told they were not routinely placed in standard rooms. We also noted a listing of "your in-room amenities" in the room information booklet, a few of which were missing from our room (eg shower cap) - again not massive problems, but an irritation in an apparently perfect five star hotel.

We watched a movie at night, though I only discovered these were provided free of charge when I called reception (yet again) because the "view my bill" feature suggested I'd purchased the same film about 5 times, when I'd accidentally gone back to the main menu instead of pausing the film as I was setting it up. Surely it'd be nice to mention this somewhere in the hotel information leaflet!

We slept very well despite the minor niggles, and breakfast was much better than dinner.

Overall we were disappointed with the Blythswood and probably wouldn't return; we'd also recommend that friends stay elsewhere. Several simple issues like the stocking of items in rooms, staff behaviour in public area etc all need to be addressed, but most significantly they need to seriously improve their restaurant offering.

nallera, Manager at Blythswood Square, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. We will take your comments on board, however, should you wish to discuss this further we would be delighted to hear from you. Please email natalie@thetownhousecollection.com.
Glasgow
Reviewed May 26, 2011

This was a great place to stay after our wedding day! The room was beautiful and felt very luxurious.The market menu in the restaurant was a lovely bonus instead of having to pay a lot for a la carte and the atmosphere was simply one of calm and relaxation.The spa was excellent also and something a bit different.I also noticed that compared to a lot of hotels where you sometimes have doors banging/people in the hall/ etc, this hotel was very quiet and you felt that the rooms were well sound proofed! All in all, a great place to stay in Glasgow.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Loved this hotel. Great service. Excellent breakfast. Wonderful room service for dinner.We could not have been happier. best place to stay in Glasgow.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I booked a "wee classic" room, when showed up to it I thought I'd been upgraded, it was large and luxurious. Modern, stylish, luxurious, no down side. For £108 per night it's only slightly dearer than the Premier Lodge I used the time before but is miles better.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We booked last minute and got a good deal by calling up for their best rate.
The hotel is fabulous, every bit of it feels 5 star and we were really impressed. The decor is fantastic, the service was great, location was just West of the city centre so ideal location. We had a B&B rate, but paid the additoinal £5 to have it in our room each morning, it was fantastic - the range on the menu on offer was great and excellent quality.
I cant really criticise the hotel at all, other than perhaps the bathroom was darkly lit (being petty here!!) and the parking is very expensive if you need to take a car (which we didnt)...but it's the best hotel we've stayed at and had a brilliant time. Loved it.

Room Tip: Call reception for their best last minute rate.