“Reasonable food, slow service”

Absurd Bird Glasgow
Reserve a Table
DesignMyNight
Ranked #574 of 2,895 Restaurants in Glasgow
Description: Born out of a passion for great food, drink and a love affair with the deep south. Absurd Bird will take your on a journey full of colour and flavours. We also have a huge love for Country music with Dolly and Johnny Cash donning our walls and their greatest hits playing. Sit back and let us look after you.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Booked Absurd Bird for dinner with a few friends on a recommendation from a colleague who had said the food was very good (including veggie options).

On arrival the restaurant is decorated in a quirky fashion to go along with the food which gives a pleasant atmosphere. It was reasonably busy when we arrived although certainly not bursting at the seams.

Eventually we ordered our food. Two sets of AB Waffles, Vaffles, Buffalo Wings and a few sides. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. About 45 minutes later our food turned up. The hanger was intense at this point.

The chicken with the AB Waffles was lukewarm at best and a bit dry. The waffles themselves and the gravy were quite nice. Disappointing for something I thought was a sort of signature dish.

The Vaffles were quite good according to my friend. The Spinach and Artichoke dip was delicious and we all had to try some.

The buffalo wings were probably the highlight for me, they were huge and also delicious. Certainly competing with Buck's as promised.

We went on to order dessert which also took much longer than expected. Milkshakes were just ok and the staff forgot a coffee as part of the order. When I eventually received the coffee it was so bitter it was undrinkable and it was kindly deducted from the bill.

Overall a bit of a mixed experience for us. There is certainly some good food on the menu but I'm not sure it was worth all the waiting around.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (172)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Looking for a place to grab a bite and a couple of cocktails on a Saturday evening and we were not disappointed. Loved the decor and the atmosphere as soon as we walked in. Seated in a comfy booth as our waitress explained the full menu to us. Extensive cocktail menu left us spoilt for choice (and with prices between £3.95 and £5.95 we were certainly tempted to sample a few)!! Chose to share a bucket of Chicken and Waffles with a side of Mac Cheese. Chicken was tender and tasty and waffles were delicious. My daughter agreed the Mac Cheese was one of the best she's ever had...and she knows her Mac cheese!! Spoke to manager Chris for a while...he was very chatty as were all staff who provided service with a smile and made sure our glasses were never empty! Oh and the random mix of music was fab too! All in all a great night and we will definitely be back!!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This was my second visit to absurd bird - the first time I visited was with friends in May and we thoroughly enjoyed our meals, cocktails etc but sadly chose the wrong night as the quiz master was incredibly rude and singled people out. Don’t know if it was meant to be funny, perhaps part of the act and we just didn’t enjoy his humour however we left halfway through the quiz. On my second visit I found the menu had completely changed and was really quite boring. Cocktails £5.85 and good value (a good thing considering how overpriced everything else is on the menu). No wonder they are big on sauces (£1 each, eeeek) here because the chicken is tasteless and the chips are skinny frozen fries. I wanted so badly to enjoy this place but it’s just not worth the money regardless of the friendly staff or fab decor :(

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Thought we would try this place as visiting daughter in glasgow, food was amazing which we all enjoyed! Staff were friendly and welcoming. Cant wait to visit again

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Wanted to try and new restaurant with a friend and chose this place! We both walked in and instantly loved the look of the place, it felt like we were on a film set! Had the AB Waffles - loved it but wasn’t too keen on the gravy so just left that, wish I’d had more maple syrup though for the portion size They had a live singer in who was fantastic - little loud, but nothing we couldn’t yell over Will be back one day when I’m not driving to try the cocktails!

Date of visit: September 2019
Absurd_Bird, General Manager at Absurd Bird Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hey RandomGal998

Happy days that you loved our good looks. Shame you didnt like our gravy as it works so well with the syrup and our tasty tasty chicken and waffles.

Please drop me an email to chris.pellow@absurdbird.com the next time you plan to pop in and i will shout you a wee cocktail for you and a friend.

Chris