“We plan to return”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Mixed reviews on Tripadvisor meant my wife and I were unsure about eating here but we are so glad we did. On a dreich Tuesday evening we were welcomed into this cosy dining-room and waited on attentively by two friendly (but not fat) ladies. Atmosphere was upmarket but not stuffy, just the way we like it. Same goes for the food - perfectly cooked whole plaice, filleted before being served with lemon and caper butter, with vegetables al dente and a superb bottle of Picpoul de Pinet. Not cheap, but you'll pay more and get less. We plan to return.

There are newer reviews for Two Fat Ladies City Centre

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is clearly an attempt at being a fish restaurant and it fails on so many counts.
The starters are very overpriced with things like scallops at a tenner what for 4 scallops??? we all opted for the sea food platter but at 22 quid just not worth it, accompanied by a bowl of veg between 3, the real shocker was a dessert at £18.50, get a grip.
I started with a warm Peroni! at which point does a waiter think " I must serve this warm". Its not what it should be, could be great

Reviewed January 26, 2013

2 things are needed in Glasgow or Edinburgh (or indeed any Scottish city) The TA app on your phone and Scotland the Best (STB). We were walking towards Sauchiehall St to go to the O2, needing something to eat, and passed 2 Fat Ladies, the TA app said 34 in Edinburgh and there was an STB label in the window.
We got the last table and enjoyed an exceptional 2 courses, lovely fish, cullen skink , and good service.
a definite YES!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was there for dinner mid-week. As a party of four we were seated at the last booth table next to the kitchen and toilet corridor. During the meal I watched a cook filleting fish on his blue cutting board. I do not recommend being seated at this table.
The bread which was thick slices of brown bread cut in half looked rather unappetizing and tasted of nothing.
We ordered scallops and black pudding and one scullen skink for starters. The three little scallops looked rather forlorn on the plate but tasted good. Salmon on fennel risotto with sun dried tomatoes was a bit on the stodgy side and I didn't find any taste of fennel in the risotto. There were too many pieces of the sun dried tomatoes. Fish pie looked pale with a few spurts of creamed potato on top. But I hear it tasted good if a bit bland. The wine was a Chianti.
Like John R in a previous review, we were served by the bearded man who seemed a bit stern and over efficient. But leaving the place he warmed up a bit, chatted a few words and smiled. Other server staff were friendly and nice. I would not go back as I think it was not good value for money and the food was nothing special.

1  Thank maxschreiber
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Visited this restaurant for the first time in December. After reading all the reviews I was expecting something wonderful. Unfortunately, this was not the case! Food was ok but definitely not worth the price. We ordered food for our 8 year old and was told there was no child's menu but she could order off the normal menu and she would get a smaller portion at a reduced price. When the bill came we were charged full price for our daughter. I was very disappointed with the toilet facilities. I definitely would not go back nor would I recommend it.