“Expensive but enjoyable”

Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery
Ranked #16 of 2,472 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European, Seafood, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Anderston
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My group of friends and I decided to break our budget a little bit to try out the food at this place. The atmosphere of the restaurant was good, and service was excellent... however it is quite an expensive place as the main courses are around 19-20 pounds. What I really liked about it was the complimentary selection of starter breads - the rosemary foccacia was to die for! At the end of the meal we were given a small array of desserts as well.

As for the mains, the portions aren't huge but it's pretty decent. Unfortunately the menu is a bit limited and they don't really have steaks and things like that. I had the chicken stuffed with salmon, crab and prawns and it was DELICIOUS. Really quite a pleasant meal.

Not too bad a place if you have the money.. but we were a group of students and we feel that the money wasn't really worth the meal. Still a very nice place with good food though!

1  Thank KKgirl93
There are newer reviews for Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery

Reviewed March 25, 2013

great atmosphere, nice service, good food but quite overpriced.... nice experience, but wouldn't go again....

2  Thank Petale1
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Myself and my gf visited the Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery for the first time this month. We were greeted with a very warm welcome and treated like royalty throughout which was a fantastic change to most of the tired restaurants and staff that saturate Glasgow these days. The wine was excellent (as it should've been at £7.50 for a small glass!) and even the fresh bread offerings impressed greatly, however things started to slip a little upon eating our starters. I had the cullen skink which had a generous portion of lovely, meaty haddock but the milky stock was under seasoned and quite bland. My girlfriends prawns were also very meaty and delicious, but £9.50 for 3 prawns and a dip felt a little steep. Staying positive, we looked forward to our mains of scallops and halibut. Again, at £22 for a main course the portions weren't exactly impressive. Thankfully I had stocked up on some more bread, but my gf was still feeling a little hungry afterwards. My halibut cut was again, well cooked with great texture but still a tad bland and underwhelming, and the scallops, although tasty enough, were far from being worth £22 for the portion that was presented. We'd visited cafe andaluz a couple of weeks before and the king scallops on their tapas menu beat these hands down, size wise and taste wise. We decided to order sweets and coffee to cap things off. Unfortunately, the looming cloud of 'overpriced' reared it's ugly head once again after biting into two scoops of average tasting ice cream and a simple syrup soaked sponge. The final cherry on the cake was the £7.90 total for 2 awful espressos. It's a shame good quality coffee is the last thing on most restaurants lists in this country, but it really can make the difference between a good and bad overall dining experience; especially when the impurities overpower the flavours of the coffee beans themselves. The petit fours were a great touch, but if we'd known they were 'compulsory' to push the price up, we would've passed this time round.

Regardless of the less than perfect experience, the service was faultless from start to finish and we were more than happy to leave a decent tip for the waitress that served us throughout.

Overall, I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone with a large annual salary where almost £100 on a meal for 2 is normal, but for couples looking for a once in a blue moon culinary treat, try somewhere else as great food and pleasant service really doesn't have to cost this much.

1  Thank CityCritic14
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Shame about the location - arrived by taxi so not too scary! Once inside it had a lovely eclectic feel and the food was good too. Wouldn't recommend as a romantic destination but has something different about it.

1  Thank Peche05
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had some trouble finding the restaurant initially when our taxi driver couldn't actually find it so we ended up getting out and walking. Luckily we weren't too far from it although the area didn't seem the best in the world.
When you walk through the door though, it's like being transported into a different world. Lovely, intimate decor and a lovely welcome as you arrive in the bar. Very enjoyable meal, almost faultless with the prawns as a starter and the chicken tasted fantastic, a real surprise.
Slight quibbles, the cheese board wasn't great and I would have liked someone to tell me about the cheeses before I ate them. To be honest, that's only a slight quibble. Oh yes, no Ardbeg whiskey on the Islay whiskey menu which didn't stop me finishing off the meal with a lovely Bunahabhin 18 year old.
Lovely meal and will definitely be back next time I'm in Glasgow again.

1  Thank pmur74